Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unable to decide model and options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What an awesome community! Thanks for the detailed answers.

I think I have the final list for the order: S85, Tech Package, No Active Air, No Premium Sound, maybe Pano (heard it makes noise), 19'' wheels, No rear seats - color still undecided!

I wonder if I can search for inventory vehicle for this config. Called up the California rebate guy (Mike at CVRP) and he thinks that rebate funds will run out by Oct 2013 when the new fiscal year funds start on July 31. So if I order today or in 1 week, and wait for 2 months, I may be on the borderline for the rebate.

Any other options to consider? or rebate news?

Fun stuff, you can't go wrong, kevin. I think that's a great config, although I'm biased because it's pretty similar to what I ordered. Pano is just a personal preference. Color was an agonizing choice for me, but again you can't go wrong and all colors look great.

Not sure about the expiration of CA funds and how that affects your timing, I guess that's a valid consideration. When you first place the order the $2500 deposit is refundable for two weeks and you can also mess with options and colors during that time. You can finalize and lock it in ahead of time, too.

Did you test drive one yet?

To be honest, I was in so much awe of the entire driving experience and the dashboard that I did not care much about the Pano. But, I have had Pano cars before, and I prefer the option of cloth or plastic undercover - not just an open pano all the time.

Also, can anyone comment on lease vs. buy? With battery technology evolving so fast, would a lease be better than buy? Or with the residual value being high, its probably best to buy? After all, the only variable is the battery pack. If better batteries arrive at the market - all it takes is a replenish - the rest of the body stays just as great. Any pointers to other threads with such info?

Also, can anyone comment on lease vs. buy? With battery technology evolving so fast, would a lease be better than buy?

So fast in this case means every five to eight years, despite the new battery that will make all other batteries obsolete of the week articles, so it depends on how long you typically keep a car whether so fast will even affect you. The Telsa lease isn't a real lease, it's a purchase that acts like a lease in that you can turn the car back in after three years--or you can continue to make the payments.

If you're getting a third party lease, those are best if you are using the car for business because then there is no question about how much can be written off. Consumers generally lose, often big time, on auto leases because of the over mileage and damage clauses.

Also there will be a bit more than just changing out the battery pack. Different battery chemistries require different charging and regulating techniques so new software will also have to be written.

As others have mentioned, S85 and Tech package for sure. The other stuff is nice if you can afford and want it, but not necessities.

I had a phone sales person and a store rep tell me the same thing, that the tech package is a must. What am I missing? None of it seems worth it at all to me.

*Navigation - I have that on my phone. Sure, it's not on the giant screen, but it's good enough for me.
*Auto-present door handles - I think I can 'handle' (get it? bwhahaha...but I digress) touching the handle to open the car if it saves me $3,750.
*High definition back-up camera - I just need to see that I'm about to back up into a toddler, I don't need to see the expression on his face.
*Xenon headlights, LED cornering lights, Electrochromatic side mirrors - I'm not a "car guy", let alone a luxury car guy so I have no idea why these things are good/better.
*Ground lighting under door handles - Really?
*Power rear liftgate - No family, etc. so don't need this.
*GPS-enabled Homelink system - Don't have it, don't need it.
*Memory seats - See above re: single, no family. No one else is driving this thing but me! haha...

My conundrum right now is Single or Twin Chargers. Cutting the price down would be huge for me, and given that for the foreseeable future there will be no public chargers that would take advantage of the TC, it's tempting to leave them out. However, in my other technology buying I usually lean towards future proofing when I can. That's also why I'm leaning towards the 85kw (and that I live 8 hours away from my family, with literally only RV parks and 2 Nissan chargers in the first 400 miles). Then again, I've only driven home once in the last three years (much to the chagrin of my mother) so....lol.

I had a phone sales person and a store rep tell me the same thing, that the tech package is a must. What am I missing? None of it seems worth it at all to me.
If you don't think it's worth it, don't get it. I think the biggest reason *you* would choose to get it is because of resale -- the option is very popular (many (almost all?)) of the cars have it and I think it'll be difficult to sell one that doesn't.

As for twin chargers... I will get them, but if you're cash constrained, I think the reality is that where you live, it's unlikely that you'll see a J1772 connector that puts out enough amps to use twin chargers. It's more likely that the Amarillo, Midland and Abilene Superchargers will be open (2015) first and that takes care of most travel unless you head west to Roswell or directly east towards DFW. You don't need twin chargers to use those.

---- *Navigation - I have that on my phone. Sure, it's not on the giant screen, but it's good enough for me.

Actually, you only use the large screen to set the destination, you use the small navigation screen on the display to drive. Far less distracting than Nav-on-a-phone. You can also use the large nav screen to check the traffic and change your route if necessary.

----- *Auto-present door handles - I think I can 'handle' (get it? bwhahaha...but I digress) touching the handle to open the car if it saves me $3,750.

A nice to have only. However, it gets the most comments at shows.

----- *High definition back-up camera - I just need to see that I'm about to back up into a toddler, I don't need to see the expression on his face.

It works in very low light conditions to help you see the blind spots.

---- *Xenon headlights,

You will actually be able to see the road ahead. Makes other lights appear to be dim candles.

---- LED cornering lights,

The way they are implemented makes these useless. If they came on when you put on the turn signals they would provide a small amount of light in the direction of the turn. As it is they don't come on until you are halfway through the turn.

-------------- Electrochromatic side mirrors

These prevent cars (and trucks) with misadjusted or high mounted headlights from blinding you from the side mirrors. They are great.

----- *Ground lighting under door handles - Really?

Another nice to have.

---- *Power rear liftgate - No family, etc. so don't need this.

You can set the opening height so you don't bang the hatch on your garage door. This feature will save me hundreds of dollars in repairs even though, or perhaps because, I don't open the hatch all that often.

---- *GPS-enabled Homelink system

This saves me from carrying the garage door clicker (I already carry enough junk).

---- *Memory seats

These are handy if you show the car because people tend to adjust them while sitting in it and you can put it back to your settings with just a touch. Also on long trips moving the seat position every so often reduces fatigue and it's nice to get back to your normal position.

If you don't think it's worth it, don't get it. I think the biggest reason *you* would choose to get it is because of resale -- the option is very popular (many (almost all?)) of the cars have it and I think it'll be difficult to sell one that doesn't.
If SoTX_WestTX is willing to by the car without the Tech package at this price point, do you really think there’ll be a shortage of buyers at the price point (s)he will be selling? Maybe I’m dreaming, but it doesn’t feel that far fetched that many driving Plug-ins, hybrids or other low-mileage cars today could be interested. Folks with college professor values for instance (yeah, I admit, I recently stumbled upon that expression...).

Last edited:
If SoTX_WestTX is willing to by the car without the Tech package at this price point, do you really think there’ll be a shortage of buyers at the price point (s)he will be selling? Maybe I’m dreaming, but it doesn’t feel that far fetched that many driving Plug-ins, hybrids or other low-mileage cars today could be interested. Folks with college professor values for instance (yeah, I admit, I recently stumbled upon that expression...).
Yes, I do believe this. Come three to five years from now, there will be many used Model Ses to choose from on the used market. Like most options, the Tech Package will not hold its value, so buyers will be comparing a, for example, $50,000 car without tech, versus a $51,000 with tech. Given a choice, like on the new cars, most people will want the tech.

But like I said, it's the only reason I can think of that a person who sees no value in the package should consider getting it anyway.

I will be honest I got the Tech package specifically for the auto-present handles. I had to have that "cool" factor. But I have come to appreciate having the other items, as well, especially the auto rear lift gate and Xenon headlights. The memory seats actually came with the leather package for me, but are very handy as both my husband and I drive the car and it makes setting our different seat preferences easy.

I totally agree that the relative "worth" of the tech package is going to vary buyer to buyer. I was just surprised by the "must have" description of it since none of the features, while all useful and nice, seemed all that "must have" to me. I realize, though, with things like the xenon headlights, I've never driven a car with those features so I don't really know what I'm missing out on. (Heck, no car I've owned has even had keyless entry. My truck had manual windows and locks. :) ) I was worried there were some other features that were included that I hadn't come across in my research (the way that the auto-present door handles aren't actually listed on the options/pricing page).

For me, resale isn't as important because I keep my cars (or at least have in the past) for a very long time. I had my first truck for 8 years and am on year 9 with my current car (Honda Pilot). At that point, seems to me not worth spending an extra $4,000 now in order to maybe get an additional $1-2,000 on resale years in the future.

Bollar, you're right about my location. My family is south, so really I'd be having to spend the night around San Angelo charging at an RV park regardless until these seemingly mythical superchargers start showing up years from now. The distances are what's pushing me towards the 85kw; even with a supercharger on I-20 (Abilene/Sweetwater) the distances seem to be right at the edge of the 60kw's range. It would take a second SC on I-10 around Junction to make the trip doable. That said, if I went 85kw+TC then I could make it to the Austin Tesla store from an Abilene/San Angelo overnight and use their HPWC. It would be more miles, but would probably be faster than 5+ hrs on a Level 2 charger in San Antonio before heading on to Corpus Christi/Kingsville area.

So I keep ending up at the question of whether the $11,500 is buying insurance/future proofing or is worth the extra convenience for the once a year or two that I make that drive. Everyone says they caught the Tesla bug and end up driving more so who knows! Decisions, decisions! I totally sympathize with the OP.

(Heck, no car I've owned has even had keyless entry.

That's what I thought too before I purchased a car (Prius) that had them. I figured they were a toy I'd use once or twice. However, once I had them for a few weeks they became something that I would never willingly do without if I could at all possibly afford it.

That's what I thought too before I purchased a car (Prius) that had them. I figured they were a toy I'd use once or twice. However, once I had them for a few weeks they became something that I would never willingly do without if I could at all possibly afford it.

I still have my other car, drove it today first time in over 5 weeks took a colleague to lunch.
The good news: it started.
The bad news: everything felt antiquated and heavy steering after driving my MS.
And I had to use a key (fumble, fumble,fumble...), click to open the door, insert into slot and punch button to start.

My Point is: driving and using a vehicle sets the Driver/User up for a certain level of expectations and anticipations for its features and comfort.
The Model S has a lot of features you may quickly learn to use, appreciate and enjoy.
Some features may take a bit longer to be fully appreciated.
But SoTX-WestTX will never know what features he may grow to love if he doesn't feel they initially have or provide value.
There is the initial cost to consider, and there is some slight pain to that decision.
Personally: I would NOT ever want to drive and back my MS into my driveway and garage withOUT the rear-view camera.
Mirrors are okay, camera is ESSENTIAL.
And I do have to back it into the garage, due to the placement of the electrical panel and outlet.

Yes, there are a lot of bells and whistles to contemplate.
Most of them do have daily value (for me anyway).

After reading a crazy amount of forum postings here and on the Tesla site I've concluded, too late, that I made a mistake by not getting the air suspension. I was swayed against it because of fear of maintenance issues, but that fear has no basis. It'll have a warranty and then I'll extend it so what was I thinking?!

After reading a crazy amount of forum postings here and on the Tesla site I've concluded, too late, that I made a mistake by not getting the air suspension. I was swayed against it because of fear of maintenance issues, but that fear has no basis. It'll have a warranty and then I'll extend it so what was I thinking?!

Me, I am a professional mechanic. I chose coil suspension. I think it is better riding, I've driven both. Air is problematic and you will likely own this car way beyond warranty as very little will ever wear out and you will love you car so much you'll not likely see any reason to get rid of it. In my estimate, if there proves to be any problematic area in the Model S, it will be the air suspension. Resale value on cars with air suspension is terrible. Buyers who buy used, high mileage cars will not touch an air suspension car as the coming repairs are more than the car is worth.

Only advantage of air is height adjustment which I have never found I needed. If it is performance you are interested in, well air suspension is inferior in that it is a feedback system. It has to sense the surface to try to adjust for it, but guess what, you've already passed that section of road. By definition, a servo/feedback design is always wrong. Advantage of coils will be all sorts of aftermarket springs that can make the Model S anything you could possibly dream of, and for a very low cost. There will likely be many Model S owners converting their cars over to coils as time goes by.

Congrats on moving forward. I put down my deposit 3 days ago and am struggling with some of the same decisions!

1. S85 is a must - I think there would be a lot of regret with the 60 and it's not as though the 60 is an inexpensive proposition.
2. Tech package is a must 0 Tesla defines itself as a technology company and the additional options are a lot of fun. It's really a matter of personal preference though, you might not miss them if you don't know they aren't there. However, navigating on your phone in an $80k + car might require some explaining ;)
3. Air suspension - my one unknown. I hear the standard suspension is more sporty and doesn't have the long-term ownership concerns. However, will I always wonder if I would be getting additional range on the highway with the air suspension? I also hear the air suspension rides more smoothly...if I think the ride is too rough with standard suspension, will I regret not getting air suspension?
4. Sound package - personal preference but I'm getting for sure.
5. Pano roof - too cool not to get!

These are all fun problems to have!