Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ultra High Fidelity Sound: defect or operating as designed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just looked and I'm on 7.1 2.32.23 which would seem to be older than what you have. Is there a way to force a software update?
That question has been asked a lot recently, and the answer is a resounding... maybe. ;) If you visit a service center, even just by pulling into the parking lot, an update check is triggered as you cross the "geofence." And if you're eligible for an update, the notification will show up in less than an hour. However, this method doesn't always work, and only Tesla really knows what constitutes eligibility. You might want to read this thread (see post #3 in that thread for the map of known geofenced locations.)

Edit: reading elsewhere in the forums, it appears the Dolby Surround fix first showed up in 2.32.65.

Last edited:
Well, that was it! Duh. Can't believe I didn't think of this. I rarely turn on the DOLBY so didn't think to check that. Alas, with DOLBY off, the rear speakers sound as they should.
Hmm. I just tried a comparison where I faded all the way to the rear, then flipped between Dolby Surround on and off. With Dolby on, the rear speakers produce a much weaker sound. With Dolby off, the apparent volume and frequency range from the rear speakers is increased.

However, when the sound is faded to my preferred position (-4), it actually sounds somewhat better with Dolby Surround on. I think this is as intended: Dolby Surround takes the normal two (stereo) audio channels and processes frequencies to simulate a 360 degree sound field (i.e. some sound comes from behind you instead of in front). The two rear speakers become the satellite "surround" channels, instead of just reproducing the front left and right channels equally in the rear as you fade back.

Reactions: msnow
Hmm. I just tried a comparison where I faded all the way to the rear, then flipped between Dolby Surround on and off. With Dolby on, the rear speakers produce a much weaker sound. With Dolby off, the apparent volume and frequency range from the rear speakers is increased.

However, when the sound is faded to my preferred position (-4), it actually sounds somewhat better with Dolby Surround on. I think this is as intended: Dolby Surround takes the normal two (stereo) audio channels and processes frequencies to simulate a 360 degree sound field (i.e. some sound comes from behind you instead of in front). The two rear speakers become the satellite "surround" channels, instead of just reproducing the front left and right channels equally in the rear as you fade back.
+1 This is similar to my experience.