Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] Premium Connectivity Progress - pre mid July 2019 orders

If you ordered before Mid July 2019, have you raised a Service request re your Connectivity ending?

• Yes

Votes: 16 32.0%
  • No

Votes: 21 42.0%
  • I ordered after Mid July/August 2019

Votes: 13 26.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Code:
meta property="og:updated_time" content="2020-07-30T20:43:35-07:00"
meta property="article:published_time" content="2020-01-29T12:49:38-08:00"
meta property="article:modified_time" content="2020-07-30T20:43:35-07:00"

From threads on this forum and corroborated by Wayback Machine the page first appeared on or shortly before 18 April 2020 when they were setting up the subscriptions - way too late to be relevant for UK owners who bought May/June 2019.

Having this morning had official notification that our Premium Connectivity has ended, I have now escalated this to include two named members of Tesla UK management (email guess for one of them but nothing bounced) and two legal affairs services for their opinion - although one bounced so will need to check and resend.
Is there strength in numbers? Should we be forming a sub-group or something? I too notified Tesla of my disappointment of them reneging on their contract and said that I was considering my options. But being just one - I am sure they just laugh!

Reactions: navt
I think by now, most of the people affected by this will have been affected - yesterday marked the end of the second quarter that Model 3 deliveries hit the UK shores. The first quarter would have been minimal cars. I think the majority of the early orders would have been fulfilled in those quarters.

So now is the time to write.

I'm personally not one for joint actions - personal individual actions in my opinion show how individuals feel, even if some don't feel enough to be bothered, it gives a more representative perspective. However, my personal feeling of this is that Tesla are unlikely to 'do the right thing' based upon weight of numbers so the best course of action is to set the case out, if there is one, in legal terms. That is the avenue that I am going down now, trying to get a more informed opinion as to whether Tesla are in indeed in breach of any UK regulations. If someone tells me that Tesla are legally right and proper in their actions, I'm not going to pursue things any further. But currently, I'm not at that point just yet to make that decision.

Reactions: Keeper
If someone tells me that Tesla are legally right and proper in their actions, I'm not going to pursue things any further

I wonder, if it is legal for a business to subsequently charge a subscription for a service that their sale material had led their customers to believe had been fully paid for upfront, would there then be anything to stop the same behaviour being applied to that business' other services, eg FSD?

So my premium connectivity expired on 29th September, a couple of days ago. I've already been moaned at by daughter for not having Spotify and Netflix in the car despite her sitting next to me with an iPhone that can do all of that :)

Checked my order timing:
  • 9th June 2019 - Initial order placed for LR AWD Performance (18 inch Aeros) - order confirmation email and PDF agreement references "all black premium interior" as being "included". No mention of premium connectivity specifically so nothing stating that there was an expiration date.
  • 25th June 2019 - Tesla updated my order - same spec but the price went up for some reason (I think this was an admin fix relevant to the government £3.5k grant being reflected in the agreement) - Again, no mention of premium connectivity expiration.
  • 30th July 2019 - I updated my order - the LR AWD came back into play so I modified my order to this rather than the Performance stealth version. Again, the order email and agreement stated "all black premium interior" with no reference to premium connectivity expiration.
  • 21st September 2019 - received my final invoice noting two part numbers - "IN3PB all black premium interior" and "PRM31 premium interior" - no mention of premium connectivity or it having an expiry date.
  • 29th September 2019 - collected at Birmingham. Don't recall any mention of premium connectivity expiring in the group introduction to the car.
I'm going to raise a service request on this one also.

Reactions: MrBadger
I'm going to raise a service request on this one also.[/QUOTE]

My advise would be that if you raise a service request make sure that you take a pic of the Tesla service request page showing time and date of request and the same again with any Tesla Service response. If what happens normally, Tesla will disagree with your service request and cancel it. You would then lose this part of the history of your complaint - should you ever need it in the future.

Reactions: Andrew_SE23
I think by now, most of the people affected by this will have been affected - yesterday marked the end of the second quarter that Model 3 deliveries hit the UK shores. The first quarter would have been minimal cars. I think the majority of the early orders would have been fulfilled in those quarters.

So now is the time to write.

I'm personally not one for joint actions - personal individual actions in my opinion show how individuals feel, even if some don't feel enough to be bothered, it gives a more representative perspective. However, my personal feeling of this is that Tesla are unlikely to 'do the right thing' based upon weight of numbers so the best course of action is to set the case out, if there is one, in legal terms. That is the avenue that I am going down now, trying to get a more informed opinion as to whether Tesla are in indeed in breach of any UK regulations. If someone tells me that Tesla are legally right and proper in their actions, I'm not going to pursue things any further. But currently, I'm not at that point just yet to make that decision.
Reserved 22.7.2017 Purchase 01.5.2019 Received 06.11.2019 M3LR Blue/White

Rather than do the service request, which I’m not sure will result in anything other than them referring me to customer service, I’ve emailed the customer service email address with my formal complaint. This based on me ordering on 9th June 2019 and it being clear to me at that time that the connectivity features were part of the premium interior. They may, or may not respond. In the meantime I’ll persevere without premium connectivity. Happy enough to do that for music as I use Apple Music anyway so can Bluetooth it. Same for podcasts. And, the TuneIn radio app on my phone is better than the onboard app in the car which for some reason doesn’t play certain stations that I can play via the phone. Bizarre. So, all I’m really missing is the nice satellite mapping. If they reinstate premium connectivity free, great, if they don’t I’ll do without.

I received the below mail this morning, similar to others, in response to my complaint about premium connectivity expiring when I’d been given zero knowledge on this at the point of ordering. Positive in that it suggests Tesla are taking the complaints seriously, as they should:

Dear xxx,

Thank you for your message. We realise this is a concern for you and equivalent owners and so are urgently reviewing this for you.

We thank you for your patience in the meantime and will update you accordingly.

Customer Service UK and Ireland

I too had this this morning following my eighth email to them about this........
Dear Martin,

We are making progress here and so you can expect an update in the coming weeks.

I realise this is an inconvenience and you want to do everything you can to push back on that but I am confident we will have feedback for you shortly and so there is not a need for you to take any further action towards this at this time.

You will be updated accordingly.

Customer Service UK and Ireland

clip_image002.gif

I raised the issue in early August, roundabout the first anniversary of my delivery. I also ordered May. Mine is a Model S but I think the same applies.

Anyway, they pretty firmly rebuffed my communication on the subject. Which was via a service request on the app. So I'll be interested to see what comes out of a bigger number of customers raising the same.

Tesla UK management should now be aware that they may be in breach of UK consumer regulations and have been shown the facts of the matter. So they are past the point that customer service can simply bat the subject back. But these things are never clear cut.

Breached these regulations too:
The Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013

Quite a few breaches:
  • Consumer Rights Act 2015
  • The Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008
  • The Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013
  • Fraud Act 2016?!! (Might be a stretch).

Wonder if the Taneja Vaibhav (Chief Accounting Officer in California) and Stephen Werknan (EU Finance Director in Netherlands) understand their personal liabilities under the Companies Act 2006. I’d be starting to feel a little uncomfortable - go on, give Al Prescott (VP of Legal) a call.

Last edited:
The loss of revenue can’t be the reason they’re holding out. This whole distraction could go away for what 100k loss in revenue a year. Instead it’ll tie up management time as a distraction for months and damage reputation / trust in the brand.

I had thought Tesla will come around before it gets more distracting/costly. However maybe its a cost benefit / opportunity cost thing. To implement might need dev time. The subscription devs can make $100ms on FSD subscription ...maybe they think they’ll just take the hit if anyone issues proceedings (after all they can just settle).

I’d like to think that Tesla will do the right thing here, as they do have a history of looking after the customer in these sorts of situations.

I got the standard “we’re looking into it” email on 18th August, and nothing since, but then I’ve not chased it.

We all know how long Tesla take to sort anything out, so I’m happy at the moment to sit back and wait, resplendent in my monochrome maps, until I hear for definite.