Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unknown key and walk away

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If its seen as a significant issue, I am sure they will release a patch or update for 2021.32.21 - these things don't normally need a full version release to sort and unfortunately for those affected, regressions such as this are quite common. A good reason not to be at the bleeding edge of the release cycle - let the issues get resolved without constantly taking updates.
hopefully they release a patch then

It’s so strange, I added my iPhone 11 Pro Max, came up as unknown, I added my wife’s iPhone 13 Pro, came up as iPhone! Then I added my new iPhone 13 Pro Max, came up as unknown!

I even tried deleting my phone, deleted Tesla app, reinstalled Tesla app, added my phone again, still says unknown!!

Strange, when I added my key fob it fixed the greyed out walk away to lock option. have you tried removing the key fobs and re-adding them?
Yes sir. I have removed and re-added them several times. It’s showing the fobs, cards and phone as unknown types. I tried soft rebooting the Tesla and it deleted my profile and lost all the data. I reinstalled the app several times also. The app says last seen 1 day ago as well even though the car is connected to 1 GB wifi as well as my phone. I’m having lots of problems

It’s so strange, I added my iPhone 11 Pro Max, came up as unknown, I added my wife’s iPhone 13 Pro, came up as iPhone! Then I added my new iPhone 13 Pro Max, came up as unknown!

I even tried deleting my phone, deleted Tesla app, reinstalled Tesla app, added my phone again, still says unknown!!
When i first got the car a couple months ago the phone key would say unknown, one of the updates since has caused it to show as an iPhone 12 Pro Max

Reactions: teaston
9B6B521C-958F-4D43-B3AF-7677911632D3.png
Yes sir. I have removed and re-added them several times. It’s showing the fobs, cards and phone as unknown types. I tried soft rebooting the Tesla and it deleted my profile and lost all the data. I reinstalled the app several times also. The app says last seen 1 day ago as well even though the car is connected to 1 GB wifi as well as my phone. I’m having lots of problems
Very strange, I guess I’ve just been lucky then!

Have you set all the Tesla app options to be allowed like this:

I replaced one model 3 key with another (it didn't like getting immersed in sea water). It now shows as type unknown rather than keyfob, but everything works as before, including walk-away locking.

I replaced one model 3 key with another (it didn't like getting immersed in sea water). It now shows as type unknown rather than keyfob, but everything works as before, including walk-away locking.
I had to replace two (warped) keycards with two flat ones and a similar thing happened: incorrect (skeleton key) graphic and/or 'Unknown key' writing, but they associate with profiles as you'd expect, and walk-away locking works.

Picked up a LR MY on Monday. Everything worked fine and then it just magically stopped today and I have the same issue as everyone else.

I did not update my car or have any updates since I took delivery. It used to work and now it doesn't, how could thst change without any changes to my software?

This is so frustrating..

Update: walk away actually works.. It just shows its greyed out and off...

So I give up.

Last edited: