Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upcoming FW upgrade to "positively impact" essentially the entire fleet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think I found it.

Elon is turning everyone's Model S into a Bond submarine. This article on Jalopnik (yes, I know!) says they verified that this graphic was part of the 5.9 software update and that it's not photoshopped, but indeed real and "confirmed by Tesla".

Tesla bond sub.jpg

Just be sure to roll up your windows first before trying the new update. :)

Last edited:
Yep. Totally worked with the latest P85D firmware (.167?)

Only if you have air suspension though.

This is so nerdtastic! For suspension height there is instead depth measured in leagues. The little image raises and lowers with the suspension. Love it.

Actually surprised that Tesla is encouraging is to play with that - GB basically told us to cut it out when we were experimenting with is a few years ago.

image.jpg

Last edited:
Tesla seems more focused on designing high performance "halo" cars than it does making existing features competitive with those of other manufacturers. Instead of focusing their software engineers on making the current systems best in class, they have split their focus on new drive train options and this autopilot thing that will probably never fully live up to what is being promised. How long does someone have to wait for the navigation system to offer the basic features of any off-the-shelf navigation, or even the basic features of my 7 year old Prius DVD-based navigation?

Tesla can't design and sell a front console without being 2 years behind schedule, same with the CHAdeMO. They are focusing too much energy on what's next and not enough on improving what already is. It's an embarrassing picture if you look at things objectively and separate from your love of Tesla. I think my honeymoon phase may be ending because I'm very concerned with the decisions that Tesla is making. I used to think Musk could do no wrong, but lately he seems to be on the defense judging by his Q4 conference call performance.

Well engineering does not work that way--you do not go to the engineer pantry an grab a couple for some random project. Project velocity for the drivetrain SW has nothing to do with project velocity for autopilot features and without seeing company plans, you cannot really say whether a given project prioritization makes sense or not. To allocate an engineer who understands charging/battery systems to the ChaDeMo adapter means you pay an opportunity cost in that he/she is not working on something else that may ultimately be more valuable to the company and to us owners, like say faster Superchargers. The same is true with someone that does interior elements--there would seem to be other priorities in the last couple of years like getting the RHD interior done and working on the MX interior. IMO, they should have every drivetrain engineer they have handy working on the AWD right now as I am gong to guess is its the foundation of the MX drivetrain--which is a critical bridge for the company till the M3 comes out. The fact that the new drivetrain also provides insane acceleration is a happy by-product, not the original design goal, but its also a sign of smart engineering.

The reality is Tesla will only be successful by raising the bar--parity is failure. When choosing between working on a feature everyone has and one that no one has, I always hope they choose the latter. ChaDeMo adapters and front consoles and rear consoles are seldom if ever going to be deal-breakers--people will still buy the cars and come here and gripe. Features like AWD, Autopilot, faster SCs and cheaper batteries will draw in new buyers. And yet, I am still surprised that the company spends time and effort to deliver things like rear consoles and the like to keep customers happy because I am going to guess the revenue from these things is not particularly interesting (and the relatively high prices reflect the relatively low volumes they expect).

This growth phase is where many start-ups blow up -- while its certainly not always pretty, I think Musk and company are doing a pretty good job. My guess is Elon holds JB to a very strict headcount and one of the hardest parts of JB's job is trying to allocate headcount across the various systems in the car.

It does if what Elon and Tim discussed was that every Tesla owner gets a free Apple Watch, paid for by Elon... oh, and for those of us who are Android users I guess he'll have to throw in a free iPhone, too :)

I like this idea, but I suspect that at best it will be a discounted Apple Watch. I'm guessing the $15000 Edition for only $10000, and they'll throw in an iPhone 6.

Well engineering does not work that way--you do not go to the engineer pantry an grab a couple for some random project. Project velocity for the drivetrain SW has nothing to do with project velocity for autopilot features and without seeing company plans, you cannot really say whether a given project prioritization makes sense or not. To allocate an engineer who understands charging/battery systems to the ChaDeMo adapter means you pay an opportunity cost in that he/she is not working on something else that may ultimately be more valuable to the company and to us owners, like say faster Superchargers. The same is true with someone that does interior elements--there would seem to be other priorities in the last couple of years like getting the RHD interior done and working on the MX interior. IMO, they should have every drivetrain engineer they have handy working on the AWD right now as I am gong to guess is its the foundation of the MX drivetrain--which is a critical bridge for the company till the M3 comes out. The fact that the new drivetrain also provides insane acceleration is a happy by-product, not the original design goal, but its also a sign of smart engineering.

The reality is Tesla will only be successful by raising the bar--parity is failure. When choosing between working on a feature everyone has and one that no one has, I always hope they choose the latter. ChaDeMo adapters and front consoles and rear consoles are seldom if ever going to be deal-breakers--people will still buy the cars and come here and gripe. Features like AWD, Autopilot, faster SCs and cheaper batteries will draw in new buyers. And yet, I am still surprised that the company spends time and effort to deliver things like rear consoles and the like to keep customers happy because I am going to guess the revenue from these things is not particularly interesting (and the relatively high prices reflect the relatively low volumes they expect).

This growth phase is where many start-ups blow up -- while its certainly not always pretty, I think Musk and company are doing a pretty good job. My guess is Elon holds JB to a very strict headcount and one of the hardest parts of JB's job is trying to allocate headcount across the various systems in the car.

Couldn't agree more. It makes no sense for Tesla to raise the bar on standard features that are largely luxury accoutrements. The have define new standards beyond the ordinary.

Couldn't agree more. It makes no sense for Tesla to raise the bar on standard features that are largely luxury accoutrements. The have define new standards beyond the ordinary.

Regardless of what we think, Tesla will have to give customers what they want. Customers who are cross-shopping have already identified many areas of improvement to existing systems. Saying that Tesla cannot improve the navigation functionality, for example, because they have to define "new standards beyond the ordinary" doesn't ring true for me. Tesla can execute on multiple fronts. If Tesla doesn't listen to its customers, Tesla will fail. That is assured.

Regardless of what we think, Tesla will have to give customers what they want. Customers who are cross-shopping have already identified many areas of improvement to existing systems. Saying that Tesla cannot improve the navigation functionality, for example, because they have to define "new standards beyond the ordinary" doesn't ring true for me. Tesla can execute on multiple fronts. If Tesla doesn't listen to its customers, Tesla will fail. That is assured.

I think there is a balance point here - you are not going to create a successful new product category by asking customers about their old product category. Jobs was great at this and Musk is similarly so. I would refer you to the Henry Ford quote: “If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.”

I actually do think they try and be responsive to customer requests/demands but, to me, they try and do it in a way that doesn't compromise the mission. With the nav, I think it will get there--I was at the D announcement and its clear the nav software is a central element for Autopilot--Musk talked about all the different elements (sensors, GPS, nav) etc working as an integrated system....but...as with many things Telsa, its probably gonna take some time. Folks always use Waze as an example, but I will tell you, I used Waze form the beginning and out the door, ti was nothing to write home about.

At service stations Tesla has forms that you can fill out to request for new features. They then look at what most people are demanding and try to come up with a solution. That sounds pretty responsive to me considering the fact that they are trying to expand production becsuse they are severely production limited, expanding their supercharger network, working on the MX and M3, investing in battery facilities, coming up with more updates, etc.

If this isn't strictly firmware, this is my guess:

Given the removal of the Twin Charger option on the build page, I wonder if all Model S (entire fleet) will get a free second charger. As for those that already purchased this option, maybe they'll get a Tesla Store gift card? :wink: