Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Uncorking official for most 75Ds!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As an owner of a 2017 May build June delivered S75 RWD, VIN 203xxx, I am obviously following all of these threads very closely. I have seen the evolution of our assumptions change over time as more information from owners comes pouring in. Here is a quick summary of what I've seen in the various threads that was thought to be required for the upgrade:

- new drive unit
- BTX8 vs BTX5 battery
- old drive unit combined with front motor (AWD only)
- “performance” incolnel contactors
- pyro\software fuses
- potential wiring harness differences

I will continue to follow these threads because everyone does a great job of keeping each other informed of progress on these topics. Back in July, no one thought they would be offering uncorking to pre July 1 cars and now we know they are not only offering it, but not charging for it. I'm holding out hope for all us S75 RWD owners since nothing that I've seen to date has officially eliminated us from the upgrade.

Once we see at least ONE RWD pre July 1 build - my expectations will change. I'm hoping just one person confirms it - that will give me hope this may apply to Pre July 1 builds. My car's build date is December of 2016, delivery in January 2017.

Reactions: MIT_S60
I have to say I'm super surprised Tesla is doing this for us 75D owners for free - just really surprised. If anything I thought it would be offered for several thousand dollars.
I am guessing they didn't charge for it b/c the new 75D's are basically the same price and offer more value (increased performance, power liftgate, air suspension).

Once we see at least ONE RWD pre July 1 build - my expectations will change. I'm hoping just one person confirms it - that will give me hope this may apply to Pre July 1 builds. My car's build date is December of 2016, delivery in January 2017.
I saw a small number of CPO S75 RWD showing the faster times, but that may have been a mistake. I have also been following closely since July 1st.
I am guessing they didn't charge for it b/c the new 75D's are basically the same price and offer more value (increased performance, power liftgate, air suspension).
This. They have made so many changes to the standard S75 over the past year (in addition the standard turning lights, premium seats, and AP2/AP2.5 with features still lacking parity to AP1), that it's a huge sign of goodwill. Especially since many of the 75 owners came from Model 3 reservation holders who would have had more range and faster performance by waiting for the Model 3.

RWD owners, if you consider that the original P85 cars produced a claimed 310kw and were timed by motortrend at 3.9 seconds 0-60 along with the fact that the P85 weighs 112kg more than the 75, it seems that 285kw (old rear motor) should be enough to get down to 4.4 seconds. There are other hardware factors aside from the actual motor to keep in mind of course

Good to hear.

No email yet (but fingers crossed!) for my S75D, nee S60D, from a Jan 2017 build. VIN range is 178k FWIW.
I really wish you the best, but dont get your hopes up. My local service center just confirmed that my Jan 2017 75D (orig. 60D) do not qualify for the update/upgrade. And my VIN number is: ...177xxx.
I have to admit, though i wish everyone could have the update, it makes me sad that they didnt make the changes to all the cars at a cut-off point, but instead seem to have paralell produced different configurations.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really wish you the best, but dont get your hopes up. My local service center just confirmed that my Jan 2017 75D (orig. 60D) do not qualify for the update/upgrade. And my VIN number is: ...177828.
I have to admit, though i wish everyone could have the update, it makes me sad that they didnt make the changes to all the cars at a cut-off point, but instead seem to have paralell produced different configurations.
Are you sure the service centre is aware of the change in uncorking cars before June? It's only been a couple of days since announced

That's cool! My 60D May 17 190xxx is booked in Sydney next week. They said they will tell me on the day if it's eligible. I'm willing to upgrade the battery to 75 if not :)
My concern is that they can't tell you if you will be eligible after upgrading to 75D. They check against a VIN database for eligibility. Who knows how long you need to wait for the database to update? What if after upgrading to 75 they say you are still not eligible?

My concern is that they can't tell you if you will be eligible after upgrading to 75D. They check against a VIN database for eligibility. Who knows how long you need to wait for the database to update? What if after upgrading to 75 they say you are still not eligible?
Yes I wonder if cars will be made eligible at a later date and they are slowly updating the database or updating batches of VINs. I just hope it's not all 60D upgraded to 75D cars that are ineligible

Are you sure the service centre is aware of the change in uncorking cars before June? It's only been a couple of days since announced
Yes, im sorry... They know about the upgrade for earlier cars. But they did say that they would leave a message to the service team to check my car before doing the service appointment i have next wheek. It seem wery bleek. Sad, i recieved my car in April 2017, it was produced in January 2017...

Yes, im sorry... They know about the upgrade for earlier cars. But they did say that they would leave a message to the service team to check my car before doing the service appointment i have next wheek. It seem wery bleek. Sad, i recieved my car in April 2017, it was produced in January 2017...
Mate I would bet money that your car is eligible.
There are cars with higher and lower VINs and build dates that have all been eligible.
Much more likely your service centre is wrong.

It's possible Tesla just aren't updating cars bought as 60D. Are there any confirmed 60D to 75D cars uncorked?

Reactions: Rbcnr