Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Universal Mobile Connector (UMC) in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
4x dual outlet
Do you have further details? thanks

For my long distance driving I still have the diesel LC200 - so I don't think i will drive the MYLR to the snow just yet.
So there is no case for a UMC currently

I'm struggling to think of a scenario
I suggest hold off on the UMC until you really need it, like when you decide to go further than your current EV driving routine (assuming the current routine is supported by adequate charging)

Reactions: Power Hungry
Hi all, I asked this question in the 'Charging' thread but no-one answered. I have the Gen 3 Wall charger at home and was wondering if I really need this Mobile Connector at $550. I'm struggling to think of a scenario where it might be helpful. I understand that if you're in a region where there's nothing else... of course. But it's a lot of 'hootch' for little result perhaps. Anyone with the kit that might offer advice?
I don't think the UMC is worth it. You can already charge at home, which for me is 99% of the time. If you travel a lot away from home and can charge at a wall plug, maybe

The charging network is improving, so technically you can just use those to charge away from home, the cost of that would take ages to cover the $550 for the UMC.

Do you have further details?
The Exploren app says the Thredbo car park chargers are 6x22kW + 2x7kW. BYO cable.

I had a look at them this morning & wrote a note in PlugShare. I think it’s great that they’re there, but I wouldn’t want to be relying on them. They are in the overnight parking section of the car park and not marked as EV charging only. So they could be easily ICEd. And they are free, so it’s going to attract EV drivers who will camp on the spot all day/night just because it’s free. That means that those who really need to charge won’t be able to do so.

Right now, it’s hardly used because it’s not been publicised much. They were mentioned as “coming soon” in a Thredbo publication last year but I haven’t seen anything more about them. They were only added to PlugShare last week so people (including me) didn’t really know about them. The charging spots are protected by movable Bunnings plastic bollards but they won’t stay in position long before they’re moved away & other vehicles park here again.

All up, they need to start charging and include idle fees, and mark the spots as EV charging only.

Hi @Power Hungry ,

The UMC can be handy if you are travelling off the main highways and outside.

I am using a UMC at home for now, but also used it on a recent trip to Eungella, inland of Mackay, to add a bit of extra charge overnight. We wanted to be sure of getting to Proserpine without needing to go through Mackay to charge. That saved us about 60-90 minutes, I reckon.

There is not charging infrastructure in Eungella, but we were staying in a cabin, and asked permission to charge. I needed my extension cord, so kept my amps low to avoid overheating anything.

Reactions: Power Hungry
I am in SA and have used it quite a bit when travelling. Motels have let me use 15A outlets (pre arranged). Staying with friends on 10A. And the occasional caravan park on 15A. Hopefully it's use will get less with more chargers around the place. On our next trip to Lake Entrance I may not finally need it with new chargers in Vic.

I was going to buy a UMC but I am leasing my 3P and the leasing company said I cannot claim electricity usage without a meter. If I got the Gen 3 connector I would be looking at $1900 installed with a meter.

So I looked around and found a quality charger 8A granny charger rather than those generic ones on ebay. EVSE offer a 2 year warranty and they seem legitimate. EVSE had a an EOFY discount a few weeks ago and I got this for about $360 delivered.

Its got a LCD screen with delayed charging, time of charging and how many KWs were fed in. I am getting my 3P this week so havent used it. Its been tested at Telsa on their cars!

Hopefully they will let me claim it for leasing purposes.

I know everyone is different. I work from home 2-3 days a week and got solar. I get at least 2kw on the roof from 10-2 daily so I will trickle it.

For evidentiary purposes I will take a photo of the time and date stamp and provide the screenshot and bill. I'll see how I go.

EVSE.jpg

the leasing company said I cannot claim electricity usage without a meter.
Yes you can.

You could use the ATO determined 4.2c/kilometre for electricity charging, or the cost of commercial charging. Not both. Note it's also comes under a reportable fringe benefit. Best see an accountant

That means you cannot claim supercharging for example and also the 4.2c/km. One or the other.

But for either I believe you must keep logbook of private and business km
Best see an accountant.....

727AB7CA-ED79-425A-AD75-1417A6714C75.jpeg

Last edited:
I have looked at that guidance

The 4.2 cents per kilometre is for people who use the car for business purposes and they use it to claim as a motor vehicle expense under Label D1 of the Income Tax Return. That is $4.20 for 100kms.

If you salary package you cannot use that rate to claim a deduction.

My leasing company has confirmed that with me henceforth my alternative method or I go to Supercharging and pay 60c per kWH. If thats the case I will use my granny charger and trickle it and rely on Solar to power it for nothing.

MYLR.

I'll just keep logbook and let the accountant know what km are business and which are private. The accountant will work it out.
Ok. So this isn’t a novated lease per se. You are claiming depreciation etc. so that 4.2c deal per kilometre or you can claim actual usage when you pay at Supercharger / Evie / Chargefox.

For a Novated lease they will reimburse you for places that give you an actual tax invoice but the 4.2 cents won’t apply for a Novated lease.

Once I try what I have proposed I’ll share back with the group.

With a Novated lease expenses are deducted pre salary. What you do seems like tax deductions post salary. I could be wrong.

Well you can pull 7KW out of them with the right tail single phase in a residential setting so for the price it's not too bad. Especially for renters whod rather just do a industrial GPO over a wall mount. Looking at general reliability and robustness its not that great and there is other competitors around who are proven to be more reliable when used outdoors etc

Id rather not do a harsher DC charge and a slower charge if I can as long as the cars sitting there for enough time like a dedicated 15A circuit for a 3KW session.