Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unbiased 2-month review of 2022 Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Disclaimer: I'll admit I was pretty naïve and uninformed about most things Tesla when I took delivery of my Y in October, 2022. I did minimal research about the Y beforehand so I ended up learning most things on the go and am definitely still figuring some stuff out.

As a non-biased first time Tesla owner I wanted to give a simple summary of some pros and cons that I've personally identified in the first two months since I took delivery.

Major PROS:
- No more ICE! It is quite liberating to drive past gas stations and know that I'll never have to stop ever again.
- Performance (duh!). I test drove the Y once, back in February, 2022 so I only had minor exposure to the performance and handling beforehand. The Y is a very fun vehicle to drive. Passing on non-divided highways is a breeze compared to my previous 1/2 ton truck.
- Overall, the tech is pretty impressive and makes the user experience quite enjoyable.
- Comfort: Long road trips in the Y are much more comfortable than I have experienced with any other vehicle in the past and I travel quite a bit.
- Superchargers: charging time is impressive and they are generally located in convenient areas for one or more of: meals, bathroom breaks, snacks, shopping, etc.
- 3500lbs towing capacity is impressive in comparison to other vehicles of a similar class.

Minor PROS:
- I love the sound system, it can feel like you are at a live concert and contributes to a fun ride.
- The regen braking is impressive and delivers noticeable range + when applied regularly. It should also contribute to a very long brake pad life as you can easily drive all around town without applying the brake pedal even once.
- The look: Unlike the X and 3 (IMO), the Model Y has a great sporty look and really catches the eye. I also like the S. That's just my opinion though.
- The range: It's mostly reasonable... in comparison to other current EVs anyways.
- Cargo capacity is significant considering the overall size of the vehicle.
- Sentry mode is a nice feature when you are leaving the vehicle in a "sketchier" area.
- Winter handling is pretty good overall.
- Battery pre-conditioning when navigating to Tesla Superchargers. This is handy (though, when activated it does speed up the rate of battery loss for obvious reasons).
- There are many other minor pros but they aren't necessarily game-changers.

Minor CONS:
- The effective highway range is quite low in anything but the most favorable conditions. I've been on several road trips with the Y and the best effective range I have achieved is about 400km (240 miles) - this is with favorable temperature and wind conditions and travelling closer to 65mph. In extreme cold and a good headwind the range is basically shredded in 1/2. My effective highway range in -15 C and a good 40 km/h headwind was slashed to about 200km (120 miles). Freeway speeds (120km/h + - 75 mph+) also reduce the effective range quite a bit (generally about 300km - 185 miles). This is all vs. the advertised range of 531 km (330 miles).
- Supercharging costs in Canada (where I live) are quite high -> the $ saved (vs. gasoline) compared to extra time spent charging is marginal when on road trips and relying on superchargers.
- Quality of he build is definitely suspect. One of the clips on the passenger sun visor mirror was broken when I took delivery. It was a piece of cheap plastic and clearly wasn't quality control tested before delivery (or someone didn't care). Other finishes are disappointing, like the rubber on the window-edges not being uniform or flush in the corners, etc.
- The tech can be glitchy - Bluetooth will randomly tweak out, navigation will glitch out, etc. Most of these issues are resolved by a screen reset but this can be of annoyance if they occur when you are driving.
- The headlights are great - if you need to see into the future. Otherwise, they aren't designed super well if you are considering oncoming drivers. They are too bright; I regularly get flashed by oncoming vehicles at night when I do not have the brights engaged.
- The vehicle clearance is pretty low - don't plan on driving in deep snow, uneven terrain, or up/down steep driveways.
- The battery doesn't precondition when travelling to non-Tesla fast chargers. Seems like something easy that could be updated.

Major CONS:
- As it stands, the Autopilot function is a COMPLETE JOKE. It is essentially like owning an $80,000 vehicle that doesn't have a functional cruise control - in 2022! I went on a long road trip last weekend and dealt with over 30 phantom braking events. These ranged from minor application of the brakes all the way to significant slowdowns that violently threw myself and my wife forward in our seats. No - there was never any hazards that required braking. Some of these were seemingly random with no obvious explanation as to what could be confusing the sensors. The most common culprit, however, is cresting a slight rolling rise - for some reason right as the vehicle crest the roll the sensors get confused and slam on the brakes. Shadows, dark asphalt patches, trees, buildings, etc. are other causes of sudden, unnecessary phantom braking. This issue alone has soured my attitude quite a bit towards my new Model Y. For the love of all that's holy Tesla, fix the issue or allow me to fully disengage anything other than a conventional cruise control!
- Controlling climate on the touch pad is a nightmare - especially when driving alone. I am 6 ft tall with a good reach and can still barely manage to reach and drag (omg so sensitive!) the tiny dot when I want to adjust the fan speed. Who thought this was a good idea? No - I don't want to rely on the voice activation to do this, especially when there is a passenger. It is clunky and awkward to interrupt the music every time I want to change the fan speed by 1 tick. I knew I would hate the climate control functions before I took delivery and those fears were confirmed.
- Supporting a company that EM "owns". Yes, that man is a complete tool.

I am fully expecting responses that undermine some of my complaints - like I said, I am still trying to figure out some of the features, etc.

received_641836400730277.jpeg

Oh I agree entirely. Don't get me wrong. I'm with you on the autopilot being useless front. I went on a few hour drive yesterday and it kept doing these little pump brakes every time I passed by these little road reflectors on the side of the road. It's like it had no idea what it was doing. That's when I just gave up and put my foot down on it. haha
Yes I've had the same feeling when passing over "crack patching" on the highway... where they infill cracks with fresh dark asphalt, that certainly confused the computer.

Disclaimer: I'll admit I was pretty naïve and uninformed about most things Tesla when I took delivery of my Y in October, 2022. I did minimal research about the Y beforehand so I ended up learning most things on the go and am definitely still figuring some stuff out.

As a non-biased first time Tesla owner I wanted to give a simple summary of some pros and cons that I've personally identified in the first two months since I took delivery.

Major PROS:
- No more ICE! It is quite liberating to drive past gas stations and know that I'll never have to stop ever again.
- Performance (duh!). I test drove the Y once, back in February, 2022 so I only had minor exposure to the performance and handling beforehand. The Y is a very fun vehicle to drive. Passing on non-divided highways is a breeze compared to my previous 1/2 ton truck.
- Overall, the tech is pretty impressive and makes the user experience quite enjoyable.
- Comfort: Long road trips in the Y are much more comfortable than I have experienced with any other vehicle in the past and I travel quite a bit.
- Superchargers: charging time is impressive and they are generally located in convenient areas for one or more of: meals, bathroom breaks, snacks, shopping, etc.
- 3500lbs towing capacity is impressive in comparison to other vehicles of a similar class.

Minor PROS:
- I love the sound system, it can feel like you are at a live concert and contributes to a fun ride.
- The regen braking is impressive and delivers noticeable range + when applied regularly. It should also contribute to a very long brake pad life as you can easily drive all around town without applying the brake pedal even once.
- The look: Unlike the X and 3 (IMO), the Model Y has a great sporty look and really catches the eye. I also like the S. That's just my opinion though.
- The range: It's mostly reasonable... in comparison to other current EVs anyways.
- Sentry mode is a nice feature when you are leaving the vehicle in a "sketchier" area.
- Battery pre-conditioning when navigating to Tesla Superchargers. This is handy (though, when activated it does speed up the rate of battery loss for obvious reasons).

Minor CONS:
- The effective highway range is quite low in anything but the most favorable conditions. I've been on several road trips with the Y and the best effective range I have achieved is about 400km (240 miles) - this is with favorable temperature and wind conditions and travelling closer to 65mph. In extreme cold and a good headwind the range is basically shredded in 1/2. My effective highway range in -15 C and a good 40 km/h headwind was slashed to about 200km (120 miles). Freeway speeds (120km/h + - 75 mph+) also reduce the effective range quite a bit (generally about 300km - 185 miles). This is all vs. the advertised range of 531 km (330 miles).
- Supercharging costs in Canada (where I live) are quite high -> the $ saved (vs. gasoline) compared to extra time spent charging is marginal when on road trips and relying on superchargers.
- Quality of he build is definitely suspect. One of the clips on the passenger sun visor mirror was broken when I took delivery. It was a piece of cheap plastic and clearly wasn't quality control tested before delivery (or someone didn't care). Other finishes are disappointing, like the rubber on the window-edges not being uniform or flush in the corners, etc.
- The tech can be glitchy - Bluetooth will randomly tweak out, navigation will glitch out, etc. Most of these issues are resolved by a screen reset but this can be of annoyance if they occur when you are driving.
- The headlights are great - if you need to see into the future. Otherwise, they aren't designed super well if you are considering oncoming drivers. They are too bright; I regularly get flashed by oncoming vehicles at night when I do not have the brights engaged.
- The vehicle clearance is pretty low - don't plan on driving in deep snow, uneven terrain, or up/down steep driveways.
- The battery doesn't precondition when travelling to non-Tesla fast chargers. Seems like something easy that could be updated.

Major CONS:
- As it stands, the Autopilot function is a COMPLETE JOKE. It is essentially like owning an $80,000 vehicle that doesn't have a functional cruise control - in 2022! I went on a long road trip last weekend and dealt with over 30 phantom braking events. These ranged from minor application of the brakes all the way to significant slowdowns that violently threw myself and my wife forward in our seats. No - there was never any hazards that required braking. Some of these were seemingly random with no obvious explanation as to what could be confusing the sensors. The most common culprit, however, is cresting a slight rolling rise - for some reason right as the vehicle crest the roll the sensors get confused and slam on the brakes. Shadows, dark asphalt patches, trees, buildings, etc. are other causes of sudden, unnecessary phantom braking. This issue alone has soured my attitude quite a bit towards my new Model Y. For the love of all that's holy Tesla, fix the issue or allow me to fully disengage anything other than a conventional cruise control!
- Controlling climate on the touch pad is a nightmare - especially when driving alone. I am 6 ft tall with a good reach and can still barely manage to reach and drag (omg so sensitive!) the tiny dot when I want to adjust the fan speed. Who thought this was a good idea? No - I don't want to rely on the voice activation to do this, especially when there is a passenger. It is clunky and awkward to interrupt the music every time I want to change the fan speed by 1 tick. I knew I would hate the climate control functions before I took delivery and those fears were confirmed.

I am fully expecting responses that undermine some of my complaints - like I said, I am still trying to figure out some of the features, etc.

Have owned mine since May, and would agree with pretty much every point up here. The range was the biggest shock, and I haven't even driven it much in cold weather . I don't think I've approached 400km yet. It shouldn't have been a shock had I researched Bjorn and a few other online resources I guess. But who would have thought 530km or whatever turns into 375-400, unless you're driving in 17deg C weather, on a road without hills, with no one in the car, no A/C or heating on, at 75km/hr.

The other big shock was just how glitchy and poorly designed the UI is on the screen. Radio station layout, fan control, inability to easily drag things to where you want them (taking queue's from Apple IOS I guess?). The door refusing to open repeatedly without me having to open up the app on my phone (ever since the last update it's been super glitchy). The audio on my phone not auto selecting the Tesla speakers and me having to click on the speaker icon on the phone and then hit Tesla...again intermittently for no rhyme or reason. The browser experience feels like it is from 1998. No CarPlay or AA ... just at least give me Waze or Google Maps ... something that will show me traffic and work around it for me. In Canada at least we get nothing out of the Tesla and I'm not really sure why I pay for connectivity at this point.

Lastly, finally drove in a snow storm this past week, pretty decent one with 15cm or so. Coming from 11 years of driving Audi's with Quattro, maybe it is an unfair comparison, but the difference in AWD is staggering. The Y just feels uncertain in the snow and tends to slide much more than I'm used to. On brand new winter tires no less.

Have only experienced phantom braking once, but it was enough for me to simply not use AP, at least not with my family in the vehicle. Feels weird to be a guinea pig for something that critical.

But yes, the performance is great. Love not getting gas. Sound system is great, albeit doesn't get very loud. Cool to be able to watch Netflix in the car while waiting for whatever. Great super charger network, though I've only used it twice so not a big factor. Love the fact that it gets updated regularly. Oh, and it farts, which was one of the reason I ordered it while I was online after a few too many drinks. :)

When I drove my first Audi, I knew my next car would be an Audi. Can't say the same for Tesla, especially given how quickly other manufacturers are catching up in terms of EV's. We'll see I guess.

This is a fair review, and pretty closely mirrors my experience. A lot of positives, a few minor issues that are easily overlooked, but that TACC/AP issue is still really bad. It startles you as the driver having to deal with all this random braking, but to my wife and daughter it's even worse. On road trips they are often dozing off in their seats, then getting awakened suddenly when the car feels like it's stabbing the brakes. Naturally, you flash awake thinking something has gone wrong and get that sudden adrenaline rush, your heart rate spikes, then you realize that it's just the dumbass car doing its little freakout...again. Sigh, try to relax, start to drift off to sleep...BOOM, happens again. It has me right on the edge of selling the car, really. At some point you just can't trust that the computer isn't going to betray you at any given moment. To your last point, it's getting hard to be associated with Elon and his insane cult.
I feel this I get super anxious when my wife is asleep and end up turning it all off or keeping my foot on the gas so it can’t stop. Chill mode plus foot on the gas helps a lot

When I drove my first Audi, I knew my next car would be an Audi. Can't say the same for Tesla, especially given how quickly other manufacturers are catching up in terms of EV's. We'll see I guess.
My last car was an Audi. They finally came out with a competitor to the MY but I had already decided the Tesla charging network was too much of an advantage. I think when things shake out over the next few years we’ll have much better options.

Have owned mine since May, and would agree with pretty much every point up here. The range was the biggest shock, and I haven't even driven it much in cold weather . I don't think I've approached 400km yet. It shouldn't have been a shock had I researched Bjorn and a few other online resources I guess. But who would have thought 530km or whatever turns into 375-400, unless you're driving in 17deg C weather, on a road without hills, with no one in the car, no A/C or heating on, at 75km/hr.

The other big shock was just how glitchy and poorly designed the UI is on the screen. Radio station layout, fan control, inability to easily drag things to where you want them (taking queue's from Apple IOS I guess?). The door refusing to open repeatedly without me having to open up the app on my phone (ever since the last update it's been super glitchy). The audio on my phone not auto selecting the Tesla speakers and me having to click on the speaker icon on the phone and then hit Tesla...again intermittently for no rhyme or reason. The browser experience feels like it is from 1998. No CarPlay or AA ... just at least give me Waze or Google Maps ... something that will show me traffic and work around it for me. In Canada at least we get nothing out of the Tesla and I'm not really sure why I pay for connectivity at this point.

Lastly, finally drove in a snow storm this past week, pretty decent one with 15cm or so. Coming from 11 years of driving Audi's with Quattro, maybe it is an unfair comparison, but the difference in AWD is staggering. The Y just feels uncertain in the snow and tends to slide much more than I'm used to. On brand new winter tires no less.

Have only experienced phantom braking once, but it was enough for me to simply not use AP, at least not with my family in the vehicle. Feels weird to be a guinea pig for something that critical.

But yes, the performance is great. Love not getting gas. Sound system is great, albeit doesn't get very loud. Cool to be able to watch Netflix in the car while waiting for whatever. Great super charger network, though I've only used it twice so not a big factor. Love the fact that it gets updated regularly. Oh, and it farts, which was one of the reason I ordered it while I was online after a few too many drinks. :)

So well said. I didn't get into the tech too much but agree with everything you've stated. Couldn't agree more with basically all of your analysis.

Speaking of defending Elon and Tesla, I am sure I am late to the party but have others also noticed that all the 'owners' club's like Tesla Owners Silicon Valluy and maybe they are the best examples of this, just parrot everything Elon and worhsip him to no end no matter how unfair and unreasonable an action of Tesla's or of Elon's is? It is this kind of fanboyish attitude that fuels the arrogance of service providers like Tesla. The competition also needs to come up quick so that the consumer wins but the owners' club s and other such forums and the media need to hold Tesla's feet to the fire. This idiocy had gone on for fa too long. And to be clear, I am not against anyone. There is a lot of good that Tesla and Elon have done but it feels like they have stopped giving a *sugar*. Getting too comfortable and cocky. I wish they could out the customer first above all other BS. If they are not going to hold themselves to that standard, everyone else needs to. Maybe we can at least keep making noise and maybe that will get changes done. like how Elon said they finally caved in to build the best paint shop ever at berlin or shanghai because people did not go silent.

New to Tesla as well. Very similar experience. My first long drive from LA to Vegas starts tomorrow so I’ll get to see about the range. Really unhappy there are no parking sensors and totally agree with the radio control function. Also no Waze is a bummer. Car drives well but my auto pilot in my 4 year old Volvo hybrid has given me zero problems.
I think we’ll hold on for a year and if things dont improve I’m moving on.

New to Tesla as well. Very similar experience. My first long drive from LA to Vegas starts tomorrow so I’ll get to see about the range. Really unhappy there are no parking sensors and totally agree with the radio control function. Also no Waze is a bummer. Car drives well but my auto pilot in my 4 year old Volvo hybrid has given me zero problems.
I think we’ll hold on for a year and if things dont improve I’m moving on.

I make that drive all the time! (I'm in Vegas) I definitely have to stop more than I anticipated (I stop in Baker, and then somewhere in LA), but the AP does really well on those roads. I don't remember too much phantom braking on those roads. Keep us updated!

Reactions: CharlieMY
I make that drive all the time! (I'm in Vegas) I definitely have to stop more than I anticipated (I stop in Baker, and then somewhere in LA), but the AP does really well on those roads. I don't remember too much phantom braking on those roads. Keep us updated!
Just arrived in Vegas. Wife was worried about using the Autopilot but I managed to drive with it for about 30mins … no problem. Left Burbank with a 99% charge. Made it to Baker with around 24% left. Charged to 80% for around $19.00 and arrived in Summerlin with about 40% left. I also have to say my Volvo is probably quieter and a slightly better ride.

Folks that buy in fall are disappointed with range. Folks that buy in Spring are pleasantly surprised.
I bought in the spring and found range to be great... I am now realizing what everyone is talking about when it gets cold... I drove a total of 80 miles in 2 days around town and went through 50% battery but I also have the heat on 69, heated steering wheel and auto heated seat.. I also start the heat about 5 min before i get to the car... It doesn't bother me I love the car

Reactions: cusetownusa
Great review! I've had my M3 since August and I agree with pretty much everything. I much prefer the look of the 3 but that's just taste. I'm quite happy to use voice control for everything it can be used for.

I was at our service centre last week with all my complaints about TAAC with detailed diagrams of all the situations which upset it; when I could identify a cause anyway. I said exactly the same thing: "I just want a functional cruise control that focuses on the lane ahead and nothing else".

Trouble is, TAAC is a part of FSD. Based on my experience with TAAC and the active safety features I've come to the conclusion that FSD is impossible. If too many cars had it there would be grid-lock and it would take forever to get anywhere.

Intelligence needs to be in the roads, seamlessly organising vehicles on and off freeways at speed, not at a shuddering crawl.

The Tesla guy I took out for a ride basically said "your concerns will be noted, but....."

TAAC aside, I do love the car though.

Reactions: navguy12
Major CONS:
Tool: One who lacks the mental capacity to know he is being used. A fool. A cretin. Characterized by low intelligence and/or self-steem. - Slang Define

EM is a lot of things but a tool is not one of them.

Here is something to think about, EM hasn’t significantly changed in the last 6 months but the mainstream reporting on him has. Are you sure you’re not the one who is a tool?

Reactions: charisjapan
Tool: One who lacks the mental capacity to know he is being used. A fool. A cretin. Characterized by low intelligence and/or self-steem. - Slang Define

EM is a lot of things but a tool is not one of them.

Here is something to think about, EM hasn’t significantly changed in the last 6 months but the mainstream reporting on him has. Are you sure you’re not the one who is a tool?
Fortunately I began thinking this 185 days ago

Major PROS:

Minor PROS:

Minor CONS:

Major CONS:

View attachment 886717
Pretty much agree with all your comments, I've been driving my YLR since end of March 2022. Phantom braking def dangerous and I hope V11 fixes that one. Once on I70 west it decided there was something on the road, something seriously big! It went from 70 to 40 in like 5 seconds, ok maybe 10 seconds. Yikes! By the time I hit the accelerator to bring it out of its freak out, the car behind me had zipped around me and my car had re-entered the real world and was speeding up. Sheesh! Just chill but keep an eye out for tailgaters as they will not appreciate chewing your trunk with their grill. Cheers.

Reactions: aipaa
Pretty much agree with all your comments, I've been driving my YLR since end of March 2022. Phantom braking def dangerous and I hope V11 fixes that one. Once on I70 west it decided there was something on the road, something seriously big! It went from 70 to 40 in like 5 seconds, ok maybe 10 seconds. Yikes! By the time I hit the accelerator to bring it out of its freak out, the car behind me had zipped around me and my car had re-entered the real world and was speeding up. Sheesh! Just chill but keep an eye out for tailgaters as they will not appreciate chewing your trunk with their grill. Cheers.
Yup. Whenever I employ any TM3 cruise control feature, I’m consciously driving for two…me and the person behind me…because one never knows.

Worst stretch of highway in my experience: the still under construction (expanded to 12 lanes) portion of HWY 401 west of Mississauga ON towards Milton ON; some sort of reliance on mapping data makes the TACC set speed just drop by 20 kph or more because the car suddenly thinks it’s off the main freeway.