Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] Model S/X LHD Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Received a call today that came up with the Tesla number stored in my phone enquiring about the refunding of my deposit. They requested that I supply the IBAN, BIC and name on the account. Haven't yet done so as I have to find them!

I suggested that they just refund to the credit card but was told this is to be a BACS refund. Thinking about it later, some deposits are probably a few years old and the credit card may no longer be in place so it makes sense.

Anybody else had a similar call?

Reactions: Tomnook
Received a call today that came up with the Tesla number stored in my phone enquiring about the refunding of my deposit. They requested that I supply the IBAN, BIC and name on the account. Haven't yet done so as I have to find them!

I suggested that they just refund to the credit card but was told this is to be a BACS refund. Thinking about it later, some deposits are probably a few years old and the credit card may no longer be in place so it makes sense.

Anybody else had a similar call?
Yes. First a call asking if I wanted a 3/Y, and then one about the BACS refund.

Unless finance is ridiculously cheap - like 0% - I'm not interested. Depreciating asset which is going to lose 50% of its value
As Getty said: if it appreciates, buy it, if it depreciates, lease it.

You can ofc modify your mileage, arrange early settlement, and in the case of products like PCP, you have additional and robust consumer legislation on your side. Example: if the car turns out to be a lemon, it's the lender that has liability as "the supplier".

My MS had a projected value of £55K @3yrs but, clever me, I went with outright purchase safe in the knowledge it was the poster boy for EVs and one of the slowest depreciators on sale. It's now one of the fastest depreciators, is already worth less than the originally projected value, and I'm left carrying the can rather than the lender. Should have listed to Paul.

Reactions: WannabeOwner

I'm sure he would have taken the cost of the financing into account ...

You can ofc modify your mileage, arrange early settlement, and in the case of products like PCP, you have additional and robust consumer legislation on your side

Personally I'm not interested. I want the agility to change my mind and not have to spend time going through hoops with 3rd party. I'm more comfortable taking my own risk - that if my circumstances change I will be more out of pocket than if I had finance - vs. small print which might completely screw me over in those circumstances.

My accountant disagrees and thinks everything should be financed :)

Should have listened to Paul.

:)

But there have been other times when Tesla owners have sold / traded in at significant advantage ... but, yeah, finance would mean that you had an upfront, known, cost - my accountant loves that aspect :)

It would be nice to now the exact wither way... both as a leaser or a cash buyer.... You dont need to get everything right, just most things. Still think you done the right thing... not many new car appreciating short term.
I think the left-hand drive "option" has guaranteed the car's scarcity in this country - would guess at what, no more than a couple of dozen being sold? - and that will have helped shore up values a little. I don't know about older models actually appreciating just yet though.

I think the left-hand drive "option" has guaranteed the car's scarcity in this country - would guess at what, no more than a couple of dozen being sold? - and that will have helped shore up values a little. I don't know about older models actually appreciating just yet though.
why would it keep the values a bit? there will be massive amount of same LHD cars to choose from continent and even US for that matter.

RHD - yes, value will be there, because these will be a bit more sought after models. but new LHD? come on.

Reactions: Tomnook
by flatten I mean stop Model S market values making Disneyland ride noises every few weeks 😆

1685095746474.png

We paid £72k for our X in Dec 2016, at £25k trade in today that work out as £610/month in depreciation - Not sure you could ever lease a X for £610/month ever?

Probably more importantly the current actual out of pocket cost to us is £0/month, where as leasing = constant £££/month forever.

Leasing is great if you have infinite disposable income, but its rarely cheaper than buying a car and than just keep using it till it falls apart.

Reactions: Js1977
I think Getty saw the opportunity cost of investing the money to be much higher than the interest and other expenses in leasing.

Playing devils advocate (I also buy my cars and not lease them), if you’d bought 72k worth of Tesla stock 6 years ago it would be with about half a million now, the £600 a month lease wouldn’t feel so bad.

Of course investing and being able to get that type of return is far from guaranteed, Tesla nearly went under in that time. But that’s Gettys philosophy and he has better access to early investment than we do, and probably places many many investment bets and is happy if half of them go up strongly.

Reactions: Leytonstone
I think Getty saw the opportunity cost of investing the money to be much higher than the interest and other expenses in leasing.

Playing devils advocate (I also buy my cars and not lease them), if you’d bought 72k worth of Tesla stock 6 years ago it would be with about half a million now, the £600 a month lease wouldn’t feel so bad.

Of course investing and being able to get that type of return is far from guaranteed, Tesla nearly went under in that time. But that’s Gettys philosophy and he has better access to early investment than we do, and probably places many many investment bets and is happy if half of them go up strongly.

I remember buying the first iMac when Apple has just bought back Steve Jobs…….Apple share at the time were pennies I seem to remember!

Buy, lease, PCP you CANNOT escape depreciation. The most SENSIBLE thing to do when it comes to money and cars is to buy the cheapest car that will get you from A to B and do what ever you want with the rest of the money.

My boss drives a 6 year old 1.0 Polo, his face was one of pain when I told how much Teslas cost, he earns substantially more than me. One of the reason his the big boss is because his sensible when it comes to finances, and doesn’t waste it on stupid things like cars :).

• Love
Reactions: Js1977