Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upcoming FW upgrade to "positively impact" essentially the entire fleet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If Tesla keeps offering free supercharging it's going to be a problem to have V2H (vehicle to home) service. There are many people taking advantage of free Nissan chargers and V2H in Japan, bringing back free electricity every week.

A solution to this is next time you go to a supercharger charge the cost of electricity that you are replacing for being exported from the car previously since the last time you fully paid or in other words simply to charge you at the supercharger for any amount of electricity that you used in the house from the supercharger. I guess it should track which electricity you use for the house from the supercharger so you pay for it next time. This is simple software and accounting.

A solution to this is next time you go to a supercharger charge the cost of electricity that you are replacing for being exported from the car previously since the last time you fully paid or in other words simply to charge you at the supercharger for any amount of electricity that you used in the house from the supercharger. I guess it should track which electricity you use for the house from the supercharger so you pay for it next time. This is simple software and accounting.

Not so easy!!!!! I currently charge at home every night. 99% of my charging is pouring my own (solar generated!) electricity into the battery. If I were to use 2 way battery as a power source, and Tesla were to log that use and charge me for that much current next time I supercharge... that would be totally unfair! What I used to power my house was my own. So, Tesla would need some algorithm to judge how much power taken from the battery was from a Supercharger. Seems thorny to me!

Plus, think about all of the other liability issues... Tesla already has VERY tight controls on current variability for charging (see a number of frustrated threads on this forum). They do that to avoid any implied culpability for damage caused by owner's sub-standard home wiring. They would have to be equally careful sending power the other direction. Not to mention additional battery cycles, and people carping about degradation.

I can understand how you can do this with a Leaf... the battery is much less valuable, and the company has huge balance sheet to offset any issues. I can also understand why Tesla may never provide this capability.

Lot's of talk about Apple buying Tesla. Apple (according to Yahoo) has about 1,000 folks working on car development.

I doubt Apple is working on a car. Apple would be entering a business where the margins are so much lower and the product update cycle is much slower. However, nothing would further Elon's goal of sustainable transport more than Apple buying Tesla. That would all but ensure Tesla's long term success.

I doubt Apple is working on a car. Apple would be entering a business where the margins are so much lower and the product update cycle is much slower. However, nothing would further Elon's goal of sustainable transport more than Apple buying Tesla. That would all but ensure Tesla's long term success.

Who knows if they are working on a car?!? But I wouldn't dismiss reasonable probability. Apple has huge brand equity for consumer products. They have a huge capitalization that demands growth. There are 4 ways to grow: product line expansion, geographic expansion, increase market share, increase market size. I think they have to pursue product line expansion. Many of us get on this forum regularly and post how stupid the ICE manufacturers are for not jumping on the BEV bandwagon. Well, if you are sitting there with a ton of brand equity, a ton of cash, and a hungry capitalization - you might just say: "hey, look at what these guys (tesla) are doing, BEV is clearly superior once volume/charging thresholds hit, the other guys are too entrenched to jump in, looks like there's room in the pool for two! And, oh by the way, the other player will share their patents with us, reducing our cost/time to market!" Not saying it's happening, but not ridiculous.

PS, sorry for straying so OT, but I was just following this other car who turned down the one way street - honestly, officer!

Who knows if they are working on a car?!? But I wouldn't dismiss reasonable probability. Apple has huge brand equity for consumer products. They have a huge capitalization that demands growth. There are 4 ways to grow: product line expansion, geographic expansion, increase market share, increase market size. I think they have to pursue product line expansion. Many of us get on this forum regularly and post how stupid the ICE manufacturers are for not jumping on the BEV bandwagon. Well, if you are sitting there with a ton of brand equity, a ton of cash, and a hungry capitalization - you might just say: "hey, look at what these guys (tesla) are doing, BEV is clearly superior once volume/charging thresholds hit, the other guys are too entrenched to jump in, looks like there's room in the pool for two! And, oh by the way, the other player will share their patents with us, reducing our cost/time to market!" Not saying it's happening, but not ridiculous.

PS, sorry for straying so OT, but I was just following this other car who turned down the one way street - honestly, officer!

Sorry to continue off-topic, but do you remember the reports last year of Musk meeting with Apple's chief of acquisitions and mergers? When asked on CNBC what the meeting was about, Musk flatly refused to comment. That's very unusual for Musk. Even when asked a forward-looking question, Musk usually tries his best to accommodate, and sometimes struggles to find the right words because he has to choose carefully. With the Apple meeting, Musk gave a very short and terse "no comment". The fact that Musk cannot even talk about it tells me it was some serious sh$t.

So with that additional data point, maybe Apple is looking at making a car after all. If they tried to acquire Tesla last year and talks broke down, or Musk wasn't biting at the Apple, maybe Apple decided to go its own way. I will say that if this is true, I fear for Tesla. Competition is generally good, yes, but not when it's Apple you are competing against. Just ask RIM, Nokia, HTC, Samsung, Motorola...

I forgot if this was mentioned in this long thread, but "essentially the entire" probably refers to superchargers. If it was valet mode, it would be all. If it was anything to do with the browser, it would be all cars.

Now it could be something that affected RWD cars only also, but that is hard to find something.

I can't think of anything else that is "essentially the entire" unless we are excluding some Signature S's that are missing some critical component. Maybe, something where you need tech package since that is probably 97+%

I'm thinking UI overhaul or SDK/APIs. Those are the things that would affect the whole fleet the most... Other than a tiny bit more top speed, better torque sleep, or more regen I don't think much else would apply to the entire fleet.
As others have noted more NAV features unfortunately won't be the entire fleet for those without the tech pkg

Does anyone have a link to where this was said?
Here you go : click here.

Quote :
Elon Musk - Chairman, Product Architect and Chief Executive Officer
And - but most of that deferral will be taken care of this quarter with the software release next month which will add a bunch more functionality to the car. Right now, I’m really excited about the software release we have planned for next month. There is a bunch of features in it that are going to positively affect entire fleet and then of course we’ll add more autopilot capability.
JB Straubel - Chief Technical Officer
That is simply exciting.
Elon Musk - Chairman, Product Architect and Chief Executive Officer
Yes, it’s going to be a really, really good release.

Does anyone have a link to where this was said?

It was established earlier that nobody has provided any source for this. There were things said which could have been misquoted to sound like "significant impact". Obviously the title of this thread should be fixed, but the OP has never done so nor responded. I think the moderator should take care of it.

Here's the Elon Musk quote from the recent earnings conference call: "Right now, I’m really excited about the software release we have planned for next month. There is a bunch of features in it that are going to positively affect entire fleet and then of course we’ll add more autopilot capability."

See here for a transcript.

I'm thinking UI overhaul or SDK/APIs. Those are the things that would affect the whole fleet the most... Other than a tiny bit more top speed, better torque sleep, or more regen I don't think much else would apply to the entire fleet.
As others have noted more NAV features unfortunately won't be the entire fleet for those without the tech pkg

That's not a feature that would impact me in the slightest near-term, and it's also not something that Musk needs to keep hush-hush because it's not disclosing anything that needs to be kept under wraps or anything that would cause prospective buyers to wait. The impression I got from what Musk and JB said during the call was that they were rolling out real features that owners in the entire fleet would appreciate.

So while we are all speculating... what if they replaced Linux and their Qt based UI with IOS and - with a simple firmware upgrade - create the first Apple car? Plus access to some apps, from iTunes, full iTunes integration, etc?
That would explain a lot of the rumors around Apple/Tesla. Oh, and then every Apple store would, in fact, become kind of a Tesla show room.
While I'm a Linux / Android person and might not be in love with that change, overall I think it would fit what Elon described.

Any beta testers for the 7.0 firmware who want to speak up? No? I didn't expect you would... PM me :)

Elon: "And - but most of that deferral will be taken care of this quarter with the software release next month which will add a bunch more functionality to the car. Right now, I’m really excited about the software release we have planned for next month. There is a bunch of features in it that are going to positively affect entire fleet and then of course we’ll add more autopilot capability."

Note that he said this in the context of a revenue deferral. That makes me think it probably refers to functionality that has already been talked about publicly. I'm guessing more of the auto pilot stuff. Maybe the "and then" at the end was misspoken and he really meant "including"?