Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unveiling on Oct 17th

What's your best bet on what Tesla will reveal on Oct 17th?

• Autopilot 2.0

Votes: 233 36.4%
  • Model 3 - Part 2 (better-looking face, Head up display driving w/o wheel etc)

Votes: 65 10.2%
  • Non-performance 100D (world's longest range EV)

Votes: 100 15.6%
  • 65 kwh/ 80 kwh battery for Model S/X (60/75 will be removed)

Votes: 11 1.7%
  • Model Y (small SUV)

Votes: 72 11.3%
  • Tesla Semi

Votes: 15 2.3%
  • Tesla Bus

Votes: 12 1.9%
  • Tesla Pick-up truck

Votes: 11 1.7%
  • Faster/better supercharger (200 kw charging, or charging snake)

Votes: 52 8.1%
  • Iron Man metal suit

Votes: 69 10.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla can't sell cars in all states yet. Do you think regulatory approval for self driving cars will happen any time soon? This will create a backlash for selling something they have no real timeline to actually produce or allow the driver to use legally. What a mess!

Im a little behind in what L5 means. Does this mean it can navigate things like 4 ways stops and crowded pedestrian crossings? Aka can it handle Times Square?

Theoretically it can handle anything. Elon wants people to let their cars go off and be rented by people.

I thought level 5 autonomy would be an option only for the second generation of the 3, and that's clearly not the case.

It's clearly the goal with this release.

I'm worried about intersections though. The side forward cameras can see 60m, so if there's a car driving at 35mph on a regular road that you're turning on to, you only see it when its 60m away. 4 seconds before it hits you. I guess it could start the merge and then if it sees a car could accelerate hugely to get up to speed.

We also have some higher speed roads with T intersections... so I'd think if the car could safely request a driver to take over at those points it would be great, but that wouldn't be level 5 autonomy.

So the affordable $35,000 Model 3 is now potentially $43,000 before adding any additional features. I wonder what percentage of Model 3 buyers will opt out of this extra $8,000 when configure their vehicles.

If it is Level 5, the option of being in the Tesla Rental fleet might come with the incentive of a free $8k self-drive upgrade.

Tesla can't sell cars in all states yet. Do you think regulatory approval for self driving cars will happen any time soon?

Mixing apples and oranges. The legal issues have no relation at all.

This will create a backlash for selling something they have no real timeline to actually produce or allow the driver to use legally. What a mess!

It's called progress. There's no mess. Without pushing the boundaries, you get nowhere.

What is automatic charge connection and how do you know if your car has it?

How:
1) Pricing! If you pay $8,000 when you ordered Autopilot + Self-driving option.
2) Activation. You don't know until the software allows an option for Supercharger automatic connection. By the way, there's no report of any Automatic Connection Supercharger as of today, so it's still in future.

What:
You stop and get out of the car at the front door of a hotel where there's a Supercharger station that is a walking distance away in the back. You then choose an option on your phone for your car to autonomously go to a nearest Supercharger and get in line with the other 11 waiting cars in front, then it will get into an available bay and auto-connect itself to charge then get back to an available parking space in front.

Last edited:
Reactions: bredi
How:
1) Pricing! If you pay $8,000 when you ordered Autopilot + Self-driving option.
2) Activation. You don't know until the software allows an option for Supercharger automatic connection. By the way, there's no report of any Automatic Connection Supercharger as of today, so it's still in future.

What:
You stop and get out of the car at the front door of a hotel where there's a Supercharger station that is a walking distance away in the back. You then choose an option on your phone for your car to autonomously go to a nearest Supercharger and to auto-connect itself to charge then get back to an available parking space in front.

Ah, so it's one of the new pieces. I didn't realize that from the post I read.

Ah, so it's one of the new pieces. I didn't realize that from the post I read.

Driverless Supercharging will be incrementally released.

First, you will bypass traffic laws by only performing the function in a private property.
When you do it, you'll have to supervise the system to make sure it works flawlessly.
Once, Tesla has gotten enough validated trials, you don't need to supervise the autonomous Supercharging in a private property... and so on...

So, this function should be envisioned pretty soon like 2018 or earlier!

More details of the press conference call:

http://jalopnik.com/every-tesla-will-now-come-with-fully-autonomous-hardwar-1787999213

SAE Level 5 fully-autonomous capability by the end of 2017 (to drive driverlessly cross country from Los Angeles to New York.)

"
Tesla would take responsibility for any incident involving a failure of Tesla’s systems, but the company would not be blindly taking responsibility for all incidents like other companies including Volvo, Mercedes and Google have offered.

“It’s up to your insurance,” Musk said."

"The long-term goal for the new hardware is a ten-fold improvement in safety, but on launch it should be twice as safe as the human alternative. It was also made clear that Tesla would not set a firm release date until it collects enough data. The company will be collecting information from the new hardware in its cars going forward in “shadow mode,” and will still need government approval before anybody goes cross-country completely autonomous."

To suggest that it will be "3, 4 or 5 years from now" before AP2.0 pulls away from AP1.0 makes no sense. It's going to be substantially better right out of the gate -- it can see twice as far and in every direction -- and only get better and better from there with each new update.

I totally agree. If you spend any time with AP1.0 it becomes abundantly clear that it is sensor limited. Almost every time I abort AP it is because it clearly isn't aware of something that I can see.

my 60d due for delivery in December says DA02 in the source code, does that mean they will still manufacture the old AP1 for existing orders or with that be changed... I cant imagine they would want their assembly line having to deal with two different installations, Im assuming they will have to change our AP1 to AP2 since Elon said they are already installing AP2 as of today?