Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unveiling on Oct 17th

What's your best bet on what Tesla will reveal on Oct 17th?

• Autopilot 2.0

Votes: 233 36.4%
  • Model 3 - Part 2 (better-looking face, Head up display driving w/o wheel etc)

Votes: 65 10.2%
  • Non-performance 100D (world's longest range EV)

Votes: 100 15.6%
  • 65 kwh/ 80 kwh battery for Model S/X (60/75 will be removed)

Votes: 11 1.7%
  • Model Y (small SUV)

Votes: 72 11.3%
  • Tesla Semi

Votes: 15 2.3%
  • Tesla Bus

Votes: 12 1.9%
  • Tesla Pick-up truck

Votes: 11 1.7%
  • Faster/better supercharger (200 kw charging, or charging snake)

Votes: 52 8.1%
  • Iron Man metal suit

Votes: 69 10.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but that article does never say which GPU's can run that AI, so that does not imply that Titans where not used to run the Drive Px 2 Api.
Well we know that Drive PX2 uses Pascal with at least 256 CUDA cores. The Titan X has 3584 CUDA cores (it is a really big chip). Until someone gets the first vehicle with the new tech we won't know exactly what chip/package Tesla chose to go with.

The geek in me wants to see the Titan X shoehorned into a car, but the pragmatist figures it won't be that chip.

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo
If you don't care about Autopilot, like me, then one of the biggest benefits of AP 2.0 is that every non-AP Model S and every 1st gen AP Model S just got $10,000 cheaper in purchase price. Time to go buy a CPO / used Model S! Almost as good and a whole lot cheaper!

It now allows Elon to discount all those inventory cars and be consistent with his letter a few weeks ago.

Can anyone verify the decrease in price is happening?

Last edited:
Doesn't beta imply they will finish the product at some point and leaving it useless and nonupgradeable may be a breach of what they sold?
Yes, "beta" was definitely a horrible choice of description and "autopilot" might have been even worse. In reality this was "enhanced cruise control" or "cruise plus", but common sense(as noted above) dictates that the hardware included for autopilot wasn't anywhere near what would be needed for the clearly predicted full autonomy.

Fortunately for pre-autonomy Tesla owners, you've either already made enough profit off Tesla stock or you can be confident of doubling within 18 months to buy another one. Tesla will be at the forefront of autonomous electric vehicle production AND solar/battery solutions. Just ride the wave.

It now allows Elon to discount all those inventory cars and be consistent with his letter a few weeks ago.

Can anyone verify the decrease in price is happening? If a reasonably ranged S gets close to my M3 price due to it being obsolete it might be hard for some of us not to jump.
They haven't started discounting prices yet. I think @timk225 was just predicting that the new AP 2.0 hardware will cause the prices of CPOs and older inventory to go down. The only price drops I've seen for the past several weeks on TeslaInventory.com are due to the miles that are put on inventory/CPO cars for test drives and when they are used as loaners. If you look at the historical (inactive listings), you can see the large discounts that were offered in September but nothing like that in October so far. BTW, you can also see some of the first cars with the new AP hardware (such as the Model X VIN: 22086 in the US). I'm guessing that the first batch listed were most likely showroom/loaner models but they were showing up as being available for purchase.

2016-10-21_1018.png

Last edited:
I was one of those who gave you pushback on the shadow mode. In that thread, our discussion was about whether or not shadow mode created the illusion of driving. I continue to believe that's what it does. It gives you some set of constraints wherein you can drive, and if you are doing something dangerous, it just does what it would do anyway.

I believe my analogy was a kid on a train with a toy steering wheel.
You were a big one but not the only one. Your acting it would be like one of those toy cars that toddlers have where there is a steering wheel screwed to the dash but mommy is pushing it around with the handle from the back. It's not. Your in enough control to make it dynamic. Entertaining like a video game. You get to have fun but when you die, you don't actually die. It allows complete control when needed like when the computer does not know what to do. If it's so smart that it can drive itself and correct me, it should be smart enough to know when it does not know and give me control. Like when your not on a road without defined lines. You don't need to actually be in complete control to satisfy people, just enough to let them enjoy it.

Tell me about it. When I decided to not opt for the lease w/buyaback option I knew my resale value would be down due to incremental improvements over the years, but I didn't expect to see the 100D and AP2 come only a few months after taking delivery.

This is precisely why I took the financing with buyback option when I got my car 6+ months ago. I wasn't thinking about autopilot in particular, but I was thinking that there could some unforeseen technology improvements that would crash the resale value, the most likely scenario being that Model 3 exceeds expectations enough to depress demand for Model S.

I'm not sure if it was in this thread where someone complained about being "blindsided," but I was among many owners who paid 50% more for my Tesla than for any previous new car. This made me want to exercise a lot of diligence before taking the plunge, especially with new technology that might have reliability issues. That search led me quickly to this Forum as an excellent resource. Pre-purchase, most of that diligence was related to the drive unit and pano roof problems. While there was no hard data a year ago, I concluded that efforts had been made to solve those problems. 11,000 miles in, so far so good and we are delighted owners.

The buyback option was was probably introduced as a hedge against reliability problems for brand new technology in 2012-13. By the time I took delivery in April 2016 I decided it was more a hedge against unforeseen technology improvements. My guess is that Tesla does not believe it needs the buyback option for reliability assurance anymore, and this did away with it a few months after our purchase.

With regard to autopilot, it was not a high priority when we ordered, and it was not included in our order until we read favorable reviews and took an additional test drive with it. Now that we have it, we use TACC a lot, Autopark some, and Autosteer mainly in congested traffic situations. As we probably use the Autopilot features less often than the average owner on these Forums, I'm not that upset about missing Autopilot 2.0 by close to a year in terms of improved functionality over Autopilot 1.0.

However, if Autopilot is close to Level 4 functionality during our April-June 2019 option window, that will be a point in favor of exercising that option. The other point would be substantially improved Gigafactory batteries in terms of range or charging speed.

• Informative
Reactions: mblakele
They haven't started discounting prices yet. I think @timk225 was just predicting that the new AP 2.0 hardware will cause the prices of CPOs and older inventory to go down. The only price drops I've seen for the past several weeks on TeslaInventory.com are due to the miles that are put on inventory/CPO cars for test drives and when they are used as loaners. If you look at the historical (inactive listings), you can see the large discounts that were offered in September but nothing like that in October so far. BTW, you can also see some of the first cars with the new AP hardware (such as the Model X VIN: 22086 in the US). I'm guessing that the first batch listed were most likely showroom/loaner models but they were showing up as being available for purchase.

Yes, due to supply and demand for the new AP 2 cars, every older Tesla just got cheaper. Great for future buyers like me, not great for present owners.

The September fire sale now looks motivated by more than just the 3rd quarter sales goal. I was told that inventories of old cars are quite lean now, and that's no accident IMHO.

I'm sure my car depreciated but I don't care until it's time to evaluate my buyback option in 2019.

As far as future buyers are concerned, if I were buying now I would be getting better Autopilot but I also would be paying $7,000 more (facelift price increase too) vs. what I paid in April.

It will be interesting to see the evolution of Tesla pricing once the higher volume Model 3 is here. Tesla's fixed pricing is a viable strategy only as long as the vast majority of cars are custom ordered. For other companies, the vast majority of cars are sold out of inventory. Price haggling/flexibility is inevitable selling cars out of inventory IMHO, as was demonstrated in September.