Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Universal Mobile Connector (UMC) in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep I get ya Paul. Each to their own. Many reasons why Im not that kinda owner. Ultimately its about how you as the owner, how you want to enjoy your own vehicle :)

Doubt this is something the local service centre could usefully help with. Id wager Id have more luck just calling the support on the UMC and letting them know over the phone. Id reckon its likely two cases - Either its a bug in all the various software stack where at the moment on the current code it cant reliably wake up the charge port from sleeping in the UMC, or everything is OK with the sleep states and so on but the logs havent been coded yet to tidy up the logging and make the logging more sensible in line with updates to sleep states and evolving the code. Either way thats code changes to fix and not something a service centre can handle.

where the battery is ever "at risk" on the DC side due to the AC side having issues.
the battery is protected by the inverter
It has pretty fancy cooling via water cooling
The inverter is not immersed by liquid cooling though. The liquid cooling cools the heatsink under the inverter. Higher than usual voltage may affect components that may or may not have effective heat sink. Its a worry only because in the past, Ive had electronics failure of various appliances and have always just put it down to bad luck.

the battery is protected by the inverter
Yep as I said the PCS handles that the BMS gets DC, your snipping quotes dude its misleading
The inverter is not immersed by liquid cooling though. The liquid cooling cools the heatsink under the inverter.
Umm yeah, thats standard. Full submersion like in 3M fluids for that purpose tends to kinda suck and has limited application in niches like large data centers

The bigger risk is the electrical not thermal side the 3/Y have heaps of cooling. I dunno much on the PCS bord that youtube video looks at atleast one version of it. You could just use a longer cable run I spose if your really worried and shed some excess energy in waste that way.

I'll check again what V specs are for done of the electronics appliances around the house.

I actually dont need 11kW charging as charging is completed way before time to drive. Despite the 3 phase, I should have got the UMC instead.
I am trying to maximise my use of solar PV for charging, so find the UMC isn't enough if we are doing a lot of driving. We can end up spending several days slowly rebuilding the battery charge with the UMC. For that reason, and for our setup with lots of solar PV available, I would like more charge than the UMC provides. There is also a nice safety blanket in knowing that I can add charge quickly if there is ever a pressing need.

That said, for households who drive average distances and/or are happy to charge from the grid, the UMC can be plenty. I am still undecided about spending the money on a wall charger, but will probably not do it at least until Charge on Solar arrives (it would annoy me to be charging at 11kW and suddenly be drawing from the grid because a cloud blew over or the household draw increased for a while).

I actually dont need 11kW charging as charging is completed way before time to drive. Despite the 3 phase, I should have got the UMC instead.
Personally I'm a lot more comfortable with the wired-in device for everyday use - the plug/socket is typically the weak link where a bad connection can develop. I've seen some pretty gnarly pictures of melted GPO internals.

Reactions: JonDarian
I've seen some pretty gnarly pictures of melted GPO internals.
Domestic GPO terminals are not IP rated and not any close match to the industrial sockets typically found in Aus.

Commercial kitchens. Farmers. Live events. So so many areas rely on IP66 rated, super robust mechanically locking, over built industrial sockets. The length of the copper pins + their diameter and the mechanical lock - far far more reliable socket & plug mechanisms than a domestic GPO. They also have plastics specifications beyond domestic GPOs. Pluggable cycles is way higher too on the wear and long term endurance.

I certainly agree with you that poor install can give risk mate. Brother Id say that same thinking applies to a wired install too albeit less. A loose dry joint in a wall charger can happen though obviously less to potentially go wrong.

A thought I had, unfortunately it’s hard to google for…

Is there such thing as a third party tail which is just like the factory 15A tail, except the cord comes directly out of the socket instead of at an annoying 45 degree angle?

Would there be demand for this? The 45 degree plug makes it impossible to use at most caravan parks (without an extension cord).

A thought I had, unfortunately it’s hard to google for…

Is there such thing as a third party tail which is just like the factory 15A tail, except the cord comes directly out of the socket instead of at an annoying 45 degree angle?

Would there be demand for this? The 45 degree plug makes it impossible to use at most caravan parks (without an extension cord).
If you go for the bundle style gen2 adapters from evchargers.com.au,
You can get what you want by buying just one tail for the bundle. Then you get a CEE 3 pin 32A tail with a 15A straight tail to connects to the CEE 3 pin. Note you have to manually dial down the amps and lose at least some one the temperature protection of the standard tail.

A 2.5mm core 10m extention lead might be better value though. And more versatile. In cases of rain it may allow you to put the UMC under the car to protect from the weather.

Online seller example,

Last edited:
If you go for the bundle style gen2 adapters from evchargers.com.au,
That's the same style kit I borrowed from TOCA for my recent trip!

I did use the 15A tail once, but the large footprint of the plug meant that it covered the neighbouring socket.

I have a 15A extension cord, which I used several times to get around this issue, but I would have to dial down to 10A (well, wouldn't *have* to, but considered it a good idea since the plug would get hot). It was the dialling down I was hoping to avoid. Also the need to uncoil a 10m cable around a camp site when I didn't need any extra length.

A 2.5mm core 10m extention lead might be better value though.
On investigating, I thought all 15A extension leads would be capable of 15A, but I would guess the one I have is 1.5mm core. That explains the warm plug (mentioned above).

Maybe a new extension cord is what I actually need... now the challenge is looking for a 2.5mm one that is 5 metres or less!

That's the same style kit I borrowed from TOCA for my recent trip!

I did use the 15A tail once, but the large footprint of the plug meant that it covered the neighbouring socket.
Maybe you could consider that a feature. May not want to plug anything else in beside it if drawing 15A continuous on its pair.

I have a 15A extension cord, which I used several times to get around this issue, but I would have to dial down to 10A (well, wouldn't *have* to, but considered it a good idea since the plug would get hot). It was the dialling down I was hoping to avoid. Also the need to uncoil a 10m cable around a camp site when I didn't need any extra length.

On investigating, I thought all 15A extension leads would be capable of 15A, but I would guess the one I have is 1.5mm core. That explains the warm plug (mentioned above).

Maybe a new extension cord is what I actually need... now the challenge is looking for a 2.5mm one that is 5 metres or less!
I have not used them but this mob appear to make up custom leads,
Though the default 15A plug is of the bulky waterproof style you noted above.

For extension cords, it all depends on the conductor size and length. 1.5mm core is for 15A continuous is really borderline for a 10m extension lead so I’m not surprised the plugs got hot.

In fact this site says 14A would be the maximum for that in a flexible cable:

For 15A, you really should get a lead with 2.5mm conductors.

• Informative
Reactions: JonDarian