Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Update on AP Camera Update for Older S/X Vehicles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At least you got that. I am still on the first FSD button push version 2021.32.22 and can not get off of it. Called service several times. Customer support etc. They say I am on the lastest build my car needs. Not sure that is true...
Frankly, none of the latest updates I've received seem to add much to the car. It was just nice to be on the fast track. I suspect Tesla has finally reached a saturation point where they can't keep up with the upgrades for so many cars. Maybe, as someone suggested earlier, we'll all get a significant upgrade in 2022 to v11. The ride is still the best I've ever had.

Hey guys, I got some info from a super nice guy, Nick, from calling the Tesla support phone number just now.
It might help some of you on this thread, it might not, but at least it's something.

Regarding my car being stuck on 36.5.1, he said he has a suspicion it might need the camera upgrade before it gets the latest software updates, but he sent a message to the software team asking about my VIN and if there's a firmware issue or if I need the camera swap before it moves on from 36.5.1. I'm just waiting to hear back from either service or software team about that. Should be 1-3 days before I get an answer.

Then regarding the FSD download, he said after the camera upgrade it should ping the network saying "hey my car is ready to receive FSD" but if not, then he told me to email "fsdbeta @ tesla . com" (no spaces) with my name, info, VIN and safety score to ask them for the FSD download and they should be able to send it or explain why they can't. He said they've been really quick responding to emails so if I don't get the download after the camera swap, try emailing them.

I really hope this helps someone browsing this thread. Nick from the Tesla support number was insanely nice and seemed to know what he was talking about more than anyone I've ever talked to on the phone there.

Hey guys, I got some info from a super nice guy, Nick, from calling the Tesla support phone number just now.
It might help some of you on this thread, it might not, but at least it's something.

Regarding my car being stuck on 36.5.1, he said he has a suspicion it might need the camera upgrade before it gets the latest software updates, but he sent a message to the software team asking about my VIN and if there's a firmware issue or if I need the camera swap before it moves on from 36.5.1. I'm just waiting to hear back from either service or software team about that. Should be 1-3 days before I get an answer.

Then regarding the FSD download, he said after the camera upgrade it should ping the network saying "hey my car is ready to receive FSD" but if not, then he told me to email [email protected] with my name, info, VIN and safety score to ask them for the FSD download and they should be able to send it or explain why they can't. He said they've been really quick responding to emails so if I don't get the download after the camera swap, try emailing them.

I really hope this helps someone browsing this thread. Nick from the Tesla support number was insanely nice and seemed to know what he was talking about more than anyone I've ever talked to on the phone there.
@GoofyGoober

Thanks for reaching out to everyone here. However, I hate to be a Naysayer, BUT, I emailed BOTH [email protected] and [email protected] on Nov 19th (with all that info ) after getting my camera upgrade. Only got an AUTORESPONSE immediately after sending email and nothing since.

@GoofyGoober

Thanks for reaching out to everyone here. However, I hate to be a Naysayer, BUT, I emailed BOTH [email protected] and [email protected] on Nov 19th (with all that info ) after getting my camera upgrade. Only got an AUTORESPONSE immediately after sending email and nothing since.
Dang that really stinks to hear that.. Since you've had your upgrade for almost a month I imagine you've tried everything you can.
It's really frustrating that us older vehicles are being hung out to dry.

@GoofyGoober

I just sent the email, so I'll wait and see. Maybe if enough of us send emails, they'll take an interest. Sigh...

I just sent the email, so I'll wait and see. Maybe if enough of us send emails, they'll take an interest. Sigh...
@Jackman
Good suggestion, and I'm sure you'll keep us informed.

@GoofyGoober
You are absolutely right. I have tried everything my OBSESSED little brain can imagine. I too called Roadside (just to get a HUMAN to speak with and got transferred to the Software Help Desk in Salt Lake. I tried guilting him into escalating my entire Odyssey from incorrect camera install ad nauseum. That was around end of November and after Correct Camera install. He told me to give it 2 weeks and I should get FSDBeta. Not relying on his wishful thinking, I asked if he would call me December 6, to check on my progress. He said he would. HE NEVER CALLED ME BACK.

I'm convinced they will say anything we want to hear, to shut us up, so they can lie to their next caller.

folks some local info here in VA FWIW. I have a friend with a early MX 2018 , and they had HDW 2.5 cameras, upgraded MCU 2 and HDW3, had a 98/99 score and got the SW in the batch of people that happened during 10.5.1, 10.6.1 has only been been a trickle of people. looks' like they are getting a little closer to 2017 ( my cameras wont be in til lthe 21st ) . earliest I think we would hear/ see a SW update would be january . depending on how many more already ready HDW 2.5/ 3 model 3s and Ys are left to get FSD... keep the faith! ( I know is is hard having purchased FSD in 2019 , for me it does everything I need except left turns, unmarked roads, and unprotected into traffic right turns, that is a few things! ), just gonna enjoy the car in its present form for a bit more

• Funny
Reactions: outdoors
Just got my camera upgrade done here in NYC yesterday. Quick question for everyone, how do I check that the cameras upgraded were the correct ones? They are listed correct on the invoice but when I picked it up last night, the side cameras still had a very slight red hue (which I thought wasn't present in the newer cameras). Am I wrong?

Just got my camera upgrade done here in NYC yesterday. Quick question for everyone, how do I check that the cameras upgraded were the correct ones? They are listed correct on the invoice but when I picked it up last night, the side cameras still had a very slight red hue (which I thought wasn't present in the newer cameras). Am I wrong?
The newer ones should look almost as good as the backup camera. The older ones are almost black and white with a slight tint of red. Look at some of your older clips and new. You should see a difference if they put in new cameras.

Compare the part numbers with post 1 of this thread

• Informative
Reactions: HELLAWATTS
Followup on contacting [email protected]. I wrote them and requested to be put on the beta program 3 days ago and received an acknowledgement later that same day thanking me for the email and saying they would send the email over to engineering. No contact yet from engineering. It was a shot in the dark and I'm still waiting.

Followup on contacting [email protected]. I wrote them and requested to be put on the beta program 3 days ago and received an acknowledgement later that same day thanking me for the email and saying they would send the email over to engineering. No contact yet from engineering. It was a shot in the dark and I'm still waiting.
@Jackman
thanks for the update. Looks like you received the exact AutoResponse email I received. As I previously mentioned, I've been waiting for contact from "engineering" since my email of November 19.

Hope you have better luck. I would feel at least some eventual hope if ANY of us Camera Upgrade folk, got the FSDBETA Software. Until then, it seems that we are all off the Software radar, for any of the non-Beta updates, as well. I'm stuck on 2021.36.5, since early November.

I called Tesla yesterday and got a young woman from the Call Center, relaying all of my above comments. She kept repeating over and over again..."You must be patient." When I asked why am I not getting even the Non FSD Beta Updates, she kept saying they release those in batches and I will eventually get those also. So I said that the Non FSD are way past 2021.36.5 and why does Tesla keep adding new Non FSD releases when I cannot even get the earlier ones such as 2021.44.1. With that she disconnected the call.

If I’m being totally honest I’m getting really tired of the safety score game having done it since the end of September. It’s so stressful. My car has enhanced AP so the only benefit right now is stopping at red lights lol.

My plan is to just opt out after my camera upgrade is done (currently scheduled for Jan 3rd) and wait for official release to the older vehicles. Then once we know it’s actually rolling out to us I will opt back in, get a perfect 100 and as long as I drive 100 miles I’ll get the FSD Beta.

If I’m being totally honest I’m getting really tired of the safety score game having done it since the end of September. It’s so stressful. My car has enhanced AP so the only benefit right now is stopping at red lights lol.

My plan is to just opt out after my camera upgrade is done (currently scheduled for Jan 3rd) and wait for official release to the older vehicles. Then once we know it’s actually rolling out to us I will opt back in, get a perfect 100 and as long as I drive 100 miles I’ll get the FSD Beta.
I opted out. It was making me crazy too. 50 yrs driving, no tickets or accidents. I drive better than the “safety score” system.

Is anyone else's car uploading gigabytes each day since opting into the beta queue? I'm still waiting for the camera upgrade invite and my car seems to upload everything it sees. Almost 1GB on days I don't drive it and 2-3GB on days that I do.

Is anyone else's car uploading gigabytes each day since opting into the beta queue? I'm still waiting for the camera upgrade invite and my car seems to upload everything it sees. Almost 1GB on days I don't drive it and 2-3GB on days that I do.
I have the camera upgrade and upload 10 MB some days and 30 MB on other days. Doesn't seem to correlate with whether I drive the car or not. Interestingly it uploaded 1.5 GB on Nov 21 for no apparent reason. I got the camera upgrade on 11/18. I only monitor uploads and downloads on my home wifi.

Last edited:
That's interesting. We don't have wifi at home because our car is in the garage multiple stories below our apartment, and when we're at my parents' house or my in-laws' house where we connect to wifi we don't have a way to monitor its activity. I wonder if we would be transmitting lots of data like that over LTE.

That's interesting. We don't have wifi at home because our car is in the garage multiple stories below our apartment, and when we're at my parents' house or my in-laws' house where we connect to wifi we don't have a way to monitor its activity. I wonder if we would be transmitting lots of data like that over LTE.
The car will not upload snapshots until connected to WiFi. Car can download updates if pushed via LTE, but those are in extreme cases when an update needs to be pulled.

Last month upload of 60GB on S which is waiting for new cameras, and 113GB on 3 in the FSD beta. All on home WiFi.