Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Undocumented supercharging feature?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It'll only blow by the manual set charge limit if you have the nav set for a multi charge route, and the nav estimates that you'll need more of a charge than manually set... I'd certainly support adding an alert when the manually set charge limit is reached, but would prefer it to continue the charge to the nav estimate. I think it's gonna need to be this way when FSD gets linked to the nav anyway.

That sounds like a bug, not a feature.

if it shut down at 75% and you didn't make it the next leg you needed 90% for would you still call it a bug?

Yes, bug. I set the charge limit on my car in the UI. It should respect that -- period.

Actually, we need to respect what the manual says about this issue, since electronics don't really have respect or disrespect for us. They just act as programmed unless a bug is encountered. So if this is a bug, then I wouldn't expect the manual to tell us this:

Trip Planner
Trip Planner helps you take longer road trips with confidence. If reaching your destination requires charging, Trip Planner routes you through the appropriate Supercharger locations. Trip Planner selects a route that minimizes the time you spend driving and charging. To use Trip Planner, touch Controls >Settings > Apps > Maps and Navigation > Trip Planner > On.

Now, perhaps it should specifically state that this feature will override a preset charge limit but to me it does say it when it says we can "take longer road trips with confidence". To me, that means that such things as the charge limit set for daily driving, as we all usually have it set, doesn't cause us to pull our hair out when we discover it during it a road trip having stopped the supercharger.

So not a bug, at least in my view, since the programmers are telling us this is planned programming -- but it could have been made more clear.

Yes, bug. I set the charge limit on my car in the UI. It should respect that -- period

It seems there is some misconception as to what a software bug is, as that term is often thrown around in a variety of contexts with a variety of perspectives.

A bug is when behavior of software is not as intended by the developer(s). This is unrelated to any software requirements (and/or user preferences) as to how the software should behave.

If the software was designed and implemented to adjust the charge limit as described, it is not a bug.

The charge limit (percentage) is absolutely not site specific. You might be confusing this with the setting that allows you to charge at a certain amperage. That one is site specific. Much like the suspension settings or homelink settings. You can geo tag them.

My Model S and X have always charged to their set limit. Never past it.

Now when using the navigation I usually always have mine set to 90% (sometimes 100%) so with a P100D the chances of me needing to charge past 90% are pretty slim to make it to my destination or another supercharger. I haven't supercharged while using navigation on my Model S in awhile so I can't confirm or deny the above claims.

You guys crack me up...

This feature is certainly implemented as specified. Why would you want to stop charging at your preset if you already told the car you need to get to a destination that requires charging beyond your limit? You obviously don't because you then couldn't complete the trip!

Since you have planned a trip, it has a higher priority than a charge limit.

The requirement would be to create a route that gets the car to the destination with 10-15% battery remaining using superchargers.

The specification would be (among others) calculate charge needed at each stop to get to the next stop and charge to that level.

You might say the specification is wrong but then you would not meet the requirement. It is not an implementation bug.

If the charge continues past what's needed for the next route segment then you'd have an implementation bug based on my stated specification.

First off, I'm rather pissed off that the car would go past the limit that we set. It's called a "limit", not an "opinion". I haven't seen this in action yet, since I always go ahead and move the limit up to 100% when I go on a trip so that it doesn't stop while I'm still on my way back to the car

If you set a destination on the nav, then the car should do whatever it takes to get you there. Stopping at the the manual set charge point becomes secondary compared to what you set the destination in the nav.

Reactions: .jg.
if it shut down at 75% and you didn't make it the next leg you needed 90% for would you still call it a bug?
Given the navigation use the car had the information it needed to thoughtfully override the 75% normal limit. If Nav. was not in use then I would agree a bug

They could add a software message that says something to the effect of "Temporarily increasing charging level maximum due to the distance required to reach the next Supercharger site. If this is not desired, please manually stop the charge session." Then if you manually stop charging, the car displays another message: "Warning: Continued charging is needed to reach the planned destination."

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
I haven’t supercharged much, but I always thought supercharging ignored the limit and always charged to the max. Has anyone been able to successfully supercharge to the set limit?
My Sig P85 has had Standard/Daily as the limit since purchase. It's only been violated once (due to bug discussed with Tesla where it charged to ~96%).

Question re: supercharging stopping before set limit is reached: I haven't taken a long trip in awhile, but a colleague mentioned that a recent software update has the supercharger stop charging once the charge level required to reach your next waypoint is achieved, even if your desired limit setting is higher. Is that true?

Question re: supercharging stopping before set limit is reached: I haven't taken a long trip in awhile, but a colleague mentioned that a recent software update has the supercharger stop charging once the charge level required to reach your next waypoint is achieved, even if your desired limit setting is higher. Is that true?

No, after a year of ownership, I just completed my first road trip with the family, involving a couple of supercharging stops in each direction. Each stop only needed 20-30 min of supercharging, which I think is typical and optimal given the spacing of superchargers. But for us with each stop near a Starbucks or an outlet mall, we usually ended up staying a bit longer than needed.

The app certainly popped up a notification on my phone each time that I had sufficiently charged to continue on my destination. But instead of stopping at the 66% or 55% that was needed in my case, the car kept on charging towards my limit set higher at around 80%, and I was fine with it as there was no hurt to gaining some extra range or margin when we didn't get back to the car quickly.

Last edited:
the supercharger stop charging once the charge level required to reach your next waypoint is achieved, even if your desired limit setting is higher. Is that true?
No. The car gives a popup message to the effect that it has enough charge to reach the destination but it continues (towards the set charge limit). This may be useful if you are considering a detour from the navigator's route or if you want to arrive at the destination with more charge (perhaps, for the next leg of your journey).