Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] Spring Software Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ts not just got to render that 3D model, theres lots of other things going on with the display.
Assuming the 3D model is being rendered by the Intel GPU anyway. I can imagine the high resolution stationary version rendered on the iGPU, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if the autopilot visualisation is being rendered by the autopilot computers and just piped down to the display.

Assuming the 3D model is being rendered by the Intel GPU anyway. I can imagine the high resolution stationary version rendered on the iGPU, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if the autopilot visualisation is being rendered by the autopilot computers and just piped down to the display.
Well you are not correct, IMHO

we know that FSD can run even on MCU1 on model S and definitely runs on MCU 2 which is same Atom. that includes all visualisations.

seriously, even all fanciest visualisation in car are actually low resolution and very basic. no fancy shader graphics etc. atom and intel gpu is more than capable.

and yes, I would be very surprised if tesla would use cpu and not gpu for any 3D rendering. that would be not just stupid - that would be idiotic.

I’m going to take a wild guess here and say nobody in this forum currently works for Tesla’s engineering team, so couldn’t possibly know the real reason they have not included the UI changes for Intel based cars.

Personally I think the Intel hardware is up to the task. But Intel based cars are older and so it could be a way of enticing some to newer cars before finally releasing it anyway. Or the processor architecture might be slightly different and so it’s part of their tech debt to tweak it for the Intel chipset.

Who knows. Certainly nobody on this forum.

Doesn't this support my argument? I notice that when the map is lagging, the autopilot visualisation isn't, which implies that it's being rendered elsewhere.
MCU 2 is Intel Atom and MCU 1 is Nvidia Tegra - a much earlier and weaker CPU/GPU. And as you can see from video - it still runs FSD with visualisations (you call it a laggy - I do not see much of it really, it maintains definitely more than 24 fps). so WHY it cannot have the UI revamp and why it would not be capable to run it?

the only reason is - firstly all new MCUs will get it. then they will polish it, optimise and release on older platforms.

In reality, any of the visualisations/UI we see on tesla is not CPU/GPU intensive. This is something what GPU/CPU on a PC from 20 yeas ago would manage with ease.

Last edited:
I’m going to take a wild guess here and say nobody in this forum currently works for Tesla’s engineering team, so couldn’t possibly know the real reason they have not included the UI changes for Intel based cars.

Personally I think the Intel hardware is up to the task. But Intel based cars are older and so it could be a way of enticing some to newer cars before finally releasing it anyway. Or the processor architecture might be slightly different and so it’s part of their tech debt to tweak it for the Intel chipset.

Who knows. Certainly nobody on this forum.
exactly.

but whole argument from some people is that atom is not capable.. it is. that's the whole point

The interesting part for me is whether this marks a shifting attitude towards the whole "you don't need to buy a new car, your existing one will keep getting updates" mindset.

That attitude is great for consumers, and might win fans in a companies early days, but it is the antithesis of a profit-seeking entity. You don't get people into new cars by upgrading their old ones, or at least you don't get them into your new cars as often as you would like.

Tangentially to this I have been doing some reading into what is involved in upgrading older Apple equipment past the point at which Apple officially stops supporting them with software updates. In many cases the process to get this "legacy" equipment on to the newer operating systems is trivial, and there are tools that automate it. Certainly it seems clear to me that the cutoff for old equipment in Apple's case is not based on performance or reliability, but purely as a sales & marketing driven line in the sand. Preventing peolpe getting the latest, coolest stuff is treated as a sales lever.

Perhaps this is where Tesla is now, looking at how they can stimulate sales, perhaps moving closer to the "model year" system of legacy manufacturers?

I've been doing some reading into what is involved in upgrading older Apple equipment past the point at which Apple officially stops supporting them with software updates. In many cases the process to get this "legacy" equipment on to the newer operating systems is trivial, and there are tools that automate it. Certainly it seems clear to me that the cutoff for old equipment in Apple's case is not based on performance or reliability, but purely as a sales & marketing driven line in the sand. Preventing peolpe getting the latest, coolest stuff is treated as a sales lever.
Apple is a very good example here, see the amount of pushback from them on "Right to repair" for further evidence of their policy.

MCU 2 is Intel Atom and MCU 1 is Nvidia Tegra - a much earlier and weaker CPU/GPU. And as you can see from video - it still runs FSD with visualisations (you call it a laggy - I do not see much of it really, it maintains definitely more than 24 fps). so WHY it cannot have the UI revamp and why it would not be capable to run it?

the only reason is - firstly all new MCUs will get it. then they will polish it, optimise and release on older platforms.

In reality, any of the visualisations/UI we see on tesla is not CPU/GPU intensive. This is something what GPU/CPU on a PC from 20 yeas ago would manage with ease.
I don’t think you understand what I’m saying. The point I’m making is that it’s possible that the autopilot visualisation is actually being rendered elsewhere and just provided to the MCU as little more than a video feed from the autopilot computers (which are completely separate and independent from the screen).

Tangentially to this I have been doing some reading into what is involved in upgrading older Apple equipment past the point at which Apple officially stops supporting them with software updates. In many cases the process to get this "legacy" equipment on to the newer operating systems is trivial, and there are tools that automate it. Certainly it seems clear to me that the cutoff for old equipment in Apple's case is not based on performance or reliability, but purely as a sales & marketing driven line in the sand. Preventing peolpe getting the latest, coolest stuff is treated as a sales lever.

I moved away from Apple back to Windows for precisely that reason. I use to regularly run software that cost quite a few thousand quid. Apart from a few minor cosmetic differences, it was identical on both Mac and Windows.

Keeping it, and other software up to date just to keep it compatible with supported versions of Mac OS just became not cost effective, especially as it got used less and less.

So I moved back to PC where, 9+ years later, this software is still 99.9% compatible with latest versions of Windows and on newer hardware (that cost similar to one software upgrade fee) runs even faster.

Probably would have cost close to 20k more had I kept on the Mac rollercoaster ride. And it wouldn’t have been much different in functional experience.

But then I’m of the mindset where I am happy to keep things for a long period of time rather than chasing the latest and greatest. A bit like that with cars, last two we kept for 13+ and 14+ years, and still have one that’s not far off of 30 years old. Very much doubt it will be the same with the Tesla, but would probably be ok with it getting to 10 years, but have my doubts.

I don’t think you understand what I’m saying. The point I’m making is that it’s possible that the autopilot visualisation is actually being rendered elsewhere and just provided to the MCU as little more than a video feed from the autopilot computers (which are completely separate and independent from the screen).
so then it makes even less sense to say that Atom "cannot do new UI"...

I agree with the view that the iGPU in all models can easily produce all the visualisations. They are really simple models. Compare the visualisations with the games that can be played, like Beach Buggy Racing.

Available memory could be an issue, as it's shared between CPU and GPU. I don't know if swap is used, probably not, but disk performance might be another issue.

But my best guess is that available storage space is the limiting factor. I recall this was doubled along with the AMD processor. I suspect there's almost no available storage on the older boards and they've been removing everything they can under the covers. I wonder what the health of this storage is, it will wear out.

I'd happily get rid of the games, leave them on "Install Now" or whatever, as I never play them. At least give us the choice if that is the reason.

As @doats1 said though no one outside Tesla knows the reason for this decision, so all we're left to do is speculate. It's academic really either way because we can't do anything to resolve it. Maybe the Atom isn't good enough, maybe it could do it but would be laggy and they don't want that to be the experience people have? Maybe it is a storage issue. Maybe it is a purely business decision to motivate people into buying new cars. Maybe its a combination of these things.

I agree with the view that the iGPU in all models can easily produce all the visualisations. They are really simple models. Compare the visualisations with the games that can be played, like Beach Buggy Racing.

Available memory could be an issue, as it's shared between CPU and GPU. I don't know if swap is used, probably not, but disk performance might be another issue.

But my best guess is that available storage space is the limiting factor. I recall this was doubled along with the AMD processor. I suspect there's almost no available storage on the older boards and they've been removing everything they can under the covers. I wonder what the health of this storage is, it will wear out.
yeah.. mcu 2 with atom comes with 64 gb of emmc memory.. it is well more than enough for any OS + apps..
Linux is not THAT memory hungry.

all in all, I think it all comes what is easiet to run on, and then trickle down the chain later once a bit more optimized etc

It could simply be using a newer part of the instruction set available on the AMD processor that isn’t supported on the older Atom because it’s too old.

In any case it’s just wild speculation until the software is released and the usual hackers get hold of it and see how it was actually done.

Edit: has anyone from Tesla officially confirmed it’s not coming to older Intel cars?