Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unveiling on Oct 17th

What's your best bet on what Tesla will reveal on Oct 17th?

• Autopilot 2.0

Votes: 233 36.4%
  • Model 3 - Part 2 (better-looking face, Head up display driving w/o wheel etc)

Votes: 65 10.2%
  • Non-performance 100D (world's longest range EV)

Votes: 100 15.6%
  • 65 kwh/ 80 kwh battery for Model S/X (60/75 will be removed)

Votes: 11 1.7%
  • Model Y (small SUV)

Votes: 72 11.3%
  • Tesla Semi

Votes: 15 2.3%
  • Tesla Bus

Votes: 12 1.9%
  • Tesla Pick-up truck

Votes: 11 1.7%
  • Faster/better supercharger (200 kw charging, or charging snake)

Votes: 52 8.1%
  • Iron Man metal suit

Votes: 69 10.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's debatable whether he meant the announcement topic is unexpected or the timing of the announcement is unexpected. An updated Autopilot is very much unexpected with all the buzz around 8.0 on existing hardware.
Not debatable to me. Elon was clearly saying there will be a new product announcement.

Is it possible to add Aluminum-Air dual battery and New tire techonology to the list? These are new products, unexpected by most and inline with Tesla's mission to make the planet a better place.

For the dual-battery, there were numerous posts on dual battery testing and Tesla filed a patent a long time ago (just look around in this forum you'll find it).

For the new tires, please see this : Tesla selects Hankook Tire as main supplier for Model 3 tires
and this which dates back to 2012 :
plus look around on Hankook's website.
Sum all of that with the fact that Musk mentioned that Tesla will have to do partnerships in the future to succeed and we have an "unexpected by most" new product possibility. Tires are still filling landfills even if we do our best to recycle them and one thing that every mildly passionate Tesla driver knows is that we go through more tires than we used to ;) ...

Anyway, these were my two add-ons to the poll please. Can't wait for Monday!!

Tesla product unveiling on the 17th (unexpected by most), followed by Tesla/SolarCity on the 28th
Disagree. He didn't say new. And he didn't say announcement. He said product, and unveiling. No?
In my opinion, "product unveiling" means announcing a new product. He sure isn't going to "unveil" an existing product; no one would care and it would be a waste of his time. In addition, since this "product" is "unexpected by most" that only emphasizes that it is new to the general public.

To review the list shown in the poll related to this thread: AP 2.0 is widely expected. So that won't be it. Bigger batteries are always expected, so that won't be it. Future Tesla vehicles as described in the Master Plan Part Deux (Y, Semi, etc.) are expected, so that won't be it. A non-Performance 100D version is not worth a special "unveil", that's a minor change. If it's a Supercharger-related improvement it would have to be a huge improvement to merit a special announcement, so I think that is unlikely at this point.

Something Model 3 related seems possible, perhaps this Tesla is about to increase its lead in semi-autonomous driving w/ ‘Tesla Vision’: computer vision based on NVIDIA’s parallel computing

It may be something that is not on the poll list. Perhaps a Tesla Glass related product, like user controllable electrochromatic windows.

In my opinion, "product unveiling" means announcing a new product. He sure isn't going to "unveil" an existing product; no one would care and it would be a waste of his time. In addition, since this "product" is "unexpected by most" that only emphasizes that it is new to the general public.

To review the list shown in the poll related to this thread: AP 2.0 is widely expected. So that won't be it. Bigger batteries are always expected, so that won't be it. Future Tesla vehicles as described in the Master Plan Part Deux (Y, Semi, etc.) are expected, so that won't be it. A non-Performance 100D version is not worth a special "unveil", that's a minor change. If it's a Supercharger-related improvement it would have to be a huge improvement to merit a special announcement, so I think that is unlikely at this point.

Something Model 3 related seems possible, perhaps this Tesla is about to increase its lead in semi-autonomous driving w/ ‘Tesla Vision’: computer vision based on NVIDIA’s parallel computing

It may be something that is not on the poll list. Perhaps a Tesla Glass related product, like user controllable electrochromatic windows.
I think that people who spend a lot of time on this forum do not belong to most. So just because you expect AP 2.0 is not the same as it will not be the product to be unveiled on Monday.

Interesting video ... the EV tire is brilliant :cool:

upload_2016-10-15_10-13-17.png

upload_2016-10-15_10-17-51.png

For the new tires, please see this : Tesla selects Hankook Tire as main supplier for Model 3 tires
and this which dates back to 2012 : plus look around on Hankook's website.

Sum all of that with the fact that Musk mentioned that Tesla will have to do partnerships in the future to succeed and we have an "unexpected by most" new product possibility. Tires are still filling landfills even if we do our best to recycle them and one thing that every mildly passionate Tesla driver knows is that we go through more tires than we used to ;) ...

Anyway, these were my two add-ons to the poll please. Can't wait for Monday!!

The more I read up on the idea and possibilities of a Tesla Financing/Insurance product the more I'm leaning towards that. It's kind of unexpected, and could provide a solid revenue stream moving forward.

It's not sexy, but it makes sense, especially with Solar City's expertise in financing products.

The more I read up on the idea and possibilities of a Tesla Financing/Insurance product the more I'm leaning towards that. It's kind of unexpected, and could provide a solid revenue stream moving forward.

It's not sexy, but it makes sense, especially with Solar City's expertise in financing products.

Financing might be a little capital intensive. That might not be workable right now. Insurance would be my guess, and a step towards insuring their own autonomous cars in the (near?) future. I would think insuring their own cars, or an insurance partnership, would be required anytime the car is driving itself.