Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unveiling on Oct 17th

What's your best bet on what Tesla will reveal on Oct 17th?

• Autopilot 2.0

Votes: 233 36.4%
  • Model 3 - Part 2 (better-looking face, Head up display driving w/o wheel etc)

Votes: 65 10.2%
  • Non-performance 100D (world's longest range EV)

Votes: 100 15.6%
  • 65 kwh/ 80 kwh battery for Model S/X (60/75 will be removed)

Votes: 11 1.7%
  • Model Y (small SUV)

Votes: 72 11.3%
  • Tesla Semi

Votes: 15 2.3%
  • Tesla Bus

Votes: 12 1.9%
  • Tesla Pick-up truck

Votes: 11 1.7%
  • Faster/better supercharger (200 kw charging, or charging snake)

Votes: 52 8.1%
  • Iron Man metal suit

Votes: 69 10.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I totally agree. If you spend any time with AP1.0 it becomes abundantly clear that it is sensor limited. Almost every time I abort AP it is because it clearly isn't aware of something that I can see.

Germany is criticizing current auto-lane-changing because 16-foot range of ultrasonic cannot detect a speeding car from far behind.

With this new hardware, it can see 250 meters or 820 feet 360 degrees which is better than a LIDAR range.

my 60d due for delivery in December says DA02 in the source code, does that mean they will still manufacture the old AP1 for existing orders or with that be changed... I cant imagine they would want their assembly line having to deal with two different installations, Im assuming they will have to change our AP1 to AP2 since Elon said they are already installing AP2 as of today?

They might offer an upgrade to future orders for incremental pricing. All they are committed to is what was on the sheet at the time the order was placed.

Or they may upgrade for free.

Probably know in a week.

D
my 60d due for delivery in December says DA02 in the source code, does that mean they will still manufacture the old AP1 for existing orders or with that be changed... I cant imagine they would want their assembly line having to deal with two different installations, Im assuming they will have to change our AP1 to AP2 since Elon said they are already installing AP2 as of today?
Very good question. He did say all cars being manufactured now have the new hardware, but now you have me worried. That's a big price increase.

• Informative
Reactions: Tam
In reading a lot of these posts I think that some people are really misunderstanding the point of this announcement and how Tesla/Elon plans to reach Level 5 autonomy. The reason this had to be announced right as the hardware was being installed is due to the large cost of the new hardware. This not only includes the additional cameras and sensors but the brand new computer (NVIDIA Titan GPU) that has 40x the compute power. This new computer and hardware is the key to why Tesla is going to temporarily limit the amount of autonomy of the car for the first few months before they begin the software rollouts to add what AP1 and 2 provided and then to add additional features.

The key to all of this is what Tesla is calling “shadow mode,” essentially working virtually behind the scenes in order to demonstrate where it would’ve been able to avoid accidents that a person driving could not. This will allow Tesla to “further calibrate the system using millions of miles of real-world driving” This Shadow mode is what is going to give Tesla the necessary information to provide the government to gain legislation to unlock full autonomy for these vehicles. Which Elon believes will happen in 2018.

So to me if I was about to pick up a MS or MX I would cancel the order if my car did not have this hardware installed for the simple reason that while I may not have AP2 for a few months in say 6 months time you may have way more features than AP2 while furthering your ability to have full autonomy in a couple of years.

You have to figure at minimum even if legislation is not passed, there is nothing stopping Tesla from enabling features that make the car close to fully autonomous without putting the label on it until it is passed by legislation. Or to say it another way you will have the most advanced autopilot allowed on the road.

If it hasn't been built yet then I would think they would update the listed options. I'm assuming they'll be doing the same for my late November/early December delivery. I reached out to my DS and am waiting to hear back. Since they never sourced parts, put it into production, etc., all they have to do is issue me a new VIN or change the options for the old one.

Last edited:
I won't pay $8000 or whatever for autonomous driving in my Model 3 because I know I wouldn't use it often. Oh sure, it might be neat to mess around with for a while, but not if it costs $8000.

Plus I am a bit of a leadfoot, and it wouldn't drive the car how I want, so I'd be doing most of the driving anyhow.

I don't know how much the sensors cost, but I think that Tesla should only run the wiring and not include the sensors themselves. Then if someone upgrades to the autopilot, they can go to a Tesla store to have them put in. Tesla doesn't spend the extra money on unused sensors. Tesla saves money.

Just like these upgradeable batteries, it makes no sense to me for Tesla to spend the money on the extra parts and they aren't being used. A Tesla service center can swap in a bigger battery pack easily.

...I could enjoy AP1 now and pay the upgrade fee next year to get AP2 and still come out ahead. It will be interesting to see how this shakes out...

"Because of the complexity of the equipment, it won't be possible for owners of older cars to have their vehicles upgraded with all the new cameras and sensors. Full self-driving will only be available to owners of new Model S, Model X and, eventually, Model 3 cars.

"Upgrading cars is not realistic," Musk said. "It's like giving cars a spinal cord transplant."

Im a little behind in what L5 means. Does this mean it can navigate things like 4 ways stops and crowded pedestrian crossings? Aka can it handle Times Square?

L5 means if it is legal in your country, state, city there doesn't even have to be a human in the car.

Won't happen for years, but if the hardware, software, and laws all agree that L5 is allowed it would mean the car would be a better driver than almost everyone you know.

While that sounds cool I don't want my new car arriving with 3000 miles on it

How about if it rides a carrier to the nearest metropolis and then drives 300 miles or less to you?

As in if you live in Manhattan, they ship it from California to New York and it drives to the parking garage of your choice or picks you up on the side of the road as you are leaving work.

As in if you live in Crossville, TN they ship it to Nashville and let it drive the 80 miles or so to your house.

Most people live less than 300 miles from some sort of metro area.

This is a question to any one who have already ordered their car and paid 2500 dollars for autopilot and car has yet to be made.

Will we have to pay more like 4000 dollars more for the add on for full autonomous driving? If anyone gets a response, please let us know. I am sure there are a few of us in the same boat. Thanks!

In reading a lot of these posts I think that some people are really misunderstanding the point of this announcement and how Tesla/Elon plans to reach Level 5 autonomy. The reason this had to be announced right as the hardware was being installed is due to the large cost of the new hardware. This not only includes the additional cameras and sensors but the brand new computer (NVIDIA Titan GPU) that has 40x the compute power. This new computer and hardware is the key to why Tesla is going to temporarily limit the amount of autonomy of the car for the first few months before they begin the software rollouts to add what AP1 and 2 provided and then to add additional features.

The key to all of this is what Tesla is calling “shadow mode,” essentially working virtually behind the scenes in order to demonstrate where it would’ve been able to avoid accidents that a person driving could not. This will allow Tesla to “further calibrate the system using millions of miles of real-world driving” This Shadow mode is what is going to give Tesla the necessary information to provide the government to gain legislation to unlock full autonomy for these vehicles. Which Elon believes will happen in 2018.

So to me if I was about to pick up a MS or MX I would cancel the order if my car did not have this hardware installed for the simple reason that while I may not have AP2 for a few months in say 6 months time you may have way more features than AP2 while furthering your ability to have full autonomy in a couple of years.

You have to figure at minimum even if legislation is not passed, there is nothing stopping Tesla from enabling features that make the car close to fully autonomous without putting the label on it until it is passed by legislation. Or to say it another way you will have the most advanced autopilot allowed on the road.

Where did you find the info about the Titan GPU ?

Edit: nvm, got it :)