Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Update: It happened] Track Mode not happening for P3d-

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess, except that the car would be about 4k cheaper now anyways even with the 5k back.

Did you get the $7500 tax credit and the $5000 back? Can’t you find a used P3+ owner and swap + some $$ so you don’t incure sales tax? There will be no more P3-, I have heard of lots of people who wish they could have bought the P3- that have the P3+. The $5k back fixed it for me. TM would just get me in very expensive trouble... at least that is what I am telling myself.

Did you get the $7500 tax credit and the $5000 back? Can’t you find a used P3+ owner and swap + some $$ so you don’t incure sales tax? There will be no more P3-, I have heard of lots of people who wish they could have bought the P3- that have the P3+. The $5k back fixed it for me. TM would just get me in very expensive trouble... at least that is what I am telling myself.
I should get the tax credit but tax documents are still trickeling in (maybe) so I haven't filed yet.
I have to pay sales tax on used vehicles here :( though so that pretty much kills that.

Not sure there is any advantage to P3D- vs the P3D+, put some all season tires on the + and range will probably be similar.

Actually there is one advantage to P3D-. Insurance company sees the vin as an AWD.

Last edited:
Reactions: dww12
I should get the tax credit but tax documents are still trickeling in (maybe) so I haven't filed yet.
I have to pay sales tax on used vehicles here :( though so that pretty much kills that.

Not sure there is any advantage to P3D- vs the P3D+, put some all season tires on the + and range will probably be similar.

Actually there is one advantage to P3D-. Insurance company sees the vin as an AWD.

VIN should be the same for AWD/P3D-/P3D+. They all show up as AWD in the VIN. At least they did last summer, unless it's different now?

Who did you contact? I am not getting much of a response by email or in person.

Sign into your tesla.com account, click manage, click request help, click other. I sent the communication requesting the $5k back and referenced Elon's tweet. They responded 2 or 3 days later, and the check was cut about a week later. Super easy. Blown away that they would do this!

Reactions: Sg911
I'm really hoping this isn't true. I had an argument with Tesla about this very problem that they have effectively stopped supporting the car by killing production and now treating owners as bastard children. I've never made a purchase that was so quickly abandoned by the manufacturer before. And I was an early Zune adopter, so I have some experience in this arena. I really need to stop buying first release products.

I'm still hoping Elon isn't a liar on this one. There's got to be something we as owners can do to convince Tesla to support us.

I'm really hoping this isn't true. I had an argument with Tesla about this very problem that they have effectively stopped supporting the car by killing production and now treating owners as bastard children. I've never made a purchase that was so quickly abandoned by the manufacturer before. And I was an early Zune adopter, so I have some experience in this arena. I really need to stop buying first release products.

I'm still hoping Elon isn't a liar on this one. There's got to be something we as owners can do to convince Tesla to support us.

5000 is a great peace offering.

If I knew that was going to happen, I wish I got the 3P-.

Reactions: Randy7fx

The car is essentially an AWD car so they will be supporting it in that capacity. Think of it as an AWD with a 0-60 that's 1 second faster. For 6K + taxes more, that is worth it to alot of people.

Reactions: MXWing
the sad part is that the people that really go to the track though PCA and BMWCCA and other car clubs would never buy the track package they offered. I would much prefer my own set of pads and tires that are better picked for the track. They are then left with people getting track mode that really will never bring it to a track. I for one, went P3D- for that reason. I realize there was a change track mode didn't come to it but Elon's tweets should be a promise they live up to.

the sad part is that the people that really go to the track though PCA and BMWCCA and other car clubs would never buy the track package they offered. I would much prefer my own set of pads and tires that are better picked for the track. They are then left with people getting track mode that really will never bring it to a track. I for one, went P3D- for that reason. I realize there was a change track mode didn't come to it but Elon's tweets should be a promise they live up to.

Why does anyone think the final chapter to this story has been written already? Let's have some patience, and wait to see if track mode comes. Just because it hasn't already, doesn't mean it won't. I agree that there is a strong chance it does based on Elons tweets.

The car is essentially an AWD car so they will be supporting it in that capacity. Think of it as an AWD with a 0-60 that's 1 second faster. For 6K + taxes more, that is worth it to alot of people.
Problem is I bought it with the intention to track it and was sold its capabilities as a track car. The reason why I opted out of PUP is because everyone I talked to at the time said it was cosmetic only and I didn't want/need 20" wheels to track. I always planned to put better wheels/tires on the car. I was blindsided to learn about the upgraded brakes once I finally took delivery. So the 5k refund I don't consider a peace offering at all. Its a poor settlement for being repeatedly lied to and misled. I have frankly never regretted any purchase more than I have this car but getting rid of it right now at this point would mean an even bigger loss. So I have to hold on to it for a while. I still love driving the car as a daily driver but it is not the car I was sold and every day Tesla reminds me about how much they unapologetically
screwed me. It's infuriating.

Problem is I bought it with the intention to track it and was sold its capabilities as a track car. The reason why I opted out of PUP is because everyone I talked to at the time said it was cosmetic only and I didn't want/need 20" wheels to track. I always planned to put better wheels/tires on the car. I was blindsided to learn about the upgraded brakes once I finally took delivery. So the 5k refund I don't consider a peace offering at all. Its a poor settlement for being repeatedly lied to and misled. I have frankly never regretted any purchase more than I have this car but getting rid of it right now at this point would mean an even bigger loss. So I have to hold on to it for a while. I still love driving the car as a daily driver but it is not the car I was sold and every day Tesla reminds me about how much they unapologetically
screwed me. It's infuriating.
Sorry about that but when track mode was announced, it was stated to be pup only. You probably bought it before there even was a thought of track mode.

Let's band together as we did for the 5k refund and see if we can get Tesla to follow thru. I don't remember who spear headed the last push, but could we get another letter written and sent off to Tesla higher ups? I am sure they will follow thru if they see enough people wanting it. It's not like Elon didn't say it would happen. Let's do this.

Sorry about that but when track mode was announced, it was stated to be pup only. You probably bought it before there even was a thought of track mode.
Correct. I ordered mine at the beginning of July. Track Mode had only been hinted at and as a buyer I had every indication that Tesla would be supporting my car as a Performance model long into the future. That is a basic expectation when you buy a premium product such as this. Unfortunately they are not honoring that.

Correct. I ordered mine at the beginning of July. Track Mode had only been hinted at and as a buyer I had every indication that Tesla would be supporting my car as a Performance model long into the future. That is a basic expectation when you buy a premium product such as this. Unfortunately they are not honoring that.
I think they will, we just need to force their hand.

Reactions: caskater47