Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unveiling on Oct 17th

What's your best bet on what Tesla will reveal on Oct 17th?

• Autopilot 2.0

Votes: 233 36.4%
  • Model 3 - Part 2 (better-looking face, Head up display driving w/o wheel etc)

Votes: 65 10.2%
  • Non-performance 100D (world's longest range EV)

Votes: 100 15.6%
  • 65 kwh/ 80 kwh battery for Model S/X (60/75 will be removed)

Votes: 11 1.7%
  • Model Y (small SUV)

Votes: 72 11.3%
  • Tesla Semi

Votes: 15 2.3%
  • Tesla Bus

Votes: 12 1.9%
  • Tesla Pick-up truck

Votes: 11 1.7%
  • Faster/better supercharger (200 kw charging, or charging snake)

Votes: 52 8.1%
  • Iron Man metal suit

Votes: 69 10.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon Musk on Twitter

Elon Musk Verified account ‏@elonmusk
Moving the Tesla announcement to Wednesday. Needs a few more days of refinement.

4:27 PM - 16 Oct 2016
0 replies 27 retweets 58 likes

The delays seems to make sense for Tesla Vision / AP2.0.

The faster they eliminate Mobileye from their suppliers, the better.

They need a few more days of refinement as the squadron of mules with TV/AP2 hardware are driving around doing deep learning AI.

I wouldn't be surprised if TV will increase in price say 1/1/2017 in order to get some more q4 orders.

Reactions: calisnow
The delays seems to make sense for Tesla Vision / AP2.0.

I agree. I think they need more time to refine *how* it is announced since this new hardware, processor and software suite will likely have the capability to be fully autonomous but Tesla can't (or should not) sell it as that since no legislation allows for that, and they already got themselves in trouble the first time around using the "autopilot" moniker. Knowing Tesla though, the first draft probably reads like it will tuck you into bed after driving you home from the bar passed out. I bet the legal department was just handed the press release and wants a rewrite. That's my guess anyway.

Reactions: sillydriver
According to Elecktrek.co the announcement is for Tesla Vision (in-house MobileEye replacement).

They have a good track record for calling these things ahead of time (some well placed sources and a sense of credibility towards the journalistic standards of Mr Lambert do help here).

So yep - that's my guess (i voted AP 2.0 above).
I think you are right, but I'm hoping it includes the heads up display. Seems like a stretch, but I think that would move the demand needle, if not share price.

[Western media] tell it like it is. Just because worse examples can be found does not take away from the fact that suicide nets are needed at FoxConn and that's a point of interest, and perhaps a moral dilemma, to someone in the west with an iPhone in his pocket.

The suicide rates at FoxConn are half the national Chinese average, so FoxConn is doing relatively well. We just don't comprehend the sheer number of employees they have.

But back on topic -- I say the announcement will be AP2.0 with the potential to be fully autonomous with future software updates.

I think that seems most likely. It fits the scale of announcement ... significant enough, wasn't expected at this point, not too significant in other ways.

I could imagine a regular Uninterruptible Power Supply unit, for companies perhaps but even a small one for home use to keep your power going. Perhaps that's more indirect advertising than a product too. It fits in some ways - but I don't see that as a Tesla interest.

The suicide rates at FoxConn are half the national Chinese average, so FoxConn is doing relatively well.

Again, using something worse to justify something bad makes no sense to me, and that's aside from the fact that losing a job is one of the main reasons for suicide (#7 of the top 10 reasons). Mental illness is number 1 and it's hard to even hold a job in the first place if you suffer from certain forms of mental illness. So using employed and otherwise capable people at Foxconn vs. the Chinese national average rate for suicide is more than a little misleading, to say the least.

We just don't comprehend the sheer number of employees they have.

No, it's not the sheer number of employees that we don't comprehend. It's having to have suicide nets at their factories that we don't comprehend. We have a lot places with tons of employees in the western world but our suicide nets are on bridges, not on factories that employees (slaves?) find it difficult to even get out the door, at least according to the documentary I watched, where their documents were taken away, and where they were coached to deal with the current bad press, and to fill out questionnaires about how rosy their working conditions are. Foxconn is great at that, and at throwing out misleading stats about suicide rate comparisons, as they erect more nets on their factories to try to keep the suicide rates down. Every worker caught by a net reduces that rate to compare to the national average.

Sorry for the off topic but Elon gave us two more days and we need to fill the time! ;)

Last edited:
This being teslamotorsclub forum I dont think its the best place for this conversation.

I think it's a fine place for this conversation and I thank the poster for mentioning the topic.

...I think Tesla/Musk may have found someone with very deep pockets (like a Google or an Apple) to buy into Tesla....Any thoughts on what else it might be?

I think the fact that Musk claims they don't need funding is an indication that AP 2.0/Tesla Vision is about to drop, and Musk believes orders are going to surge - increasing cash flow.

Really? refinement? Whatever.

If Tesla is training/tweaking a neural network that needs to interpret data from even more cameras and radars, and they have also sped up development of AP 2.0 compared to whatever internal schedule existed before, then "a few days" of "refinement" makes perfect sense - perhaps running more corner cases, difficult road/traffic scenarios etc. If you have a more likely idea of what refinement is referring to let us know.

So what kind of announcement would benefit from a couple more days of "refinement"? Maybe refining the specifics of the announcement rather than refining the product being announced?

See above

I agree. I think they need more time to refine *how* it is announced

I'm going with "refinement" meaning they are ironing out the software for AP 2.0/Tesla Vision before they demo it. I would not be surprised if Elon has aggressively whipped his team to speed up AP 2.0 by a couple months - in order to juice orders more, increase confidence in the company and help push through the Solar City merger - and they are all sweating bullets and surviving on Adderall, Provigil and cocaine right now to get this done.

How can an announcement need refinement. :rolleyes:

See above.

Reactions: BLKTSLA
To me, it sounds like they will do a live demonstration of Autopilot 2.0/Tesla Vision. Maybe the car will drive itself around the block. The software to enable that is still under development but they want to demonstrate now what the car will eventually be able to do after software updates. That's what happened with Autopilot 1.0.

But why do they need 2 more days? The development of the software would take many months. If it's not ready now, it won't be ready in two days. My best guess is, for demo purposes, they won't use the main software. Instead, they are writing a simple demo software that tells the car what to do on this specific test track. They are refining that.

If Tesla is training/tweaking a neural network that needs to interpret data from even more cameras and radars, and they have also sped up development of AP 2.0 compared to whatever internal schedule existed before, then "a few days" of "refinement" makes perfect sense - perhaps running more corner cases, difficult road/traffic scenarios etc. If you have a more likely idea of what refinement is referring to let us know.

I don't understand you. How can more time be needed for "running more corner cases, difficult road/traffic scenarios etc." -- do you expect them to show the vehicle on the road driving during the announcement? I don't.

I'm going with "refinement" meaning they are ironing out the software for AP 2.0/Tesla Vision before they demo it. I would not be surprised if Elon has aggressively whipped his team to speed up AP 2.0 by a couple months - in order to juice orders more, increase confidence in the company and help push through the Solar City merger - and they are all sweating bullets and surviving on Adderall, Provigil and cocaine right now to get this done.

The software won't be available until the cars roll off the line with the hardware so I don't get why they need more time to iron out the software. When AP1.0 came out in Sept 2014 it took over a year, until Oct 2015, for the software. I can't see that happening again, but at the same time I don't see how they can need a couple more days for the software when no car actually needs it.

I'm sticking with the announcement itself needing refinement but I see some articles don't interpret it that way:

But on Sunday, he said on Twitter that he was now pushing back the unveiling to Wednesday because the product still needs a "few more days of refinement."

But his actual tweet doesn't say that:

Elon Musk on Twitter

Then again, it might not even have to do with AP2.0 which makes all of this speculation for the reason for the delay moot.