Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Underwhelming and disappointing experience so far with my reservation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@JakeP - All Sigs aren't delivered. There are a handful of us still hanging around waiting for our cars. @dcopperfield - Relax. How do you think it feels to be a reasonably early Sig and see all these general production cars flying off he shelves? You put in $5,000 pretty early on but we put in $40,000 and we're still waiting.

As many have said before, you will not be able to make any sense of trying to figure out the production sequence and it's not as if they are going to hold up the line or deliveries just so they can deliver cars in sequence. Hell, if that was the case none of the GPs and half the Sigs wouldn't have received cars because mine isn't delivered yet. The only reasonable thing is to do whatever it takes to produce and deliver the most cars as soon as possible and that seems to be what they are trying to do.

Really I talked to tesla and they said that all sigs had been delivered. ?

I have made the point before about people having selective memories about what they were told about sequence numbers and delivery priorities so I won't harp on it again. It is clear that Tesla had made a few mistakes. They should never have given sequence numbers as a starter. There was no need to and all it has done is upset people. They should simply take an order and provide a forecast on when the car will be ready. I don't think that Tesla should be providing delivery windows either, that is another point of contention. When the car has been shipped to the local service centre, scratches and dings have been repaired, and the car is ready to be picked up then they should contact the customer. Finally Tesla should make it clear that when people change config they go to the back of the bus. There is still way too much misinformation in that regard.

However, being silent and keeping customers in the dark because you don't like giving bad news and you don't want to make excuses for "unique" situations like kroneal and AnOutsider is in my mind incorrect. It builds up resentment.
It's more than that. It erodes customer confidence -- holistically, not just the customer involved in the specific case.

If I had a P reservation and read about the troubles of kroneal and others, I would probably not trust any delivery window given and weekly send e-mail asking for updates. That's basically what I did with my Sig and my 2nd delivery window was given only in response to my e-mail, not proactively.

Couple spare notification with no notification for bad news and you have a recipe for trouble.

- - - Updated - - -

Well then. Let me check my garage, hold on a minute......Nope, all the Sigs have not been delivered.
LOL.

I'm glad to see you've still got an active sense of humor despite the delays.

Dcopperfield - we don't know all of your details, so it's really difficult for anyone else to form some kind of opinion. All I can tell from your post is that you made at least two or three changes along the way. Sig., nonSig, blue, black, it's kind of hard to remain high on the list with multiple changes, but like I said, we don't have all the info. We all could use a little patience. The car will come, and when it does, it will be an awesome day. And then a few weeks later, he novelty will begin to wear off, and we'll look for the next thing to anticipate.

DavidM- I'd agree with your speculation that all the changes ultimately led to the delay but my changes weren't made a month or two ago--- they were made way back in July when i signed my agreement. Nothing has changed since then. I agree with others that its likely a shortage of 21" wheels but im sure there are others here that would argue that is to speculative. Either way, I just wish Tesla would have told me what the delay is. Being left out in the dark while others get deliveries this weekend just isn't a good customer experience.

Precisely the attitude I DON'T want Tesla to have, and neither should you (unless you're ok with being walked on). They're not doing this out of the goodness of their hearts, and I'm not a giggling teenager screaming wildly for the sweaty artist on stage. My money paid for my car, its not a blessing bestowed upon me.

Tesla is the only one game in town. We have no choice but to work with Tesla through their growing pains and accept whatever they tell us- there is no alternative. My main goal was to get my Model S from Tesla as quickly and painlessly as possible. If this means that I have to smile/nod and tell them that I understand, then so be it. Being walked on is sometimes the path of least resistance. If a Tesla employee thinks that I am a pushover customer that is fine. I did not buy a Model S to gain the respect of Tesla employees. The purchase of a Model S is a unique situation where the company selling the vehicle has more leverage than the customer. If you complain too much Tesla could easily tell you to pound sand, as there are hundreds of people that are willing to take your place.

Last edited:
I have made the point before about people having selective memories about what they were told about sequence numbers and delivery priorities so I won't harp on it again. It is clear that Tesla had made a few mistakes. They should never have given sequence numbers as a starter. There was no need to and all it has done is upset people. They should simply take an order and provide a forecast on when the car will be ready. I don't think that Tesla should be providing delivery windows either, that is another point of contention. When the car has been shipped to the local service centre, scratches and dings have been repaired, and the car is ready to be picked up then they should contact the customer. Finally Tesla should make it clear that when people change config they go to the back of the bus. There is still way too much misinformation in that regard.

I think I've said pretty much from the beginning, when people started asking questions about what happens, that the nature of the ramp-up is that the problems are unpredictable. And obviously, they are more unpredictable than Tesla was hoping. However even when that became clear, I assume Tesla felt they had to give out the best educated guesses they could make, firstly, because they were asked for estimates, and had no good reason to deny these requests, and secondly, they needed everyone to get prepared for delivery, to install electrical plugs, prepare insurance and financing, etc. They are implicitly expecting that everyone understands this situation (which would be unwise for them to describe in quotable public statements), but many here are pushing in the opposite direction. As one can see from the dealer lawsuits, not everyone in the car business is happy about a newcomer, so there are obstacles to be overcome; Tesla needs to maintain a good relationship with suppliers, so it may often be difficult to let us know which parts are short or have quality problems, and so on. Also when any specific problems are within the company, they is no point in pointing fingers as that wouldn't be fair since it's just the nature of the situation that a number of things will go wrong. The level of information requested on the forums, and the unforgivingness when any bit of it turns out to be wrong, is simply beyond what they can reasonably supply *at this time* when things are basically unpredictable, and obvious "excuses" such as shortage of staff are hardly accepted.

Guys, just to be clear: I am #962. I understand if #1,100 or even # 1,500 gets their car before me.. Thats not a big deal. Batching makes sense in those cases and is somewhat understandable.
But for people in the 3K and 4K range to be getting their car ahead of me is simply wrong..... no matter how you try and rationalize.

Guys, just to be clear: I am #962. I understand if #1,100 or even # 1,500 gets their car before me.. Thats not a big deal. Batching makes sense in those cases and is somewhat understandable.
But for people in the 3K and 4K range to be getting their car ahead of me is simply wrong..... no matter how you try and rationalize.

We know that. You are not the first in this situation.

Are you speaking of final delivery notices or pre-delivery notices for those with high numbers?

There are about 40 Founders, 1050 Sigs, and let's say 900 general production cars in front of you. Am I right? It's been a week and it's not as if they have delivered 900 production cars or even all 1,050 Sigs. Take a deep breath.

While it IS frustrating, I would have to echo the "take a chill pill" sentiments. Not because you are wrong for feeling how you feel, but because for me, it didn't help any. When I finally just said (for the most part) "eff it, I give up", and started putting more energy into other obsessions, it took the sting off things a bit and I was able to slowly begin appreciating the car and company again. It won't be the same again of course, but at least there's no rage.

Though, I do wish some would try to understand how emotional this whole thing can be for folks who were/are borderline obsessed with the car and the company and who have been counting down days for YEARS.

While it IS frustrating, I would have to echo the "take a chill pill" sentiments. Not because you are wrong for feeling how you feel, but because for me, it didn't help any. When I finally just said (for the most part) "eff it, I give up", and started putting more energy into other obsessions, it took the sting off things a bit and I was able to slowly begin appreciating the car and company again. It won't be the same again of course, but at least there's no rage.

Though, I do wish some would try to understand how emotional this whole thing can be for folks who were/are borderline obsessed with the car and the company and who have been counting down days for YEARS.

You will be blown away when you get your car in a few days and you will forget completely about this whole ordeal. Your car will probably be one of the last Signature's built. That is pretty special!

You will be blown away when you get your car in a few days and you will forget completely about this whole ordeal. Your car will probably be one of the last Signature's built. That is pretty special!
I would say it slightly differently...

You won't forget about the "ordeal" and "drama" of getting your vehicle, but you likely will be able to (for the most part) be able to look back on it as early adopter pain that is behind you. (Unless of course you have an X reservation also... :scared:)

Don't think I'll be blown away (not much left by the way of surprise), but I think I'll be very satisfied with my purchase. I still think it's a great car, and there's none other that I would want to buy.

I would say it slightly differently...

You won't forget about the "ordeal" and "drama" of getting your vehicle, but you likely will be able to (for the most part) be able to look back on it as early adopter pain that is behind you. (Unless of course you have an X reservation also... :scared:)

Agreed, but yes, I DO have an X reserved... a sig one at that. I plan to see how things shake out as a sig s owner -- that'll decide if I stick with the X reservation or not.