Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ultra Red: What Made You Pay Premium For It?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In Australia,

Any combo was still under the cap for our incentives for new EV's (which are quite good now). - so no deal breaker
70% of cars on the road are white - white's too common
I have owned blue, silver, grey and white cars - wanted something different
I live in QLD which get very hot a lot of the year so black is usually too hot for cars here plus black is hardest to keep clean.
It looks amazing (although I honestly think the m3p works well in all of the colors. There really isn't a bad one.

In Australia,

Any combo was still under the cap for our incentives for new EV's (which are quite good now). - so no deal breaker
70% of cars on the road are white - white's too common
I have owned blue, silver, grey and white cars - wanted something different
I live in QLD which get very hot a lot of the year so black is usually too hot for cars here plus black is hardest to keep clean.
It looks amazing (although I honestly think the m3p works well in all of the colors. There really isn't a bad one.
Same. Australia white is too common. The new red is stunning and sets the car apart.

Reactions: Dear_OP
When I choose a new car, I want to be different. In the case of the M3 (or MY), I just don't want to be part of the 99% driving a white (or black) M3. Don't understand me wrong, the white and black are nice as well !

The new ultra red just looked gorgeous on pictures and Youtube movies, so I just went for it. Since the Highland is available, I have only seen 2 other Ultra Red M3 in real life.
If for the new M3, the red would have remained the multicoat red, I would not have taken it, as I really don't liked that old red.

Reactions: Dear_OP
Thanks for your responses! I agree that much of the decision with colour is down to personal preference. I'm usually not fond of red cars in general as most of them are pretty flat and frankly too attention grabbing. But the Mazda Soul Red changed my perspective with its changing hue and depth. I think the Ultra Red has similar characteristics.
I've yet to come across Ultra Red Highland in the wild.... mostly Stealth Grey and one white. First time I saw it was test driving a Y as I parked it at the Sales Centre. Actually there aren't many Highland 3s around for some reason.

I'm down to Stealth Grey and Ultra Red. Yeah quite the extreme.

Thanks for your responses! I agree that much of the decision with colour is down to personal preference. I'm usually not fond of red cars in general as most of them are pretty flat and frankly too attention grabbing. But the Mazda Soul Red changed my perspective with its changing hue and depth. I think the Ultra Red has similar characteristics.
I've yet to come across Ultra Red Highland in the wild.... mostly Stealth Grey and one white. First time I saw it was test driving a Y as I parked it at the Sales Centre. Actually there aren't many Highland 3s around for some reason.

I'm down to Stealth Grey and Ultra Red. Yeah quite the extreme.
That Mazda red is gorgeous!

Seeing the old and new red side by side made me say wow that's nice, even though I don't generally like red cars the colour depth is beautiful, it really is a good quality paint and makes the old one look flat and plastic like a toy car (which incidentally my GF prefers to the new one so it really is horses for courses)

I like my metallic grey (aka Sexy Grey), the new grey doesn't seem different enough to the old one but it could've been the light.

When trim was silver (mine) grey was the easy choice, even though I've wrapped my trim as a playful experiment atm.

Now it's black trim the order is -

White
Black
New red
New grey
Blue

Reactions: blinkme323
The new red is great, but not sure that it's worth the extra charge in my eyes (or certainly not worth losing the tax credit in some cases). The caliper contrast just really bothers me for some reason. That said, my ranking would go something like this for the highland:

Black
White
Red
Blue
Gray

Reactions: Destiny1701
I got black on my 2019 because it was free at the time. Liked the look, hated the upkeep. I'm really glad that gray is now the standard color, as that would have been my first choice anyway. I'm surprised it's the free option since it's a multi-stage metallic.

I will say that for the past several years, every time I saw a mazda in soul red it has caught my eye in a good way. That color looks almost identical to ultra red. I think it looks great, just a little too flashy for me. A lot less flashy than traditional "pull me over" bright red though.

here-are-the-secrets-of-mazdas-exquisite-soul-red-color_4.jpg

GE73xv1XoAAsWkF.jpg