Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Unsubstantiated Rumor] Just Read That A 130 Battery Is Being Tested??!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2170 cells in the 3 are taller than the 18650 cells in the S and X. That switch would require a new battery pack design, and thus a new chassis design to accommodate the increased height. 2170 cells are no doubt headed to the entire Tesla fleet, but I wouldn't expect them in the S and X until they get a full down-to-the-frame new model in a few years. Tesla's going to have their hands full with the 3 and Semi and Y in the interim.
The air suspension, MAY make re-design a little easier. guess 2020? But changes in demand will probably affect priorities, right? and competition? GM, Nissan, Audi, BMW, Merc, Bentley

"friend of an exec" lol are we going to play the kevin bacon of tesla employees? All hearsay. Elon stated this year that no plans to increase beyond 100 for now. The 100kwh is already pretty maximized and theres no physical way to squeeze more cells into the current form factor.

that being said in a few years yeah we'll for sure see higher capacities, but not "soon."

Do we really need 130kwh battery? Or would we have a 100kwh battery that cost 10k less and weights 500lb less so the car can be cheaper, faster and longer range already? I can't really imagine situations where 550km range isn't enough but 650km is.
This has been discussed over and over on this forum, but I get what you mean.

Model 3 LR charges as fast in km/h (miles/h) as a Model S because it can cover the same distance with less energy.

So a lighter 100kWh pack might result in a more efficient vehicle bringing you over larger distances with the same amount of energy.

There is a point where it's no longer a good thing to make a bigger battery. Is that 100kWh? 120? 150? 200? I don't know.

Reactions: J1mbo and Carl
It's fair to assume that there will be a P110 or P120 soon, especially given the steep discounts on P100D inventory vehicles over which an Arizona employee was fired when he publicized those deals to local owners. I certainly wouldn't be buying a Model S right now. It's going to be completely redesigned soon, it is inferior to the Model 3 in so many ways that Tesla doesn't want you to know.

Reactions: avesraggiana
It's fair to assume that there will be a P110 or P120 soon, especially given the steep discounts on P100D inventory vehicles over which an Arizona employee was fired when he publicized those deals to local owners. I certainly wouldn't be buying a Model S right now. It's going to be completely redesigned soon, it is inferior to the Model 3 in so many ways that Tesla doesn't want you to know.

I don''t think it helps with these constant updates, as I feel short changed when an update is shortly released. I appreciate its good to keep moving forward, but it's hard to be satisfied following an update with the same car.

I just spoke to my Tesla dealership today, and one of the guys working there let slip that some big news is due soon, as early as this month.

I don't know about the redesign though and also how the Model S is inferior.

I don''t think it helps with these constant updates, as I feel short changed when an update is shortly released. I appreciate its good to keep moving forward, but it's hard to be satisfied following an update with the same car.

I just spoke to my Tesla dealership today, and one of the guys working there let slip that some big news is due soon, as early as this month.

I don't know about the redesign though and also how the Model S is inferior.

You really think this guy knows "big news?" not confronting, just curious.

Agreed. Tesla should slow down the pace of innovation, they are getting way too far ahead of the other car companies and it's really hard on Tesla owners, since these constant improvements make owners who were very happy with their new Tesla just a few months earlier suddenly become angry and frustrated that they no longer have the latest and greatest! ;)

I think there will be a bigger pack, or more accurately a pack with more range as they might move away from including the battery size in the branding of the vehicles. I also think they would do this as part of a refresh of the interior with a two main goals; Make it a bit more plush and upscale and simplify the design like the Model 3. If they replace the instrument cluster with a HUD, they can change S/X to a dash more like the model 3 (same technically but much nicer of course). This would also make the car much simpler to build because of one screen vs two and new tech used to simplify the Model 3 wiring and parts. The end goal will be to move S/X more up market and away from the model 3. They need to be able to justify the price without any tax incentives and to do that, they need to improve the finish touches and lower costs to have more flexibility in pricing.

Reactions: AmpedRealtor
2170 cells in the 3 are taller than the 18650 cells in the S and X. That switch would require a new battery pack design, and thus a new chassis design to accommodate the increased height. 2170 cells are no doubt headed to the entire Tesla fleet, but I wouldn't expect them in the S and X until they get a full down-to-the-frame new model in a few years. Tesla's going to have their hands full with the 3 and Semi and Y in the interim.

As we have discussed in several other threads on the subject, the existing pack casing has ~6mm of dead space in the bottom of it. It's possible 2170's could be accommodated within the same pack height profile.

• Informative
Reactions: Brando and GoTslaGo
I think given the discussion thus far, I'm going to hold till late this year on ordering a new Model S. Chances are something will happen.

Wise choice, it's been nearly a year since the AP2 announcement and while many configuration and price changes, not a huge amount changes to the actual car. IMHO, we're due for an update.

I know they've been a lot of changes on base-model 70/75kw, new motor, etc, but I'm talking about changes to the top end Performance.

Sooner or later when Porsche, MB, and Audi get serious, my guesses would be they would implement multi-motor (3 or 4 motors) with torque steer. Tesla needs to get there eventually whether in this generation or the next.

Better suspension, I keep beating this dead horse because people some us want options other than the floaty air suspension. Bring back the + or an even better suspension (MR Fluid) as an option for those who want a firmer ride. A new suspension that can dial in both floaty or firm at touch of a button would be even better.

MCU updates, that Tegra is a dinosaur, time to move up to what's inside the Model 3.

I'm OK on the interior but any updates would be welcomed.

Reactions: pilotSteve
"friend of an exec" lol are we going to play the kevin bacon of tesla employees? All hearsay. Elon stated this year that no plans to increase beyond 100 for now. The 100kwh is already pretty maximized and theres no physical way to squeeze more cells into the current form factor.

that being said in a few years yeah we'll for sure see higher capacities, but not "soon."

Frankly, I have more faith in the "friend of an exec" story than something Elon said in public. :)

Not that it means the "friend of an exec" story is true, it just means we can not count on either comment...

As for the form-factor, 2170s could change it all.

AutoPilot, White, version 3 SuperChargers, Semi intro, crash test ratings, 1st driverless across US, next Factory location, 1st fleet sale, stopping all Model S updates to stop whiners [just kidding], new low rolling resistant tire, Model 3 at Tesla stores for test driving, price reduction (oops already got that).

A lot of potential big news from Tesla, what did I miss? Apology from Bob Lutz and Alpha... Even Jim Cramer starts to rate as a buy? Partnership for battery factory with other automaker? Partnership with SuperCharger network?

PS- I see no reason for Model S/X to change batteries at this point. When others start offering better?
1865 (18650) has huge customer base and long track record.

'I think we will probably stop at 100kWh battery size' -Elon Musk

The solution to that problem is more Superchargers... not a massive battery.

I'm not sure what your threshold for "massive" is, as we already have 100's.Suggesting more than that is all of the sudden massive seems rather arbitrary.

What's more, the 100's fit in the same space an 85 did a couple of years ago. Chemistry advancements suggest greater capacity batteries will eventually be able to fit in the same space we have today. And will be cheaper to boot.

As far as I'm concerned. a battery that can provide range similar to that of an ICE in less than ideal conditions (cold, weather, autobahn, towing, etc...) isn't needlessly "massive", but rather it means that Elon's goal of EV's being a "no compromise" vehicle is even closer.