TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

UK Order - deposit charged in USD?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by gjpgjp, Apr 10, 2016.

1. gjpgjp

gjpgjp New Member

I placed an order for a 3 expecting to pay 1000 GBP - I was in fact charged 1000 USD

Anyone experience the same?

2. harry

harry Member

Our Canadian reservation was converted to the U.S. dollar equivalent, costing us over $1300 Cdn.

3. hill

hill Member

Is that really a surprise? Either the buyer or seller or both (50/50 split?) must take a hit in conversion ... but if the deposit is $1,000 USD, then it is what it is.

4. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Active Member

That certainly isn't what the Tesla page says about reservation costs in different countries.

5. J1mbo

J1mbo Member

Wouldn't have minded, because the reservation fee was less than expected, however, the bank charged a "foreign currency fee" of 2.5% on top of a bad FX rate. Will be a bit complicated to correct, so hopefully Tesla will just leave it and reduce the final price by the actual amount paid.

6. AustinPowers

AustinPowers Total Smeghead

Same in Germany. Tesla homepage clearly states reservation is 1K Euro, not Dollar, yet my cc was charged with 1K Dollar instead. Of course I too had to pay the usual foreign currency fee, which ticked me off a little, but was could be even more of a problem would be if I chose to forfeit my reservation and get a refund sometime in the future. Depending on the exchange rate then I might win some or lose some.
    Not that I have the intention of not getting my Model 3, but still. Strange. I asked Tesla via mail about this yesterday. They promised to call me back within 48 hours. Let's wait and see what they say.

7. AustinPowers

But that's the point. According to the Tesla website it isn't. At least not over here. Or in the UK. Or Australia. Etc.

8. deonb

deonb Active Member

Ugh. Tesla must have given up over $10m as a result of this error.

9. J1mbo

J1mbo Member

How'd you work that out?

In some cases, 1000USD is more than the local currency reservation fee, in others less. But either way, they took 1000USD for the car.

10. Deepan

Deepan Member

Did mine over the weekend at the Heathrow showroom and my statement shows £733.18. no FX fee just yet, but i assume that to be an extra £20 on top.

11. deonb

deonb Active Member

CAD is the only one that's lower. Everything else is higher by ~$100. UK would have been $400 higher.

So multiply $100 by ~100'000 international reservations = $10m.

12. Yggdrasill

Yggdrasill Active Member

I was charged exactly 10k NOK. (Online reservation.)

13. Lawtq

Lawtq Member

I was charged £1000 UK pounds

14. gjpgjp

gjpgjp New Member

Mine was £679 after conversion, was a pleasant surprise not to be charged £1000.

• Like x 1
  15. gjpgjp

gjpgjp New Member

Will you keep us updated?

16. Smokkelaar

Smokkelaar Member

I was charged by 2000 euro (2x reservations) in the netherlands.
    I have paid on 31 march in the store.
    I used my MasterCard (Euro is main currency of this card).

17. AustinPowers

Definitely.
    As yet no reply.

18. AustinPowers

That was my first thought as well. But apart from having to pay fees for the currency exchange, the really unpleasant surprise might come once you have to finally pay for your Model 3.
    Say the exchange rate is more unfavorable then, you still only get deducted 1.000 USD, because that is what Tesla got from you. You might end up having paid 679 Pounds Sterling for your reservation, but might get a deduction of less than that. Of course it might also work the other way round, i.e. in our favor, but I just don't understand why they don't charge what they state on the website in the first place.

Very strange the whole process, especially considering that others (like Yggdrasill, Lawtq or Smokkelaar) were charged the correct amount in their respective local currency.

19. AustinPowers

Well, just came back from Tesla Frankfurt. They gave me the answer: I had used my Amex card.
    Had I used VISA or Mastercard, the charge would have been 1.000 Euro. The guy in the store said he would try to remedy the situation without me losing my reservation number. Let's see how this turns out. I am not getting my hopes up just yet.

Unfortunate that this wasn't stated on their reservation page or anywhere else for that matter. Had I known this, I would have just used my VISA card instead. :(

20. stupot42

stupot42 Member

My credit card statement came through and I was charged £1000. Did you reserve on-line?