Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Update: It happened] Track Mode not happening for P3d-

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you want to deal with whatever the previous owner(s) did to and in the car, and want to get the best value for your money even if you can’t find the exact config and colors you want, buy used cars just coming off a lease.

If you want to be the first person to fart in your car, want the full warranty period and the latest and greatest features and don’t mind being the person to deal with the depreciation, buy new.

Me? I tend to buy new for the fart factor and not wanting to find the previous owner’s boogers when trying to get my phone that slid under the seat (this happened to me once. So gross. Ugh. People are the worst).

• Funny
Reactions: bhzmark
well, no....when the variant was announced, Track Mode was not. NO P3D (+ OR -) buyers knew they were getting Track Mode until sometime in August.

It came down to a simple game theory decision tree that we had access to back in July 2018.

Was track mode a sure thing? No as it was not advertised on any trim. If not advertised, it’s not owed.

IF track mode was going to be released, what were the odds it would be on the 3P- but not in the 3P+?

Zero.

What would the odds be on it being released on the 3P+ but not the 3P-?

More than zero.

What would be the odds be on it being released on both the 3P+ and 3P-?

Not 100 percent.

There was one choice only if you wanted to be assured of track mode IN THE EVENT it was actually released.

I know there’s smart people here but not sure why there is a mental block and obtuseness regarding this subject. Even with incomplete information, the decision matrices are completely obvious.

I didn’t admit a data point because if you factored that in - there would be no 200 page thread.

In all the videos and articles where track mode was filmed and discussed:

What was the trim? Model 3 Performance with Premium Upgrade Package. Red calipers, 20 inch wheels, plain as day.

Anyone see track mode demonstrations with 18 or 19 inch wheels? Those are likely to be the same wheels and tires that go on the stripped down Model 3 SR.

Anyone see track mode demonstrations with 3rd party wheels and tires not sold by Tesla?

Why not track mode on AWD then? It’s just slower straight line but otherwise same as a 3P-.

Those who gambled and lost need to take responsibility for their choices.

• Disagree
Reactions: lookmtb and Perry
It came down to a simple game theory decision tree that we had access to back in July 2018.

Was track mode a sure thing? No as it was not advertised on any trim. If not advertised, it’s not owed.

IF track mode was going to be released, what were the odds it would be on the 3P- but not in the 3P+?

Zero.

What would the odds be on it being released on the 3P+ but not the 3P-?

More than zero.

What would be the odds be on it being released on both the 3P+ and 3P-?

Not 100 percent.

There was one choice only if you wanted to be assured of track mode IN THE EVENT it was actually released.

I know there’s smart people here but not sure why there is a mental block and obtuseness regarding this subject. Even with incomplete information, the decision matrices are completely obvious.

I didn’t admit a data point because if you factored that in - there would be no 200 page thread.

In all the videos and articles where track mode was filmed and discussed:

What was the trim? Model 3 Performance with Premium Upgrade Package. Red calipers, 20 inch wheels, plain as day.

Anyone see track mode demonstrations with 18 or 19 inch wheels? Those are likely to be the same wheels and tires that go on the stripped down Model 3 SR.

Anyone see track mode demonstrations with 3rd party wheels and tires not sold by Tesla?

Why not track mode on AWD then? It’s just slower straight line but otherwise same as a 3P-.

Those who gambled and lost need to take responsibility for their choices.

But to bring this back on track......

The variant is no longer available. Giving us a "baby Track Mode" won't cannibalize P3D+ sales as it would have in August/September. Your point about the only cars being tested with it is valid for that time frame, because, why WOULD Tesla want you to buy a cheaper version and get Track Mode? Always be upsellin'!!!

But now....the variant was ended months ago. It's no longer a threat to the higher-margin P3D. It would merely be a goodwill thing at this point, which Tesla has been occasionally known to dabble in.

Reactions: Perry and mswlogo
Do people want track mode just because they want to say they have it? Do you plan to use it on the street? Do you actually plan to track your car? If the latter, why would you not elect for the package with better brakes and suspension to start? Outside of, planning to upgrade components anyways, the whole desire doesn’t make a lot of sense. I understand $5k was a lot for mostly cosmetic updates, but the brakes alone make it a performance oriented package as do the tires alone.

I’ve retired from tracking my personal cars, and I have no intention of using that mode on the street in the spirit of public safety, so I guess I don’t jnderstand why so many people want this feature on non-PUP or even non-Performance models.

Back to the post, I thought I read elsewhere that the larger brakes are a determining factor for putting Track Mode on the car.

Do people want track mode just because they want to say they have it? Do you plan to use it on the street? Do you actually plan to track your car? If the latter, why would you not elect for the package with better brakes and suspension to start? Outside of, planning to upgrade components anyways, the whole desire doesn’t make a lot of sense. I understand $5k was a lot for mostly cosmetic updates, but the brakes alone make it a performance oriented package as do the tires alone.

I’ve retired from tracking my personal cars, and I have no intention of using that mode on the street in the spirit of public safety, so I guess I don’t jnderstand why so many people want this feature on non-PUP or even non-Performance models.

Back to the post, I thought I read elsewhere that the larger brakes are a determining factor for putting Track Mode on the car.

There are other benefits such as improved cooling of the motor amd higher regen.

Reactions: Msjulie and Perry

my full-time home is 3/4 mile from an Autocross course.

my summer home is 20 minutes from a 1/8 mile drag strip, and ~45 minutes from an Autocross course.

in between homes is a 1/4 mile drag strip.

So I have options.

Reactions: Perry
that got dark pretty quick.

we had bad timing choosing a Tesla, we didn't kill anyone.

But to bring this back on track......

The variant is no longer available. Giving us a "baby Track Mode" won't cannibalize P3D+ sales as it would have in August/September. Your point about the only cars being tested with it is valid for that time frame, because, why WOULD Tesla want you to buy a cheaper version and get Track Mode? Always be upsellin'!!!

But now....the variant was ended months ago. It's no longer a threat to the higher-margin P3D. It would merely be a goodwill thing at this point, which Tesla has been occasionally known to dabble in.

I keep track of points on time where owners got caught on bad timing. 3P- is near bottom of list for impact.

Categories of most screwed Tesla owners.

Also, there was over a 100 page thread with owners being furious about Tesla dropping prices on the 3P and not having track mode on 3P-. The degree of vitrol and petulance exhibited is up there as if Tesla did kill someone.:)

Even though I made the more responsible and expensive choice to select 3P+ I have no problem if track mode was released for 3P-. Making as many people happy as possible can only good for the brand.

If Tesla has not done so yet must mean there is a reason on why they can’t or shouldn’t.

How we ask is just as important as what we ask, at least in my opinion. I think you are really reasonable. Some want to do class action lawsuits.

I keep track of points on time where owners got caught on bad timing. 3P- is near bottom of list for impact.

Categories of most screwed Tesla owners.

Also, there was over a 100 page thread with owners being furious about Tesla dropping prices on the 3P and not having track mode on 3P-. The degree of vitrol and petulance exhibited is up there as if Tesla did kill someone.:)

Even though I made the more responsible and expensive choice to select 3P+ I have no problem if track mode was released for 3P-. Making as many people happy as possible can only good for the brand.

If Tesla has not done so yet must mean there is a reason on why they can’t or shouldn’t.

How we ask is just as important as what we ask, at least in my opinion. I think you are really reasonable. Some want to do class action lawsuits.
My own experience with Tesla is that people in charge (except Musk) simply don't care and aren't concerned about how these things affect their image. There are pretty good people in positions that can help and want to do something but "HQ won't allow it" is the common refrain I keep hearing. When I hear things like that I have no other assumption than willful negligence/indifference. When I was trying to work out a retrofit option the official HQ response was "you knew what you bought" and absolutely had no concern for the lies and misleading statements the company and its reps had made to get my sale. They didn't even offer a refund. I had to go through a different channel to get it.

So Musk seems to be the only one with a conscience at Tesla with any power. Nobody else cares and everyone else in a position of authority seems content with screwing over their customers. Musk alone can't save the company nor can he wave his hand and magically make everything better. Given all this I've learned Tesla isn't trustworthy and undeserving of my future money. Further I have lost any faith in them to deliver anything that was promised.

I'm willing to be the bigger man and ask for TM kindly and respectfully but they have been neither to me and my patience is wearing very thin.

Reactions: Perry
Do you actually plan to track your car? If the latter, why would you not elect for the package with better brakes and suspension to start?
First they did not provide better suspension. It was lowered by 1/2 inch. That's it. It still unsafely whiplashes you up in the air on aggressive turns. Second, I did not elect to buy the so called performance upgrade because it was a compromised upgrade I didn't care about and I was going to throw away most of those parts and replace them with better ones.

Yes I want to track my car, as many others do, and the only thing I needed from Tesla, that they offered, was the superior performance of the drive train which has no aftermarket alternatives. I can configure my own wheels, tires, suspension, and brakes for track performance way better than Tesla ever could because their main focus, even on the performance model, has never been on the best track experience (otherwise they would have included some 18" or 19" fully forged wheels and a better race suspension) but rather to cater to a broad set of owners who also want a comfortable street experience and never track the car.

So Tesla gave us a PUP with a half-assed performance upgrade and the other half, a poser performance upgrade aimed at impressing others (red calipers, large heavy wheels, $30 bling pedals, and carbon tail). No thanks. Rather spend the 5K on actual performance parts. If anyone deserves Track Mode is the P3D- crowd who saw past the bling and decided to put some actual performance into the model 3.

And don't tell me that Track Mode can only be tuned to the bling upgrade. BMW, Audi, and others offer these kind of track options in so many of their models (stability control defeat, skid control defeat, etc.) for the track and they work no matter what parts are swapped for better ones. The least Tesla can do is match the competition on all their cars that they call "performance".

The stock brakes on P3D- can't handle how track mode uses the brakes aggressively as a differential, even the P3D+ barely can and the PUP brake pads are way better than the regular ones. I definitely see what you're saying about upgrading brakes on your own and saving the $5K for the PUP, i almost did the same - but Tesla can't give out Track Mode and then hope people will upgrade their brakes before using, someone out there won't do it and then Tesla gets in trouble when their brakes melt.

Reactions: MXWing
First they did not provide better suspension. It was lowered by 1/2 inch. That's it. It still unsafely whiplashes you up in the air on aggressive turns. Second, I did not elect to buy the so called performance upgrade because it was a compromised upgrade I didn't care about and I was going to throw away most of those parts and replace them with better ones.

Yes I want to track my car, as many others do, and the only thing I needed from Tesla, that they offered, was the superior performance of the drive train which has no aftermarket alternatives. I can configure my own wheels, tires, suspension, and brakes for track performance way better than Tesla ever could because their main focus, even on the performance model, has never been on the best track experience (otherwise they would have included some 18" or 19" fully forged wheels and a better race suspension) but rather to cater to a broad set of owners who also want a comfortable street experience and never track the car.

So Tesla gave us a PUP with a half-assed performance upgrade and the other half, a poser performance upgrade aimed at impressing others (red calipers, large heavy wheels, $30 bling pedals, and carbon tail). No thanks. Rather spend the 5K on actual performance parts. If anyone deserves Track Mode is the P3D- crowd who saw past the bling and decided to put some actual performance into the model 3.

And don't tell me that Track Mode can only be tuned to the bling upgrade. BMW, Audi, and others offer these kind of track options in so many of their models (stability control defeat, skid control defeat, etc.) for the track and they work no matter what parts are swapped for better ones. The least Tesla can do is match the competition on all their cars that they call "performance".
Amen.

If I don't like poser red calipers, large heavy wheels, $30 bling pedals, and carbon tail - nothing is stopping me from removing them and put "actual performance" into them?

I paid for that Call Option - the right but not the obligation to be a poser. Since you didn't pay then, you can pay now - so I don't see exactly where your problem is at?

Track Mode wasn't on my MVPA nor was it on yours.

Love how you disagreed with my earlier post but you can't refute the logic or facts,

Last edited:

There is very few manufactures like Porsche giving you choice for each very specific option. Most of them sell upgrades in packages, and each package has something you want and something you don’t. In my perspective it’s inevitable if you really want some upgrades in the package.
For Tesla, it happens the most “valuable point” of PUP is the control module code. Yes for ICE car most of the ECU codes are so open that you can have someone upgrade it for you after purchase. But Tesla is not, just accept it.

Reactions: MXWing
There is very few manufactures like Porsche giving you choice for each very specific option. Most of them sell upgrades in packages, and each package has something you want and something you don’t. In my perspective it’s inevitable if you really want some upgrades in the package.
For Tesla, it happens the most “valuable point” of PUP is the control module code. Yes for ICE car most of the ECU codes are so open that you can have someone upgrade it for you after purchase. But Tesla is not, just accept it.

Let's not let truth and common sense get in the way of a good story. We can't have that.

Before the first Model 3 Performance was delivered, the decision matrix was already understood by buyers. It was a $5K option to qualify for every possible feature coming to the Model 3.

You didn't take that option, you took your chances.

• Disagree
Reactions: Mayhem and Perry
Let's not let truth and common sense get in the way of a good story. We can't have that.

Before the first Model 3 Performance was delivered, the decision matrix was already understood by buyers. It was a $5K option to qualify for every possible feature coming to the Model 3.

You didn't take that option, you took your chances.
I still don't agree with the this line of reasoning as it assumes that Stealth was not a Performance model at any point. A company can't sell a product and market it as one thing but treat it as another. This is what happened here. They sold us a Performance model and are treating it as AWD+. It's not logical or rational to assume because you didn't buy all the options that you aren't eligible for continued upgrades on that model car. No other car company would get away with that and Tesla shouldn't either.