Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unable to get Model Y Rear Wheel Drive Insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got a quote on a brand new long range Y with e-sure it’s £1300 on compare the market who still won’t quote me on a RWD. It must be a glitch in the system as there aren’t many if any on the road in the uk yet. If they’re willing to cover me for a long range then surely they will for a RWD

Still only Admiral and associated brands that are offering a quote as far as I can see, and they are making the most of that lack of competition given their prices (approximately double a MYLR quote) :(

I've got 2 days til pick up, may just have to bite the bullet...

I went with Admiral, which is the same exact price for the RWD or the LR. I guess they don't have data to use so they're going with LR prices. As others have said it's less powerful and cheaper, but rear-wheel drive is more dangerous than 4-wheel drive.

I went with Admiral, which is the same exact price for the RWD or the LR. I guess they don't have data to use so they're going with LR prices. As others have said it's less powerful and cheaper, but rear-wheel drive is more dangerous than 4-wheel drive.
Just because the RWD is the same price as the LR doesn’t mean it’s bad value. My impending MYLR is cheaper to insure with Admiral than my 2021 M3SR+
Despite the value and performance being greater…..

Problems are continuing trying to get insurance on the Model Y RWD which is now apparently referred to as just Model Y. I have found that some insurers just don't want to insure Teslas whereas with others because the car is not yet on their system they can't/won't quote. Even direct line going through the Tesla link didn't quote as of last Thursday. Managed to get a decent offer from Admiral so anyone getting a RWD in the near future needs to allow plenty of time.

Problems are continuing trying to get insurance on the Model Y RWD which is now apparently referred to as just Model Y. I have found that some insurers just don't want to insure Teslas whereas with others because the car is not yet on their system they can't/won't quote. Even direct line going through the Tesla link didn't quote as of last Thursday. Managed to get a decent offer from Admiral so anyone getting a RWD in the near future needs to allow plenty of time.
Yep, I ended up with Admiral as well. I could only get quotes for the RWD from them or their subsidiaries (Diamond, Elephant etc). It's worth phoning them rather than just taking the online quote. They knocked £250 off the quote when I phoned, and that was without taking up their "multi policy car offer", which they seemed intent on selling me. The other thing I found was that if like me you are leasing rather than buying, the pool of insurance companies willing to quote is much diminished, and of course the premium is higher!

Hi All,

Just to help everyone, I am in a similar position and the reason the Model Y RWD is a nightmare is because Tesla and Insurance have the BHP down wrong as 637bhp!!! I have complained to Tesla about needing to fix this asap as it’s returning crazy high insurance! Again with the car being incorrect with 637 bhp we wouldn’t be insured correctly anyway!

Absolute nightmare from Tesla.

The long range and performance are cheaper to insure than RWD.

Hi All,

Just to help everyone, I am in a similar position and the reason the Model Y RWD is a nightmare is because Tesla and Insurance have the BHP down wrong as 637bhp!!! I have complained to Tesla about needing to fix this asap as it’s returning crazy high insurance! Again with the car being incorrect with 637 bhp we wouldn’t be insured correctly anyway!

When the RWD option first came out, I bought the insurance and the premium was lower than what I got for LR. Already collected my car today and loving it so far :) and they don’t check the insurance when you collect your car which is to my surprise

When the RWD option first came out, I bought the insurance and the premium was lower than what I got for LR. Already collected my car today and loving it so far :) and they don’t check the insurance when you collect your car which is to my surprise
It’s of no relevance to Tesla if you have insurance… that’s your responsibility and liability.

• Disagree
Reactions: Exy1 and MrBadger
Hi All,

They did the same with the LR but that's even higher, and obviously silly.

If the experience of trying to fix that is anything to go by it isn't changing.. Insurance companies will not listen.

I can buy an ex demo ID4 which has a range of 315 miles parking sensors is 10k less and is £560 a year insurance, rather than £1800 which is the only real quote I can get for the Tesla y standard range.

I’m really struggling to rationalise hanging on to the Tesla which is due for delivery Xmas eve and I still can’t get a realistic quote for! 🤬

Just trying to get insurance on a Model Y RWD with Direct line and they still have it listed as a 637 hp car.
They have spoken to the underwriters, who acknowledge that it is wrong but they still refusing to insure me.
If I get a quote for a long range it is fine, but they won't insure it as that.

Just trying to get insurance on a Model Y RWD with Direct line and they still have it listed as a 637 hp car.
They have spoken to the underwriters, who acknowledge that it is wrong but they still refusing to insure me.
If I get a quote for a long range it is fine, but they won't insure it as that.
I was in the same boat. I managed to get a much cheaper quote through Darwin which I bought ready for my collection