Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

UnpluggedP

Global Vendor
Mar 27, 2014
Hawthorne, CA
In our never-ending pursuit for efficiency through weight savings, we have developed the world’s lightest weight wheel option, designed specifically for the Tesla Model S, X and 3. Produced in aerospace-grade forged aluminum for maximum weight savings and strength, the Unplugged Performance UP-03 wheels for Tesla Model X are the product of a massive amount of R&D.

• Designed and manufactured in the USA specifically for the entire Model X range.
  • Produced in light weight forged 6061-T6 aerospace-grade aluminum for superior strength
  • 20″ application is 19.6lbs (8.9kg) per wheel – 50% lighter than factory wheels on Model X!!
  • Available is a 20″ “drag spec” wheel set, which features anti-slip knurling, an F1 race car technology
  • 22″ designed to accept factory standard 22″ tires
  • Accepts all Tesla factory components: Center Caps, TPMS adapters, Tesla lug nuts and correct Tesla center bore
  • Custom colors are available, please inquire with us for options and pricing
  • We will offer custom paint-matching service for customers with existing OEM Tesla center caps, please inquire for more information
Unplugged-Performance-UP-03-22inch-Superlight-Weight-Wheel---BLACK-ANGLE.jpg
Unplugged-Performance-UP-03-22inch-Superlight-Weight-Wheel---BLACK-CLOSE-CONCAVE.jpg
Unplugged-Performance-UP-03-22inch-Superlight-Weight-Wheel---BLACK-CONCAVE.jpg
Unplugged-Performance-UP-03-22inch-Superlight-Weight-Wheel---BLACK-FACE.jpg
Unplugged-Performance-UP-03-22inch-Superlight-Weight-Wheel---BLACK-FORGED.jpg

Unplugged Performance UP-03 Super Light Wheels for Tesla Model X

• Informative
Reactions: IdaX
@UnpluggedP Do you have any data, even if it's not exactly scientific, on how this improves the range? For example, anecdotally the factory 20" wheels improve range from 5% to as much as 10% (anecdotally). I have the factory 20" wheels and am curious if there is a similar benefit to these 20" wheels. The aesthetics of the wheels aren't as interesting to me but increased range is worth a lot.

@UnpluggedP Do you have any data, even if it's not exactly scientific, on how this improves the range? For example, anecdotally the factory 20" wheels improve range from 5% to as much as 10% (anecdotally). I have the factory 20" wheels and am curious if there is a similar benefit to these 20" wheels. The aesthetics of the wheels aren't as interesting to me but increased range is worth a lot.

Great question. We don't have any range data as it is not something we are able to reliably test and quote. All factors in a test would have to be identical to provide accurate info. We welcome independent testing but as the manufacturer we wouldn't want to provide anecdotal comparisons and have it be incorrect by any margin for the end user. From the most basic standpoint, if you are going from a 20" factory wheel to a forged wheel at a fraction of the weight X does not have to work nearly as hard to turn the wheels. I can also tell you that the improvement to acceleration, handling and steering feel is noticeable

Great question. We don't have any range data as it is not something we are able to reliably test and quote. All factors in a test would have to be identical to provide accurate info. We welcome independent testing but as the manufacturer we wouldn't want to provide anecdotal comparisons and have it be incorrect by any margin for the end user. From the most basic standpoint, if you are going from a 20" factory wheel to a forged wheel at a fraction of the weight X does not have to work nearly as hard to turn the wheels. I can also tell you that the improvement to acceleration, handling and steering feel is noticeable

I will provide some feedback when my UP-03’s arrive. I have many to compare against between my to Model x’s. We have the stock 20’s, stock 22’s, Tsportlines 22” MX115’s w/ conti DWS tires which will be same tires used on my UP-03’s when they arrive. Obviously, it will not be scientific but I frequently make a 800 mile round trip and will report back what wh/mi I achieve w/ these UP-03’s. I have wind, temp’s, speed as well with my different wh/mi data for comparison as many of you are aware plays a big role in energy consumption as well. The UP-03’s will be my lightest set of wheels/tires.

Reactions: UnpluggedP
Very nice! How do these do with towing and heavy loads?

When it comes to 22” wheels I have found that the limiting towing capacity lies w/ the tire load rating not the wheels. 22” wheels w/ 35 side walls just can’t manage a good load rating. If towing I would highly recommend the 20” wheels. I have a 6x12’ trailer I tow every couple months and I always tow w/ my 20” wheels.

I will provide some feedback when my UP-03’s arrive. I have many to compare against between my to Model x’s. We have the stock 20’s, stock 22’s, Tsportlines 22” MX115’s w/ conti DWS tires which will be same tires used on my UP-03’s when they arrive. Obviously, it will not be scientific but I frequently make a 800 mile round trip and will report back what wh/mi I achieve w/ these UP-03’s. I have wind, temp’s, speed as well with my different wh/mi data for comparison as many of you are aware plays a big role in energy consumption as well. The UP-03’s will be my lightest set of wheels/tires.

That would be great! We appreciate any feedback.

Very nice! How do these do with towing and heavy loads?

A set of UP-03s is rated for an 8000lb vehicle. Agree with @Lbkmxp100d about the tires.

@UnpluggedP I met up w/ some a group of Tesla owners recently and we discussed options on brake kits. Know one could think of an option that offered both front and rear carbon ceramic brake kit? Also, I would be interested in just cc rotors and pads and reuse stock calipers. Do y’all have any plans of this in the future?

At this point I believe we are one of the only companies with a carbon ceramic brake upgrade. I believe there may be one or two others at a much higher price point. We have only developed a front carbon ceramic brake kit as that's where you will see the most weight reduction and most improvement in stopping power. At this point we don't have any plans for a different brake set up.

Reactions: Lbkmxp100d