Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Uncorking official for most 75Ds!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I called the SC this morning and they saw the firmware update for my VIN related to the enhanced performance. They told me that there is no need to make a SC appointment since it will be completed through an over-the-air firmware update which is confusing since it seems like everyone else has had to go in for a mechanical adjustment as well. Thoughts?

This actually makes a LOT of sense. Given what we have seen, there is nothing except Tesla wanting to keep a CLOSE eye on how the first couple hundred upgrades went to make sure there were no issues. No better way to do that than to keep it so SC-visits only.

To date, and we need more info about what Tesla may be changing, there is nothing described so far that is not already part of the cars that have been sold for . . . well years. The contactors that were mentioned, Tesla swapped those out to a the new model and made them universal years ago. The old Tyco ones just could not stand up long-term to the heat and stress, and this was why some early cars were seeing pack failures (both of my early P85s had this problem).

If this is truly an OTA upgrade now, then this could be something easily applied to older S85 and P85 cars (possibly S60 - old pack as well).

We need more data, but the underlying reason I think this may be a software only patch (assuming preexisting hardware in place from upgrades as far back as 2014) is because of the work done by wk057 on his car that pretty much turned on Ludicrous on a RWD car and pushed the 0-60 time down substantially. Granted, he had to do some hardware modifications to trick the system, but the experiment proved that there is a lot of untapped power in these motors and that the packs can deliver that power reliably.

In a nutshell, Tesla has likely been conservative with software limitations on all but the PxxD cars, and now they are lifting those somewhat.

Just sent an email to the Toronto Lawrence SC requesting an appointment for the uncorking/perf upgrade. They booked me right in for this Friday - no questions asked or any confusion on their part. Can't wait!

S 75D built June 2017 VIN 1991xx

Also, best as I can tell from @Krash great data collection is that we're looking at the following increase:

276kw / 370hp —> 345kw / 462hp uncorked (+92hp)
430Nm / 317 ft lb —> 557Nm / 411 ft lb uncorked (+94 ft lb)

Does that seem right?

I just booked an appointment next week to uncork my 75D.

The process was a lot more casual than I thought, to the point I'm slightly worried. Service person answered, had no idea what I was talking about and went and got a tech, came back maybe 10 seconds later and said "yep its fine we can get you in next week." And I said I heard only some VINs are valid and she said "you're fine." It just didn't seem like enough time at any point for her to look up my VIN...

My VIN is 187XXX, build date I think late Dec 2016 or early Jan 2017.

Appointment scheduled for next week.

EDIT: Also, I'm in CA, so I am another data point that the prior "only 4 cars in CA are eligible" is crazy talk.

I have a 60D, March 2017 delivery (VIN 185***). I emailed service asking about eligibility for a 60D OR if I upgraded to 75D. Here’s the response I received:

“Only vehicles factory configured and ordered as 75D will be able to uncorked, 60kWh upgraded to 75kWh is not eligible.”

Based on earlier reports in this thread, that response doesn’t appear to be accurate. However, I’m not going to upgrade for 75D for range alone. If I can ensure it’ll be uncorked, I’ll probably pull the trigger.

I have a 60D, March 2017 delivery (VIN 185***). I emailed service asking about eligibility for a 60D OR if I upgraded to 75D. Here’s the response I received:

“Only vehicles factory configured and ordered as 75D will be able to uncorked, 60kWh upgraded to 75kWh is not eligible.”

Based on earlier reports in this thread, that response doesn’t appear to be accurate. However, I’m not going to upgrade for 75D for range alone. If I can ensure it’ll be uncorked, I’ll probably pull the trigger.

Definitely doesn't appear to be accurate. Call the denver littleton service office and ask them if you're eligible. They will look up your VIN and let you know. Then perhaps you can get back with your local service team to inform them of the hopefully good news.

Well I hit 7500 miles on my car and figured it was the perfect excuse for both an uncorking and I need a quick check on a paint chip that seems to have some weird rust like coloration forming which makes me nervous.

i just called and set up my rotation and uncorking appointment for Wednesday morning. i was surprised they could get me in that soon. i have that before we know it, they'll be filling up with tire rotations that'll put them back a month. i'm assuming tire rotation is only going to cost about $50 or so.

Definitely doesn't appear to be accurate. Call the denver littleton service office and ask them if you're eligible. They will look up your VIN and let you know. Then perhaps you can get back with your local service team to inform them of the hopefully good news.
I am assuming I’m not eligible since I have a 60D. I don’t want to pay the $2k to upgrade only to find out I’m still not eligible.

I’m not sure how “the list” gets refreshed or whether it’s phased in to ease service center volume. In other words, the range is not enough by itself for me to upgrade. If Tesla can guarantee a performance upgrade, then I’ll fork over the $2k.

Reactions: Gur814
Just called my service center and was told my car is eligible for the update. Vin 178XXX Dec.2016. I originally ordered the car as a 60D and they said that it would be eligible if my car was upgraded to a 75D. Kinda weird that they can't see that I upgraded a few months ago. But they said they'll confirm that I upgraded and then they'll uncork my car.

Reactions: ACExpress
Additional info from Tesla Service email...take it for what it’s worth:

“In the past, there were 2 variants of the 75kWh battery pack, while it is true that some 60kWh vehicles were equipped with software limited 75kWh battery packs, there's also another component, similar to a larger fuse, within the high voltage system necessary in order for the performance upgrade to happen. Not all 75kWh battery pack equipped dual motor vehicles have this upgraded component.

Albert ***** | Assistant Service Manager, Mid-South Internal Service, Tesla Motors, Inc.”

“In the past, there were 2 variants of the 75kWh battery pack, while it is true that some 60kWh vehicles were equipped with software limited 75kWh battery packs, there's also another component, similar to a larger fuse, within the high voltage system necessary in order for the performance upgrade to happen. Not all 75kWh battery pack equipped dual motor vehicles have this upgraded component.

Albert ***** | Assistant Service Manager, Mid-South Internal Service, Tesla Motors, Inc.”

This explains why my X75D is not eligible for it, bummer.

Were those two variants used alternatively? Ie could my March built 75D be ineligable despite much older vehicles being eligable?