Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upcoming FW upgrade to "positively impact" essentially the entire fleet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Somebody want to point to a source for this? I've seen "positive impact" which is a really low bar, with almost anything qualifying. When did Elon say "significant impact"?

Tesla Motors' (TSLA) CEO Elon Musk On Q4 2014 Results - Earnings Call Transcript
http://seekingalpha.com/article/290...k-on-q4-2014-results-earnings-call-transcript

<p><strong><span class="answer">Elon Musk</span></strong></p>
<p>And - but most of that deferral will be taken care of this quarter with the software release next month which will add a bunch more functionality to the car. Right now, I’m really excited about the software release we have planned for next month. There is a bunch of features in it that are going to positively affect entire fleet and then of course we’ll add more autopilot capability.</p>
<p><strong><span class="answer">JB Straubel</span></strong></p>
<p>That is simply exciting.</p>
<p><strong><span class="answer">Elon Musk</span></strong></p>
<p>Yes, it’s going to be a really, really good release.</p>

Assuming Elon isn't exaggerating and it really is something significant, I would expect one (or more) of the following, all of which others have mentioned:

- Major UI/UE overhaul, hopefully with better voice recognition & voice commands
- 3rd party apps opened up - opening up a world of new features
- Found some computer magic to give a significant efficiency/mileage boost to all models

There's a lot of individual features we'd love to see and maybe they'll tag along, but individual features dont seem to live up to the wording he used.

I think we're going to see Nav improvements, among other things. They're due. Now that there's better energy awareness, it can be explicitly integrated into the routing UI. This includes alternate routes, waypoints and arbitrary start point (for trip planning), supercharger routing (taking availability into account, which would be a perfectly doable addition), and user preferences (least energy, least distance, least time). I think these things are all simply waiting on proper UI design. I currently find my P85's chosen route to be rather inexplicable, and sometimes bizarre, and I can't do a variety of things I would like to do. Obviously, over time Tesla will implement pretty much all the EVTripPlanner features that people like.

My model for Tesla on these things is Apple. We won't see a feature from Tesla until they have figured out how to make it excellent, and if it's a catch up feature it will have to be better in some significant way than what the other guys already have. This is why, for example, we haven't seen blind spot monitoring yet -- I think they've been able to do it for a while, but it isn't yet as good as they want it and they won't put it out there until it is.

Doesn't affect all cars positively. Only those with the Tech Package have Nav.

Doesn't affect all cars positively. Only those with the Tech Package have Nav.

Right. But I read Elon's remarks as saying that the changes in the whole will "positively affect" the entire fleet. Nav changes will do that for most of the fleet. That just leaves the small number of non-Nav cars to get something that makes them a bit better. As I said, this is a very low bar. An improvement in the battery warming algorithm would do.

It would be nice if somebody had a source for that claim of "significant impact" improvements in the offing.

Right. But I read Elon's remarks as saying that the changes in the whole will "positively affect" the entire fleet. Nav changes will do that for most of the fleet. That just leaves the small number of non-Nav cars to get something that makes them a bit better. As I said, this is a very low bar. An improvement in the battery warming algorithm would do.

It would be nice if somebody had a source for that claim of "significant impact" improvements in the offing.

I don't think anyone is denying your assertion that the correct quote is "positively affect" rather than "significantly impact".

I have no idea how many MS's are ordered without the Tech Package. My guess would be that it is a far higher percentage now than it was 5 months ago! I hope you are right and the Nav is improved.

Seems likely to me that several of the items proposed on this thread will be implemented, thus there will be SOMETHING that improves for every owner!

Making the tech package optional is just a way to present a lower base price. I can't imagine many cars are sold without it, and those who forego it should be made aware they may not get all the benefit of upgrades as some will depend on navigation.

Something that needs to be considered when Tesla says something is going to "positively impact the entire fleet" doesn't necessarily mean every car will get it. They can just use a similar excuse as they did when they increased Supercharging to 120kW but those with an A pack did not get it. The reasoning they provided was that the average charge time for the fleet would go down so everyone does get the benefit of faster charging (sorry to bring this old wound up again).

Now I'm not saying that this is what will happen here but considering past history I will be lowering my expectations and not taking what Tesla says literally.

Something that needs to be considered when Tesla says something is going to "positively impact the entire fleet" doesn't necessarily mean every car will get it. They can just use a similar excuse as they did when they increased Supercharging to 120kW but those with an A pack did not get it. The reasoning they provided was that the average charge time for the fleet would go down so everyone does get the benefit of faster charging (sorry to bring this old wound up again).

Now I'm not saying that this is what will happen here but considering past history I will be lowering my expectations and not taking what Tesla says literally.

Actually, I think it's to read Elon Musk's statements literally.
- substantial firmware update: updates lots of code in the firmware; says nothing about the effect
- positively affect the entire fleet: it will be better than before; says nothing about how much better

"Changelog: reformatted the code because I like my { below my ifs. Added 'Display Picture of Elon' option as requested by senior management."

"Changelog: reformatted the code because I like my { below my ifs. Added 'Display Picture of Elon' option as requested by senior management."
OT, but... I used to work with someone who was notorious for doing stupid s**t like this (reformatting whitespace/tabs to spaces was another favorite of his). He never seemed to get what a PITA it was to diff versions of code after he went in and stirred the pot...:cursing:

"Entire fleet" might indicate "worldwide" too.

For example, voice recognition iirc is only available in english so no one outside US/UK can use it for Sat Nav.
Or you need to say "quarante-neuf (49) avenue des Champs-Elysées, Paris" with an insane US accent "forty-nine avenew day tchenz-hey-liz-hey, pairissss" :confused:
Getting it compatible with 50+ spoken languages like Waze or Google Maps is quite a task.

Same goes with reading speed signs for autopilot: they come in different shape and different colors of background vs. fonts in every country.
Some are located on the right side of the road (EU), some on the left side (UK), sometimes they are 5 meters above the road on bridges.

And then you have white lines on the ground, either right or left. And sometimes they are yellow, not white. And sometimes they have strong reflective green mirrors included every five meters which may disturb readings.

E.

Making the tech package optional is just a way to present a lower base price. I can't imagine many cars are sold without it, and those who forego it should be made aware they may not get all the benefit of upgrades as some will depend on navigation.

Communication of this would be a good idea!

There are threads about the woes of not getting the tech package, so there are some without it. Unfortunately, some buyers really, really want a Tesla, and it has to be now. They think that they can sacrifice the gizmos to reduce the cost by $3-4k. Seems to me that the car won't be delivered for a couple of months, and you should be able to save that much up by then, but what do I know?

The thing that would really send shock-waves into the car industry would be lifetime warranty. Would that be economically viable for Tesla?

John Delorean wanted to offer a lifetime warranty on the stainless steel body on the Delorean... his backers and insurance company wouldn't let him do it.

35+ years later, and most Deloreans that had even the minimal care for their stainless body are still in great shape.

"Entire fleet" might indicate "worldwide" too.

For example, voice recognition iirc is only available in english so no one outside US/UK can use it for Sat Nav.
Or you need to say "quarante-neuf (49) avenue des Champs-Elysées, Paris" with an insane US accent "forty-nine avenew day tchenz-hey-liz-hey, pairissss" :confused:
Getting it compatible with 50+ spoken languages like Waze or Google Maps is quite a task.

Same goes with reading speed signs for autopilot: they come in different shape and different colors of background vs. fonts in every country.
Some are located on the right side of the road (EU), some on the left side (UK), sometimes they are 5 meters above the road on bridges.

And then you have white lines on the ground, either right or left. And sometimes they are yellow, not white. And sometimes they have strong reflective green mirrors included every five meters which may disturb readings.

E.
Asian cars (China, HK, Japan) don't have voice commands, no navigation, no range-aware nav, no smart air conditioning, no TPMS, no Slacker, very poor Japanese input so map is not searchable, etc.
Hope Tesla puts more focus on internationalization so we non-US owners can recommend Tesla to more people, and Elon's firmware update will positively affects us as well.

Depends on what you mean by "warranty." If you mean that Tesla will replace a part if it fails and it hasn't met or exceeded it's service life, then that might be possible. If you mean that they'll fix it for free, forever, then no, that's not happening.

No warranty covers things which fail from wear and tear. They cover things which weren't made right in the first place, and so failed before they should have.

The thing that would really send shock-waves into the car industry would be lifetime warranty. Would that be economically viable for Tesla?

I'm still betting on my predictions from last year:

I'm very excited about the color-change LED's in the door handles, the DRL and rear light strobing for those of us who might moonlight as public safety officials, self-clean touchscreen, road noise cancellation, and cruise/turn signal stalk function swap, personally.

UNSUBSTANTIATED RUMOR: New firmware 5.13? Tesla service says it's being pushed now... - Page 3

We already got the turn signal stalk swap, but it was hardware instead of software.

- - - Updated - - -

You're WRONG! Brackets come at the end of the IF line! That's how you're supposed to do it!!!!111!!!eleventy-one!!omg!wtfbbq!!!