Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Order - deposit charged in USD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wouldn't have minded, because the reservation fee was less than expected, however, the bank charged a "foreign currency fee" of 2.5% on top of a bad FX rate. Will be a bit complicated to correct, so hopefully Tesla will just leave it and reduce the final price by the actual amount paid.

Same in Germany. Tesla homepage clearly states reservation is 1K Euro, not Dollar, yet my cc was charged with 1K Dollar instead. Of course I too had to pay the usual foreign currency fee, which ticked me off a little, but was could be even more of a problem would be if I chose to forfeit my reservation and get a refund sometime in the future. Depending on the exchange rate then I might win some or lose some.
Not that I have the intention of not getting my Model 3, but still. Strange. I asked Tesla via mail about this yesterday. They promised to call me back within 48 hours. Let's wait and see what they say.

Same in Germany. Tesla homepage clearly states reservation is 1K Euro, not Dollar, yet my cc was charged with 1K Dollar instead. Of course I too had to pay the usual foreign currency fee, which ticked me off a little, but was could be even more of a problem would be if I chose to forfeit my reservation and get a refund sometime in the future. Depending on the exchange rate then I might win some or lose some.
Not that I have the intention of not getting my Model 3, but still. Strange. I asked Tesla via mail about this yesterday. They promised to call me back within 48 hours. Let's wait and see what they say.

Will you keep us updated?

Mine was £679 after conversion, was a pleasant surprise not to be charged £1000.

That was my first thought as well. But apart from having to pay fees for the currency exchange, the really unpleasant surprise might come once you have to finally pay for your Model 3.
Say the exchange rate is more unfavorable then, you still only get deducted 1.000 USD, because that is what Tesla got from you. You might end up having paid 679 Pounds Sterling for your reservation, but might get a deduction of less than that. Of course it might also work the other way round, i.e. in our favor, but I just don't understand why they don't charge what they state on the website in the first place.

Very strange the whole process, especially considering that others (like Yggdrasill, Lawtq or Smokkelaar) were charged the correct amount in their respective local currency.

Well, just came back from Tesla Frankfurt. They gave me the answer: I had used my Amex card.
Had I used VISA or Mastercard, the charge would have been 1.000 Euro. The guy in the store said he would try to remedy the situation without me losing my reservation number. Let's see how this turns out. I am not getting my hopes up just yet.

Unfortunate that this wasn't stated on their reservation page or anywhere else for that matter. Had I known this, I would have just used my VISA card instead. :(