Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Uncorking for RWD 75 (Non-D)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

KyleDay

Oct 29, 2016
AZ
All,

Kudos to those of you with "D" models that just got grandfathered into the uncorked performance.

This thread is now dedicated to the efforts around discovering what is possible to give RWD 75 units (Non-D) uncorking as well.

At the present moment, details are scarce, but we do know there were at least some RWD 75 units sold post July 1 that came from the factory uncorked, so it is at least possible. It is not yet known if any sort of hardware upgrade is required for uncorking to work. It is also not known if Tesla will ever offer uncorking to RWD units. Nothing has been officially said at this point.

I did just PM @JonMc kindly asking for his input.

For the record, if a hardware upgrade was required, I'd be happy with just the knowledge and and understand of feasibility or cost.

Please help keep this thread on topic and let's collectively reach out to Tesla and see if we can get guidance and help in joining our brothers and sisters in the uncorking party.

quoting myself from the parallel-thread

According to internal information at Tesla, that my delivery contact forwarded me, all 75 RWD cars that had their planned end of production line in the week of June, 19th, should have the performance increase.

The delivery date has no influence (I ordered on June, 2nd but had to wait until the mid of September to finally get the keyfob)

Could it be possible that towards the end of RWD production, Tesla used up the standard drive units and all RWD after that got the performance drive unit from P100D? And these last ones are now the 4.3 second cars.

Or has it been only one rear drive unit version for a long time, meaning it is just software that restricts the old 75s at 5.5 sec? If that's the case, there might be a glimmer of hope for us with the old 75 :D

Would be very interesting to hear from someone with more knowledge.

So my other question that probably nobody knows the answer to: if my DU is failing on a 2016.6 built S75 RWD, when they replace it, perhaps I get the new DU, which would technically mean car is then eligible...? My current DU has a slight clunking sound when accelerating-decelerating starts and so will have it checked soon..

Could it be possible that towards the end of RWD production, Tesla used up the standard drive units and all RWD after that got the performance drive unit from P100D? And these last ones are now the 4.3 second cars.

Or has it been only one rear drive unit version for a long time, meaning it is just software that restricts the old 75s at 5.5 sec? If that's the case, there might be a glimmer of hope for us with the old 75 :D

Would be very interesting to hear from someone with more knowledge.
Your questions are the reason for this thread. Hopefully Jon will respond. From what I have been able to gather, it sounds like at least some “uncorking” is possible through software alone and that is probably what is happening now with older AWD 75s. If so, why not RWDs, too?

Add me to the list. S75, 06/03 production date, 06/16 delivery date. I called my local svc and was told my car did not qualify.
I was also told that my car did not need the update and will run fine without it (she wasn't rude or anything.. She was just trying to reassure me).

Regular 75 build date 6/12/17.
you took delivery after the 7/1 publicized date for the performance enhancement therefore you should have performance boost ... I would not accept that answer... i believe the
Add me to the list. S75, 06/03 production date, 06/16 delivery date. I called my local svc and was told my car did not qualify.
I was also told that my car did not need the update and will run fine without it (she wasn't rude or anything.. She was just trying to reassure me).
Of course we don't need the update !!!!o_O but it is the right thing to do

I called my SC today and no luck for my May 2017 S75. An interesting tidbit, my service guy was really helpful and said several times that the press says it's a software update for the 75D but it's really software and some small hardware change. He said that it's probably a large hardware change for the S75 and that's why they haven't done it. Who knows, but I'd love to do it if possible!

wow so many conflicting things...software only? hardware and software? too odd that its inconsistent yet very tesla.
Yes, it is really sad to see how poorly this matter has been handled by Tesla since the performance upgrade has become public knowledge in July. :(

Not even the service center managers seem to know what the real deal is, despite that service bulletin from last Thursday. The information from various SCs is very inconsistent, so much guesswork, clearly lacking an official public announcement from Tesla management.

It it really that difficult to simply explain the real reasons behind that performance upgrade and which vehicles are eligible or not, @JonMc ? Or is it that this matter is still under further investigation for RWD 75 vehicles so that an announcement is to be expected later on, when those examinations have come to a final conclusion?

Reactions: xborg and MIT_S60