Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Understanding TACC (AP1)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes AP1 TACC can handle stop and go traffic jams. Another name for TACC is Adaptive Cruise Control. One warning, if you are approaching traffic that is already stopped, be prepared to stop the car yourself. If it wasn't already tracking the car in front of you it may not acquire it in time depending on your closing speed.

It can definitely handle traffic jams like a champ, and would slow all the way down to a stop and get going again automatically. If it stops for a long time, like minutes, or someone walks in front of your car and is detected by ultrasonic sensors, it will say hold on the dash and requir you to tap the gas to resume going from a stop.

I would almost always activate auto steer as well in a traffic jam. It makes it so much more tolerable.

I use it all the time in LA traffic. It's excellent. When in bumper to bumper traffic i set the speed control to slightly above the traffic speed. It seems to make for a smoother stop and go. You still need to pay attention for the people cutting in and other annoyances. I also use the auto steer function. I set it at one car length.

Moderator note: Added "AP1" to the thread title.

Note that as good as it is, when using TACC and/or autosteer in stop-and-go traffic, one especially needs to beware of cars in adjacent lanes merging in front of you. Just another reason to be paying attention.

Bruce.