Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I steered clear as well because of nicotine staining. Yes, I smoke. I was warned by friends about nicotine staining their light coloured leather seats.
I'm gonna try not to smoke in my new MX, but then again in my current car, that only last 15 months and then I started to smoke in it because of Toronto's winters

The white is incredible, but I'm a little worried about the durability of the initial builds. I have a ~1500 vin and one of my second row seats started to tear (bottom where your butt goes). Two rips coming from one of the perforated holes. Tesla service took care of it, replacing the entire seat. We'll see how the rest of them hold up.
BA

• Informative
Reactions: ohmman
The white is incredible, but I'm a little worried about the durability of the initial builds. I have a ~1500 vin and one of my second row seats started to tear (bottom where your butt goes). Two rips coming from one of the perforated holes. Tesla service took care of it, replacing the entire seat. We'll see how the rest of them hold up.
BA
Elon did tweet that they are adding extra backing to newer ones as they saw what you're seeing, early ones tearing.

BA
See my signature link for Elon's tweets. I was asking him about tears on the white seats. He replied with couple or more tweets on that topic. They should be replacing your seat or at least the leather part free of cost.

One month and over 1000 miles on the X now with two kids and ultra white seats. All good. Not sure if ours has the enhanced backing material or not. Lots of things and activities coming up over the next few weeks, will probably put another 2000 miles on the car over the next 30 days....

So far everyone here loves the white seats.

Reactions: SSD420
I have staining from the seat belt on my driver's side rear seat. The area lower on the seat is white, it's just shaded to look like it is also stained. My passenger side seat doesn't have this issue. I was able to get some of this to wipe off, but not all. Anyone else seeing this? Notice the staining on the plastic clip as well.

image.jpeg

I have staining from the seat belt on my driver's side rear seat. The area lower on the seat is white, it's just shaded to look like it is also stained. My passenger side seat doesn't have this issue. I was able to get some of this to wipe off, but not all. Anyone else seeing this? Notice the staining on the plastic clip as well.

View attachment 180810
Hmm..looks like some kind of lubricant from the seat belt mechanism, perhaps o_O

View attachment 180810
I am looking at the avatar and then again at the stains... back again at the avatar looking :rolleyes: ..and putting pieces together..
I think this might be from the seat belt dye rubbing off on the plastic pieces? I have seen some types of plastic surfaces get dark stains when rubbed with pressure/scuffed. I sure hope thats not the case here.

Oh no!

This doesn't bode well for long term appearance of white seats if this is widespread to all seats over time. I hope I'm wrong on this.

A person's tendency is to look that direction when putting seat belts on and could be an eyesore.

Perhaps it was exacerbated by the heat from sunlight causing the dye to get on the material and sticking over time.

I guess inspect and cleaning regularly is best to avoid these.

Would warranty cover this? Would it be too much to even demand for this fix?

Last edited:
Over 10,000 miles on our X with a couple major road trips with the kids (ages 7 and 11). Lots of spills of food and drinks (smoothies, goldfish, etc). Have the ultra white interior. Today I found out my 7 year old has been writing with a pencil on the falcon wing door arm rest (which is also covered with the ultra white material). The pencil lead wiped right off and it totally disappeared. Seats are still just as white and clean as the day we received the X. Only place that is a touch dirty is the material surrounding the seat belt buckles. The third row seat buckle area is the dirtiest area of the seats and its not that bad. If I wanted to clean them and get them looking almost new I could, but there isn't any point to do so with the kids riding in the car every day for school. The seats are holding up great and I would not let fear of stains stop you from getting them.
@Blurry_Eyed - what do you use to clean your seats? Our kids have grown up so our seats are still clean but we have a 10 day road trip coming up and I was wondering what cleaner to keep for the seats.