Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] Price cuts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I interestingly was in the USA last week and got speaking to a famous ex sportsman (no names)who now works for Tesla as an EV engineer. He told me on Monday that the windscreen wiper issue was being addressed in the Wednesday software update and since that I’ve had no issues during the day. It’s probably not fixed completely but it’s better. When I asked him about the price cuts, he said one thing; Lucid. He mentioned that the ex Tesla chief engineer now works for Lucid and it’s already a better car than Tesla produce with a much improved real world range. The big cuts in the UK are because Lucid are due to release in the next 12 months and Tesla have to move into the ‘affordable’ car market rather than luxury as Lucid wins hands down. He also mentioned that completion from Ford was immense with over 32 EV cars being designed. Tesla are resting on their reputation which is starting to get a battering. When I asked what car he would recommend, he told me to wait and change to Lucid as soon as I can.

I like you were sceptical but I checked his credentials and he was an ex sports star and does work for Tesla. I then googled Lucid and can see why Tesla are panicking.

I interestingly was in the USA last week and got speaking to a famous ex sportsman (no names)who now works for Tesla as an EV engineer. He told me on Monday that the windscreen wiper issue was being addressed in the Wednesday software update and since that I’ve had no issues during the day. It’s probably not fixed completely but it’s better. When I asked him about the price cuts, he said one thing; Lucid. He mentioned that the ex Tesla chief engineer now works for Lucid and it’s already a better car than Tesla produce with a much improved real world range. The big cuts in the UK are because Lucid are due to release in the next 12 months and Tesla have to move into the ‘affordable’ car market rather than luxury as Lucid wins hands down. He also mentioned that completion from Ford was immense with over 32 EV cars being designed. Tesla are resting on their reputation which is starting to get a battering. When I asked what car he would recommend, he told me to wait and change to Lucid as soon as I can.

I like you were sceptical but I checked his credentials and he was an ex sports star and does work for Tesla. I then googled Lucid and can see why Tesla are panicking.
This sounds wrong. Why would Tesla reduce costs on their £40k-£60k offering to counter sales from a competitor that isn’t selling vehicles in the UK yet and would most likely sell them for £80k if/when they are sold here.

To suggest Lucid is a competitor to Tesla with regard to mainstream manufacture is fantasy. I would be delighted for them to succeed in being able to produce EVs with sufficient margin that they survive and compete with other manufacturers but they have a long way to go.

To suggest Lucid is a competitor to Tesla with regard to mainstream manufacture is fantasy. I would be delighted for them to succeed in being able to produce EVs with sufficient margin that they survive and compete with other manufacturers but they have a long way to go.
I totally agree but Ford was mentioned as well. I guess the gap in the market that Tesla had is closing regardless of manufacture. The SuC network is what keeps it at the top I think.

The MY LR is £10k cheaper that 3 months ago and Elon himself said this week that price is the reason sales are not as good. Hence the price drop to ‘affordable’ for the masses.

Reactions: CWT3LR
I did see that but when you Google Tesla it’s pretty much the same 😂
When talking about the success of motor manufacturing companies you need to look at their ability to make lots of cars. Even if you design a great vehicle this means absolutely nothing if you are not able to design the manufacturing processes and then scale the business.

It's been a couple of years since I last owned a Tesla but these recent price drops have got me considering a MY LR.

A quick question though... it seems that a 'custom order' MY LR comes with a tow bar as standard? Does that mean that every MY LR in the inventory shown as 'Coming Soon' should include the tow hitch? If so, I'm struggling to understand the pricing and how some MY LR's show Tow Hitch in their descriptions and some don't?

oh, and hi Adopado, I stayed at your holiday cottage back when I had my M3P. Hope you're well 😁

Reactions: Adopado
It's been a couple of years since I last owned a Tesla but these recent price drops have got me considering a MY LR.

A quick question though... it seems that a 'custom order' MY LR comes with a tow bar as standard? Does that mean that every MY LR in the inventory shown as 'Coming Soon' should include the tow hitch? If so, I'm struggling to understand the pricing and how some MY LR's show Tow Hitch in their descriptions and some don't?

oh, and hi Adopado, I stayed at your holiday cottage back when I had my M3P. Hope you're well 😁
Tow hitch is a cost option (about £1100 from memory), and it’s effectively the same as a service centre fit thing and can added to any MY after delivery for the same price.

Reactions: ringi
Fantastic news for those considering ordeing now or have yet to take delivery :). I collected my M3LR in December. Fortunatelty, I insulated myself slightly from this reduction as my order was made in March, before the final price rise of 2022. However, Tesla gave me £40k trade-in last month for my 2019 M3P and, viewing other threads here, I'd be unlikley to achieve that now.
Replying to my own post from January. Tesla are still advsertising my traded 2019 M3P in their inventory. It's now priced at £39k. The price has gradually reduced from an initial +£9k markup from the trade-in value, to now -£1k less than what they gave me. Despite buying my M3LR before the January reductions, it's evident I benefited from the more generous trade-in valuations, so still no regrets here.

When talking about the success of motor manufacturing companies you need to look at their ability to make lots of cars. Even if you design a great vehicle this means absolutely nothing if you are not able to design the manufacturing processes and then scale the business.
100%. There’s plenty of EV startups trying to “do a Tesla”. Scaling is incredibly difficult.

Personally I’d love a Rivian R1T in RHD form, but I’d doubt very much it’s going to happen anytime soon. I’d put Lucid very much in the same category.

For giggles I put down a reservation on Fisker Ocean. It’s of course pure vapourware at this point and whether they go pop again is fair one for William Hill.

The MY LR is £10k cheaper that 3 months ago and Elon himself said this week that price is the reason sales are not as good. Hence the price drop to ‘affordable’ for the masses.
Prior to January's price cut I'd discounted Tesla is too expensive for my family, so hadn't really looked in any detail about what the actual ownership costs would be. We needed to change cars so had placed an order for a new Kia Sportage just before the Tesla price cut. That lower price made me think again, and after lots of browsing of forums like this one and doing some rough calculations we decided that in the longer term the MY was the right choice. So we cancelled the Kia and ordered a MYLR. Between ordering and collection we saw a further price reduction of £3k on Tesla's inventory stock so took advantage of that, and collected our new MY three weeks after placing the deposit (rather than a 6-9 month wait that we would have had for the Kia).

All in all a very positive experience, and we've been brought in to the Tesla family directly as a result of their price reduction at the start of this year. Already beginning to think that when my girlfriend's car needs changing in a couple of years a 2nd hand M3 should be on the shortlist...

Last edited:
We needed to change cars so had placed an order for a new Kia Sportage just before the Tesla price cut. That lower price made me think again, and after lots of browsing of forums like this one and doing some rough calculations we decided that in the longer term the MY was the right choice. So we cancelled the Kia and ordered a MYLR.
Did you consider the Niro EV rather than the Sportage (presumably PHEV)?

Did you consider the Niro EV rather than the Sportage (presumably PHEV)?
No, we ordered a regular petrol version of the Sportage. A hybrid, including plug in hybrid, seems a bit pointless to me. If I was going to go electric it would be a full BEV not a PHEV.

The Niro EV is OK, but a bit too small for us, doesn’t come with an AWD option and isn’t very long range, all of which meant it wouldnt make our shortlist. A decent spec Niro EV with a heat pump lists at £43,200. We paid £49,870 for MYLR. For me the Tesla provides significantly more value, significantly more bang for my Buck.