Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Understanding People Who Don't Drive Their Roadsters

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I rediscovered mine it had 2500 miles more than when I gave the keys back to Tesla 3.5 years earlier. I asked why the low mileage and the owner said it was pretty much only being used only around London to avoid paying the £8 per day congestion charge (EVs are free).

A Leaf or i-MiEV would have been better value for them in that case, but at least they kept it garaged for me.

Reactions: AEdennis
When I rediscovered mine it had 2500 miles more than when I gave the keys back to Tesla 3.5 years earlier. I asked why the low mileage and the owner said it was pretty much only being used only around London to avoid paying the £8 per day congestion charge (EVs are free).

A Leaf or i-MiEV would have been better value for them in that case, but at least they kept it garaged for me.

But it would not have been "in style"

Hello yall

I was asking myself the very same question than the OP. I just cannot understand people buying such cars and letting them sleep in a garage. I'm kinda on the other side of the fence, as the car I bought already had 142000 km (~88000 miles) on it, and I added something like 13000 km (8077 miles) in 7 months :p Due to the mileage, it was the cheapest (non wrecked) roadster I ever found in my area, and thus I just could afford it. Now it's my daily driver, and my wife took my Leaf.

I never had so much fun behind a wheel :D

Kind regards

Love my roadster, but it is currently my nice weather weekend car. I hate subjecting such a beautiful car to harsh weather, and the don't like to park such a exotic car for Walla Walla at work. It'd fit in nicely at my place in Portland, but it get hit with doors and cars there. The steep slopes on entrances due to rain would be cruel on the low front too.

So, I'm saving it until I can migrate south for winter to California. Sun and crazier cars seem to be plentiful
there.

Love my roadster, but it is currently my nice weather weekend car. I hate subjecting such a beautiful car to harsh weather, and the don't like to park such a exotic car for Walla Walla at work. It'd fit in nicely at my place in Portland, but it get hit with doors and cars there. The steep slopes on entrances due to rain would be cruel on the low front too.

So, I'm saving it until I can migrate south for winter to California. Sun and crazier cars seem to be plentiful
there.

I'd say just drive it :)

There's no better place for an exotic car to be other than on the road. Its also nice to see people's expressions who've never seen the Roadster in real life before and say to their friend, "Hey, do you see that!?!? That's a Tesla Roadster!!!" The nice thing about the Roadster is that its not subject to the typical door dings that a Model-S or other metal shelled cars, the carbon fiber actually absorbs the impact of the door hit pretty darn well. With that the paint seems to flex with it too. I don't have any door dings and I've driven mine much in public, parked in public places like shopping malls, public garages, etc.

Also people drive these things in snow, yes, snow :) However its probably the one season I'd personally skip if the state uses road salts, reason being is that it can be quite corrosive to the A-Arms and suspension and random nuts / bolts / hardware that are not stainless, painted or aluminum. The aluminum frame / undercarriage does well however since its treated. But I've seen Lotus Elise's / Roadsters that have been driven in salty road conditions and it does beat up the suspension quite well with corrosion. I just replaced my ball joints and upgraded my A-arm bushings, did the job myself, and happy to see my A-Arms in great condition. Just a little road grime / grease which cleaned off easily... all at 60k miles driving in central California all year round.

One place I do say to drive the Roadster with caution is in the city, in particular parking in the city or for that matter anywhere that you have to parallel park. The Roadster as you know is extremely low, it can be quite easy for someone to back into and over the nose of the car not even noticing they did. My Roadster when I bought it at 3k miles had shown evidence of someone backing into the front, minor, but I can tell. I also had someone do the same to me in San Francisco parked on a city street over night. Nothing major, just a lesson to find a solution to a potential problem that can occur or not park there at all. One solution I was thinking is some sort of flag or fold down / pop up cone. One I can retract and put in the trunk. Even one with a flat base and tube that can stow in the trunk. One thing it would need is a lock so people don't walk off with it and leave you vulnerable again. Key is to make it tall enough that its in a typical SUV rear window view and if possible can wave in the wind, like a flag.

Yes steep slopes and dips can be an issue in the Roadster, I've learned how to take course on the majority of them. But I've had to back out of a few. For sure the Roadster is not the car you'd want to give anyone a detailed tour of SF in.

I also feel that cars that have character, nicks, scrapes, and wear marks of love and use (not abuse) are more valuable (to me) for that this car has many stories to tell, and still after the rugged course of time, has more to share in the future. Actually, the Roadsters driven in the snow are just that showing how rugged and versatile they truly are. Whereas a garage queen, well, its more like a painting on the wall that can be appreciated rather than a tested legend that is purely admired.

Last edited:
Thanks to a job change, my commute has gone from over 60 miles a day to less than 3 miles (round trip no less). The roadster is a second car for me but I make a point of driving it at least half the week but I'll be shocked if I even get 4k miles a year on it until I have a job switch in a few years. It did amaze me though that I bought a 2010 that only had 13k miles on it. Even with my barely existent commute I'll use it more than that! I'm curious to see how water tight the Visium clear top really is to know if this will be a winter daily driver here in Seattle or if I'll need to garage it.

For me the RS is a semi-daily driver :) ever since buying it back in 2011. And thoroughly enjoy driving it every time. It is so nimble and fast. And quite comfortable at the same time. Best car I've ever owned. And love the guys over at the SC. The exceed red carpet treatment of other brands by a mile or two.

I'm curious to see how water tight the Visium clear top really is to know if this will be a winter daily driver here in Seattle or if I'll need to garage it.

I never had a problem with rain when using the Visium top. That said, I don't like taking the Roadster out in bad weather, just out of respect for the car. My alternate car is also much more visible in traffic (higher profile, lighter color), so I feel a good bit safer driving that when it's really nasty out.

I know this thread is about Roadster, which in some sense is exotic and so some folks rarely take it out.

But there is a case right here in TMC where a TX owner bragged incessantly about his new 2013 S P85 with several posts everyday for over 6 months, and I am sure he was responsible for quite a few to decide on P85.

And then one day he posted his car on the Sale section of this forum and it had a whopping 500 miles.

I put 500 miles in the first week of ownership on my CPO

I have a Grid-connected PV with about 20 MWh a Year feeding-in. But the kWh-rate paid by the Utility Co. was dropping year after year
to a mere 3,9 cent / kWh
I searched for an additional way to use this otherwise wasted Power. Charging and running an EV came to my mind. So I ended up buying a Roadster. Having two cars, and one being an ICE, the Insurance premium added to over € 1600.- a Year.
Since I live in a snowy and mountainous Country, I needed an ICE for the Winter period which is about 5 to 6 months.

But as soon as the AWD Model S became available, I quickly dropped my ICE car (SUZUKI Vitara)

I keep the Roadster because it is such cool car and fun to drive. It has now 22 700 km (about 13 000 miles)
The Model S is just magnificent and the best car I ever had.
On top of this, since I have no registered ICE car anymore, my insurance fee dropped a full 820.- EURO / Year and is now 800.- AND... with both cars being registered.. AND one is allways charged... for free!
Is there a better way of motoring?!

I never had a problem with rain when using the Visium top. That said, I don't like taking the Roadster out in bad weather, just out of respect for the car. My alternate car is also much more visible in traffic (higher profile, lighter color), so I feel a good bit safer driving that when it's really nasty out.

Greg,
Thats what I'm noticing but I'd swear the windows aren't snug enough against it at the moment. It just sounds like there is wind noise while driving. It's due for its annual service in a few weeks so I'm going to have Tesla check that the windows are in the right position for a hard top while doing that. I love the top though and am beyond happy I purchased it.

Greg,
Thats what I'm noticing but I'd swear the windows aren't snug enough against it at the moment. It just sounds like there is wind noise while driving. It's due for its annual service in a few weeks so I'm going to have Tesla check that the windows are in the right position for a hard top while doing that. I love the top though and am beyond happy I purchased it.
Hi Matt,

I have had some wind noise around the front corners, but that was due to not pulling down hard enough on the top before tightening the bolts. Don't over-do, however, as it can make the window hit the top when opening the door. I'd play with that first, before having the SC techs adjust things. The way my car is, I can switch between the Visium and soft cover seasonally, with no need for taking the car in.

I, for one, am both grateful and mystified. I got my CPO Roadster with only a bit over 1,000 miles on it. I therefore got a pristine car in excellent shape. Now that I have it, I am mystified as to how the previous owner resisted having all the fun I do. But to that unknown person - Thanks!

I thank the previous owner, though I never knew them, quite often. More than 3 years, and I still appreciate them paying for all that depreciation so I could drive this amazing car all this time.

If anyone is concerned about their roadster not being driven enough I'll be happy to drive it around for a while for you. ;)

//living viciously through y'all by wandering into the roadster forum

I, too, am lurking and would be glad to help mmccord as a caretaker of any ignored Roadster. Heck, I might even qualify as "folk hero": 10000 miles in 2 months in my S90D.o_O

I don't recall seeing anyone in this thread sheepishly admitting, "Yep, that's me, I never drive my cars." I suspect the real reason is quite simple. A lot of early roadsters were bought by extremely wealthy people; people who have so much money that they neither cared that much about the cost of the car in the first place, and they don't care about depreciation either.

As they say, "must be nice."

Clearly the majority of us modern day roadster owners are enthusiasts who bought a used car after, hopefully, most of the deprecation was already taken out of it.

Mine is my personal 'fun car'. It is important to me not to drive too much of the value off of the car, so I gave myself a budget of roughly 5,000 miles a year. I actually have a little spreadsheet where I note the odometer reading every time I take it for a drive.

I assume I won't be driving the car in the winter months, so my monthly mileage budget it 555 miles a month the rest of the year.

In the month of May I was 476 miles over budget, June, 150, and July, 181. For this month I'm still within my budget (largely because Tesla service had it for over a week).

I do tend to drive the car nearly every day, but usually that's just right around town to a restaurant or something. It's when I drive it a long distance to the track or a car show that the miles really add up on me.

I can choose to ignore the budget if I want, but my personal goal was to be able to own the car, drive it for two to three years, and be able to sell it for not much less than I paid for it.

However, my thoughts on this have recently has changed quite a bit. I did not buy the car because I had some kind of hard-on for electric vehicles. I was just looking for a new experience and something rare, but now that I've been driving it for a while, every time I get into an ICE it makes me a little nauseous.

The idea of creating controlled explosions to propel a vehicle now seems to me to be kind of insane; almost barbaric. I didn't expect to feel this way, but the clean, smooth, and immediate acceleration of an EV is hard to go back on.

So, now my thought is I will keep my Roadster until there is an EV convertible sports car to replace it. That seems pretty unlikely to happen though. I don't know of anyone building a drop-top EV sports car in the sub-150k range for a very long time to come.

Now my thinking is that I will just drive the piss out of the Roadster and keep it for a very long time; getting the 3.0 battery upgrade at some point. If, in 7-10 years time Tesla, or someone else, finally produces a new EV roadster that doesn't cost hundreds of thousands of dollars, then maybe I will switch.

Last edited:
I'm the second owner of #278. I have a few cars (Roadster is the nicest one) and I have them all with Condon & Skelly. My policy does have a mileage limit, but in Louisiana, the weather is probably the limiting factor and most roads are generally crappy so I'm a little picky about when/where I drive it. Was driving it yesterday because the rain and heat finally let up a little and the damned love bugs started.

Oh, and I have four kids so if I'm driving the Roadster, I have to know that I don't have any transportation obligations.

Last edited: