Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unveiling on Oct 17th

What's your best bet on what Tesla will reveal on Oct 17th?

• Autopilot 2.0

Votes: 233 36.4%
  • Model 3 - Part 2 (better-looking face, Head up display driving w/o wheel etc)

Votes: 65 10.2%
  • Non-performance 100D (world's longest range EV)

Votes: 100 15.6%
  • 65 kwh/ 80 kwh battery for Model S/X (60/75 will be removed)

Votes: 11 1.7%
  • Model Y (small SUV)

Votes: 72 11.3%
  • Tesla Semi

Votes: 15 2.3%
  • Tesla Bus

Votes: 12 1.9%
  • Tesla Pick-up truck

Votes: 11 1.7%
  • Faster/better supercharger (200 kw charging, or charging snake)

Votes: 52 8.1%
  • Iron Man metal suit

Votes: 69 10.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the tell-tale sign for this unveiling is the lack of advanced notice and (thus far) lack of invitations.

If this were the Model 3 part 2 or Model Y, then owners and press would have been invited to an auditorium-style unveiling. If this is a conference call or press release, it's likely to be something much less impactful.

AP 2.0 hardware would fit the timeframe, as Musk had previously said that he was planning on doing another Tesla event "by the end of the year", but I would have expected that describing the technology that would eventually take Tesla vehicles all the way up to L4 autonomy would have deserved a proper auditorium-style unveiling.

There are too many possibilities to guess, but I think it's unlikely that whatever it is is listed in this poll..

Reactions: mrdoubleb
How about the formation of a QA/QC team at the factory to reduce such issues? o_O One would assume there is already such a team/group, but with some of the items being routinely found on newly delivered S/X models, I seriously wonder at times. Of course this probably wouldn't be considered a product, but it might fall into the unexpected... :confused:

I think the tell-tale sign for this unveiling is the lack of advanced notice and (thus far) lack of invitations.

If this were the Model 3 part 2 or Model Y, then owners and press would have been invited to an auditorium-style unveiling. If this is a conference call or press release, it's likely to be something much less impactful.

AP 2.0 hardware would fit the timeframe, as Musk had previously said that he was planning on doing another Tesla event "by the end of the year", but I would have expected that describing the technology that would eventually take Tesla vehicles all the way up to L4 autonomy would have deserved a proper auditorium-style unveiling.

There are too many possibilities to guess, but I think it's unlikely that whatever it is is listed in this poll..
Deleted my new comment as you beat me to it on both accounts, so I would just add one more note: would Elon have referred to AP 2.0 HW as "unexpected by most"? That piece of technology is probably the worst kept secret (?) Tesla has. That just doesn't add up.

Well, I think we can rule out most of the usual suspects if we take the wording at face value.
AP2. More of a feature than a product, and not unexpected.
Model 3 part 2. The product has already been unveiled and is not unexpected.
Model Y. More sensible to announce at Model 3 part two, too big for such short notice, and not unexpected.
Bus, Truck, new Roadster. Probably too big for such short notice unless it's not a full unveiling.
Electric bike. Maybe, but still feels like it would get an event.
Updates to existing car models tend to just happen without any prior warning so I doubt that, plus not a new product.

That really only leaves some sort of new charging. I doubt it would be a new pay model for supercharging since they are still a year away from any vehicle needing it. I also doubt it will be a multi manufacturer supercharger network since I would expect something that big to leak.

That leaves some sort of home charging product like wireless. I think that will be my guess. All new X,S and upcoming 3 models will be shipping with built in wireless charging capabilities and the house side hardware will be a bundleable option or a slightly more expensive standalone product.

AP2 seems to obvious to be "unexpected by most." I agree with others that Model 3 part 2 will be more in line with Pt. 1 -- a big event with press and customer invites. Thus, 100D gets my vote. I think the initial thought was that wouldn't be revealed until next year, so I think that fits with the criteria of "product," "unexpected by most" and also worthy of a short-notice announcement.

Reactions: SCW-Greg and KJD
.... Thus, 100D gets my vote. I think the initial thought was that wouldn't be revealed until next year, so I think that fits with the criteria of "product," "unexpected by most" and also worthy of a short-notice announcement.
I voted for Model Y (Hatchback or wagon) version of the model 3, however the 100D would also be great to see.

That would motivate me to start planning for replacing the classic 85 sooner rather than later.

He also said "Product".
What is with people so they can't understand what a "PRODUCT" and "UNEXPECTED BY MOST" means?

AP20 is not a product nor unexpected. Model Y is a product but not unexpected.

I say it is a "TopDogTesla annual subscription". For only $100k per year one gets free new top of the line tesla as soon it is realeased. One can also switch betwen top of the line X and top of the line S with no extra charge once every 6 months.

It may also be a wireless home charger.
Maybe he meant the event was unexpected by most, and not that the product was unexpected by most.

My bet is that Tesla is teaming up with a major bus manufacturer to build full size electric buses. The "product" announced will be drive train, battery, and associated electronics packaged for sale to any major bus manufacturer.

That was my guess too, also because of Musk's Master Plan2.
To broaden the scope, widen the business. Here's why (simplified):

modes%2Bcompared.jpg

What went under the radar to most, is the extraordinary move of Ford to buy the SF-based shuttle line service Chariot.
So, I left the name Chariot in there...

I am expecting Tesla to announce a new HPWC, that instead of being powered by your AC grid power, is directly powered via your DC solar panels/PowerWalls. It is thus more efficient (i.e. Reduces your overall electric by usage by 8% or so), AND if you have a big solar array, you can charge your car at Chademo speeds (like up to 50 kW). So a home Supercharger if you like.

However, I was expecting this announcement to get folded into the Oct 28 SCTY product announcement. But I'll just leave this idea here as a marker...