Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unicorn Spotted in Texas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What makes a car a "unicorn"? I often see people who have a car for sale with a cancelled color claiming it is a rare unicorn car with "no longer available" color xxx. And all I can ever think is that the reason Tesla cancelled the color was that people didn't like it and weren't buying it. So, that color is actually a bad thing, not a good thing.

That said, I think the Signature Red is the prettiest color car in history. I don't think that counts as cancelled though - it was a special color for Signature cars.

as far as I know a unicorn is a P85 or P85+ with AP1... apparently there are only about 350 of these in existence. I told the guy at the dealership that he is way way overpriced and told him he should look at the CPO site to get a feel for real market value. If it was a + it might be worth 70-72 on a good day in my opinion... a straight up P85 should be less than that... Rarity is nice but doesn't necessarily add a ton of value. Unless you love unicorns...

LOL

I purchased a loaded non-CPO 2014 P85 with AP1 back a few months ago from an individual on this site. Admittedly, I was not aware of the rarity of the car when I bought it, but I would agree this one listed above is way overpriced, based on my purchase price. The person buying this car would not get approved for financing either in my opinion, given how high it is priced.

Overpriced cars need to be called out. Ebay has a local P85 that this guy bought jan2016, went 33k miles in 1.5 yrs and has it on ebay for same as he bought it. Its a 2012 P85 95k miles that was just serviced but no trade-ins or choice of options and 45k$ with buy now $49'995.
Wouldnt the world be great if we all could drive luxury cars for a year-and-a-half for free???

Reactions: byeLT4
it is a consignment deal actually... the owner is a friend of the sales manager so he is likely setting the crazy price. I gave them enough info to possibly get them back to earth... besides everything is negotiable. Even on here I don't think it is unusual to start out with a high asking price to feel out a reaction and they usually change when enough of up jump all over them LOL... you can always go lower but you cant go higher...

I just thought it was a unique enough car that someone might want to take a stab at an offer...

What makes a car a "unicorn"? I often see people who have a car for sale with a cancelled color claiming it is a rare unicorn car with "no longer available" color xxx. And all I can ever think is that the reason Tesla cancelled the color was that people didn't like it and weren't buying it. So, that color is actually a bad thing, not a good thing.
Tesla cancelled silver for awhile, and that is a very popular colour. It's back now, but they apparently don't always cancel a colour because it's unpopular. When the Model S general production started there were five colours out of eight choices: three blacks, two whites, silver, brown, red. (My memory says there were nine, but I can't think of the ninth colour, so either I'm not recalling correctly or signature red was included in the nine. And no, it wasn't the dark sliver--that came later.) There now five colours and seven choices: three blacks, white, blue, red, silver.

Is that Addison Texas? The link is dead and I think this is the same one I inquired about. I regret not putting a deposit down to place it on hold the minute it went up. Gone in 48 hours.

Even worse was that I was in contact ready to pickup and then they stopped texting me all of a sudden. Totally threw me under the effing bus.

I'm still on the market though if anyone spots one. I'm ready to buy with cash.

If anyone is interested... I found a 2014 P85 with AP for sale in Texas....seems nicely optioned and it is on consignment from the original owner..Overpriced but a Unicorn none the less...
Definitely overpriced. For comparison, I bought my CPO unicorn (2014 P85+ with AP1) from Tesla (new warranty, etc) last December for $5k less. Fully loaded (except rear facing seats), 28k miles.

• Informative
Reactions: byeLT4