Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upcoming FW upgrade to "positively impact" essentially the entire fleet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A few thoughts regarding things that would affect the entire fleet:

1) As I posted last evening in the CarPlay thread, Apple just released iOS 8.3 beta:

Apple Seeds First iOS 8.3 Beta to Developers With Wireless CarPlay, New Emoji Picker, Apple Pay for China - Mac Rumors

The relevance here is that for the first time CarPlay will support Bluetooth connectivity, previously it required a wired connection which was inelegant IMO. Enabling navigation by one's smartphone, iOS or Android, would allow non-tech vehicles to have navigation thrown up on the center display.

2) The ability to push a planned route from the app or from the web to the car directly so the route is ready to go when you get in the car

3) The ability to use a high-capacity USB stick in one of the USB ports as an (admittedly slow) external drive for the main console system, e.g., to cache maps and permit third-party apps (assuming they publish an API and allow them) to cache their own data, especially when one is on a WiFi connection at home.

4) Better phone integration, i.e., 'favorites' and even having pictures from contacts appear on the screen when making calls

Asian cars (China, HK, Japan) don't have voice commands, no navigation, no range-aware nav, no smart air conditioning, no TPMS, no Slacker, very poor Japanese input so map is not searchable, etc.
Hope Tesla puts more focus on internationalization so we non-US owners can recommend Tesla to more people, and Elon's firmware update will positively affects us as well.

Hong Kong cars have voice commands, smart pre-conditioning and the standard TPMS.

New autopilot features - I am guessing self-parking and blind-spot awareness, which would put the MS more or less at feature parity with the competiton

For the whole fleet - apps, valet mode, top speed increase, torque sleep, eco mode (limits max power output with "kick down" as override), more nav improvements including waypoints and recommended charging stops, web interface in My Tesla for those of us who do not have android or apple phones, offline trip planning using the app/web interface, refreshed UI and passenger seat memory function.

New autopilot features - I am guessing self-parking and blind-spot awareness, which would put the MS more or less at feature parity with the competiton

For the whole fleet - apps, valet mode, top speed increase, torque sleep, eco mode (limits max power output with "kick down" as override), more nav improvements including waypoints and recommended charging stops, web interface in My Tesla for those of us who do not have android or apple phones, offline trip planning using the app/web interface, refreshed UI and passenger seat memory function.

How the heck do you put torque sleep on a RWD car with one motor? I see the rest of the wishlist items as a definite possibility. I think that the UI is somewhat dated and due for a general overhaul.

Batteries that can power your home.
Great if you are on time of day pricing but for large group on fixed rate, what does this offer?

- - - Updated - - -

I imagine it might be something like only powering the motor (say) 75% of the time when not accelerating, probably between a min speed and a max speed so that the car doesn't feel like it is stuttering.
Really interesting to see if this can be done without annoying speed variations. Maybe a redo of cruise control which minimizes kW used to maintain constant speed?

Maybe, just maybe, the software update will allow bidirectional power. Meaning, that with the correct inverter, the car can run the electrics in the house. Chedemo cars usually can do this, creating a backup power source for emergencies. After Fokushima, this was a great selling point for electric cars in Japan.

Great if you are on time of day pricing but for large group on fixed rate, what does this offer?

Backup power supply.

If Tesla had this available today inside South Africa, they'll sell 30'000 Model S's per year in that market alone.

(South Africa has a 2 hour almost-daily rolling blackout, and will likely have that for the next year or two. Good time to be a solar / backup generator installer!)

Even in Seattle, I would love to have a backup power source, considering out history of epic week-long power failures. I would be happy to pay another $2500 for this capability, and it would be my catalyst for a quicker upgrade, more than any other feature.

My 2 cent's worth:

I do not think we will necessarily see anything radically new, at least for the whole fleet. I think there are still MANY undelivered features and featurettes in the core functionality, especially navigation. For example:

1) Via points
2) Alternative routes (like Google)
3) Auto-supercharger routing
4) Integration with PlugShare, including auto routing when you are low on charge.
5) More refinement in the Media app: playlists; wired access from iPhone; CarPlay, etc.

Also for the app:
5) Trip energy prediction integration/display
6) Navigation set-up from the app
7) Change charge current from app

Maybe, just maybe, the software update will allow bidirectional power. Meaning, that with the correct inverter, the car can run the electrics in the house. Chedemo cars usually can do this, creating a backup power source for emergencies. After Fokushima, this was a great selling point for electric cars in Japan.

Not going to happen. Doing this could void the vehicle warranty. Under "Exclusions and Limitations," "Using the vehicle as a stationary power source;"
I've seen it suggested many times, but Tesla obviously does not want this.

My guess is video playback support. Being able to play a MP4 or other video file off of the USB drive while in Park. This is my guess because with 6.1, they revamped the backup camera to be software based, not video overlay. So I would imagine it's a pretty easy step now to add video playback support after adding all that additional code. Video playback in the web browser would be great too, but I doubt that due to the 3G connection and the increase in bandwidth required. Maybe allow it if it's using a WiFi connection though. One can always hope! :smile:

As much as I would like to see additional GPS features, I doubt it's that due to many not having the tech package and they said it would be for everyone. I guess we'll find out in 3-12 months. LOL

Not going to happen. Doing this could void the vehicle warranty. Under "Exclusions and Limitations," "Using the vehicle as a stationary power source;"
I've seen it suggested many times, but Tesla obviously does not want this.
If Tesla keeps offering free supercharging it's going to be a problem to have V2H (vehicle to home) service. There are many people taking advantage of free Nissan chargers and V2H in Japan, bringing back free electricity every week.

Hi, Lerxt, thanks for correcting me. Does your smart air conditioning work? I was told if no navigation, no smart air conditioning.

Anyway Tesla need to focus on more basic things like nav, rather than more advanced features.

I work irregular hours so I don't use the smart airconditioning. There is not navigation yet but they are promising it Q1 this year....

Echoing others sentiments, I would love to be able to use my Model S as a backup power source in case of a multi-day power outage, however I seriously doubt that this would be included in the FW upgrade Elon mentioned.