Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unfriendly S & X Owners

Do Model S & X owners look down on the Model 3?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wave at the Tesla, not the "owner". I mean, which one is cool? I wave with 3 fingers at 3s. I do a closed fist pump to Model Ss, which is S in American Sign Language. Sometimes a Tesla will flash it's lights at me, which is all I can expect when they don't have hands.

What I notice is that most drivers are not paying attention to anything else than getting to where they're going, so they never see my wave. Meh. I wave anyway.

Most days out here in the SE I rarely see another Tesla, but other days I might see 3 or 4. I'm more likely to wave at another Model 3 driver because they seem to be more enthusiastic and we have that 'recently bought the same awesome car' connection, at least in my experience. Sometimes I see another driver wave but I don't have enough reaction time to return the favor.

LOL, what's up with 28 S&X owners who look down on Model 3 owners?? Or maybe those who perceive so? It's all based on speculation, of course.

I bet they chose it for the fun of it. Besides many owners of 3 are also S & X owners.

The whole Model 3 looks affable for its rounder looking than Model 3. It feels like a little brother on road and I am glad to see them all the time. But for waving? I have to keep my eyes on road and don't want to risk into an accident.

Speaking as an S and 3 owner, I see a lot of projecting in this thread.

I try to wave when I'm under 55mph, and sometimes when at 55 or above. I don't always succeed, but so far it hasn't caused a wreck.

Funny thought crossed my mind.

When I got Model 3, although the sales person was kind, during delivery he didn't say "Welcome to the Tesla family." Maybe he saw too many Model 3 that day that he himself got tired of it (?) :p

When I first got Model S back in 2016 when there were definitely fewer of us, I remember during delivery the sales people (not just one, but all of them) said to us warmly but enthusiastically "Welcome to the Tesla family!"

Not just drivers, but maybe even Tesla sales team changed! Too many Teslas :eek:

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
Back in 2012 and 2013 it seemed like other owners were a lot more friendly. At superchargers everyone would get out of their cars and chat. Now it seems that many sit in their cars and avoid contact.

I wave at other Teslas most of the time even though few wave back. Sometimes I forget what I am driving and I wave when I am in my old Boxster--then I get a strange look back.

I wish I had the opportunity. The only Tesla I've seen locally while driving mine was a Model 3 WAAAY off in the distance, the day after I brought it home. (Only time I've ever seen a 3 on the road, anywhere...) I saw an X for the first time ever locally just a couple of weeks ago - parked right next to it at Sonic, but unfortunately we were in the old ICE van for a Home Depot run so no waving occurred, just ogling. :oops:

We did take a trip to TX over Labor Day weekend and met several S owners at SCs, all of whom were very nice and certainly weren't "looking down" on the 3 - if anything they were impressed that we had gotten our hands on one. I guess not everyone got the memo that anybody and their brother could order one by then, heh. I've seen a few S's around locally, but haven't happened to run into one since I got the 3. I bet this sounds weird to Californians...

We do have a fair number of Leafs around (they make them just down the road from here) - I try to toss them a friendly wave while I'm passing them. ;)

When I'm at a Supercharger and see a Model 3 with new sticker on it's windshield and I see the driver getting out, I have on a number of occasions rolled down the window or walked over that way to say hi and ask them when they got their car. One time the guy I spoke to said he just drove over from the delivery center and needed to charge to make it down to the San Luis Obisbo area; so he was really new. Everyone has been very nice to talk to. Sometimes when approached the new owners will then ask questions since you have made yourself available. Not all of the new owners are current or former Tesla owners so appreciate the chance to chat with another owner. I know when we bought our Model S and were new to EV charging and Teslas in general we appreciated the opportunity to just chat or ask questions about things we still weren't sure of, or tips on trips or whatever. The shared pairing of most Superchargers out there is something that seems to only get passed on to new owners from current owners. I know that's how we found out after we pulled into a spot near someone when lots of other spots were available. Appreciated the advice of how it worked and that we didn't have to sit slow charging when we could get a faster charge sometimes.

The family's getting larger but can still stay nice and friendly and helpful. A lot of people do sit in their cars relaxing or doing whatever though. Others head out for restrooms or grabbing a bite but usually someone is still around charging. Don't be afraid to say hi to a new owner, you might help make their day and give them a chance to talk about their new car.

BTW I think it's really cool that many of you in areas where Teslas aren't plentiful get to be rare surprises for some people who see you and that you get to experience their reactions. I have yet to see a Semi drive by but know I will feel the same excitement seeing one.

I met an awesome new Model S owner in Pittsburgh PA a week ago. A few Model S owners at other superchargers were kinda aloof and didn't want to talk, one Model S couple waved and were friendly. Not many Tesla owners in my area so not many people to meet as I'm usually alone at a supercharger. Hope to meet some other Tesla owners soon!