Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unwarranted Emergency Braking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was on cruise control on a neighborhood street at 25 MPH when my 2019 Model 3 did an emergency brake for no apparent reason. There were no obstacles and no other traffic anywhere in the vicinity. Anyone else experience this?

Any chance this is associated with the traffic control option? It never happened in the six months I've had the car before the option was available. This emergency braking really upset my passenger, who was already nervous because the car's response to traffic control was so choppy, causing the car to accelerate and slow like a very old person who isn't sure where they are going. I had to stop using cruise control when she's in the car.

Thanks in advance for any shared experiences!

Same thing happened last week at 35 mph. But it happened only one time, and fortunately, no one was behind me. When I went back through the same section, I couldn't replicate it.

I chalked it up to an AI hiccup. If it happens again, I'll become more concerned.

I was on cruise control on a neighborhood street at 25 MPH when my 2019 Model 3 did an emergency brake for no apparent reason. There were no obstacles and no other traffic anywhere in the vicinity. Anyone else experience this?

Any chance this is associated with the traffic control option? It never happened in the six months I've had the car before the option was available. This emergency braking really upset my passenger, who was already nervous because the car's response to traffic control was so choppy, causing the car to accelerate and slow like a very old person who isn't sure where they are going. I had to stop using cruise control when she's in the car.

You have FSD I take it? You mention "cruise control" which in tesla parlance does not have any "navigate on city streets" option.

Yes, it's a thing that happens. Shadows on the road ? Trees overhead ? Additional markings on or near the edge of the road ? People walking nearby ? Tesla cars brake for many reasons that no human would. You should be able to cancel it by quickly pressing the accelerator slightly with minimal inconvenience to yourself or passengers.

When I saw the headline of your post, I figured you must be 'new around these parts'. Hint: Tesla has been phantom breaking for a loooong time. (you can find numerous threads on the topic on tmc.)

Shadows on the road ? Trees overhead ? Additional markings on or near the edge of the road ? People walking nearby ?

Don't' forget sunspots, solar flares, and Mercury rising. :cool:

But seriously, it's generally happened to me with shadows on the road, such as an overpass. Most recently it was a large oak tree on the side of the highway during late afternoon, so the tree cast a long shadow across teh road. The only saving grace was that an a-hole had been on my tail for several miles, so when he saw might brake lights, he had to lock his up. Just as he started to skid, I got command and hit my accelerator. (It was a two-lane highway thru a mountain pass, so no place to pull over or passing allowed.)

Reactions: afadeev
VERY DANGEROUS
I was on motorway with cruise control 70mph and on a slight bend of M62 my model3 suddenly applied an emergency break. HELL. All the passengers in the car got shocked while I got to my senses and put my feet on accelerator which cancelled the cruise control. I was very lucky to not have any other cars or traffic behind me otherwise it was an accident.
I don't know how to report this issue to Tesla.
I have stopped using cruise control since then. Any help is highly appreciated to help.me gain confidence with cruise control. Thanks

VERY DANGEROUS
I was on motorway with cruise control 70mph and on a slight bend of M62 my model3 suddenly applied an emergency break. HELL. All the passengers in the car got shocked while I got to my senses and put my feet on accelerator which cancelled the cruise control. I was very lucky to not have any other cars or traffic behind me otherwise it was an accident.
I don't know how to report this issue to Tesla.
I have stopped using cruise control since then. Any help is highly appreciated to help.me gain confidence with cruise control. Thanks

similar thing happened to me. Now I only use AP when roads are quiet. It’s just too unpredictable and requires more attention than if I was just driving myself

Phantom braking ("Automatic Emergency Braking") has happened several times to us now on our local roads. Usually it happens when cresting a hill at the same time as an opposing car (no, not in our lane). Once or twice a sharp transition between bright sun and dark shadow has done it.

Apparently even if you turn it off, it comes back on automatically next time you drive.
And maybe we're driving too fast on these roads with cruise control. Auto Steer refuses to activate at the speed I usually travel.

Its a new M3LR, and we're getting used to it; the people behind us maybe not.

Yes… This just happened particularly dramatically to me in my Tesla Y. I was driving along the street and a car had his nose out a little bit farther than usual from the right at an intersection where my road curved slightly to the left. Apparently my Tesla assumed that I was going to continue straight rather than follow the curve of the road. My car aggressively braked and swerved completely unnecessarily.

I wonder if the problem was accentuated by the absence of a white side line at the intersection… Which brings up another problem experience with the autonomous steering. Anytime the white line disappears (as at and entering lane at an intersection while on the freeway) the car wants to steer over to the white line rather than staying in line.

This car is a hell of a long way from autonomous driving. Acts like AS (autonomous stupidity) rather than AI.