Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Update on Mid-Michigan Superchargers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone know if the Supercharger in Clare, MI is operational? Last update I saw was that a permit was issued and Tesla expected it to be open by “late 2018”, but it still doesn’t show on the supercharger map.
I live near GR and drive to Higgins Lake halfway often so this would be a huge help.

Thanks in advance.

Anyone know if the Supercharger in Clare, MI is operational? Last update I saw was that a permit was issued and Tesla expected it to be open by “late 2018”, but it still doesn’t show on the supercharger map.
I live near GR and drive to Higgins Lake halfway often so this would be a huge help.

Thanks in advance.
8 Stalls (120 kW) to be put in at The Doherty Hotel
604 N. McEwan St.
GPS: 43.820426, -84.766734

http://www.cityofclare.org/government/bc/commissionpackets/101518/10.15.18 CM Report.pdf
New Tesla Charging Station. The City Staff and the DDA Design Committee met on October 8th and approved a proposed eight-station Tesla Charging Station (see copy of att’d drawings) to be constructed in the east parking lot of the Doherty Hotel. Tesla is constructing a nation-wide network of these charging stations, which will be strategically placed to accommodate Tesla car owners (as a general rule, minimum of one charging station every 200 miles). Clare was selected as a site due to its central location in the state

The above is stating that the Planning/Zoning/Design review was passed/approved in early October 2018. Clare doesn't publicly list their building permits online, so no data on whether they've already applied for those yet. So anyone in the area should go scope the Doherty Hotel's eastern parking lot out to see whether there are any signs of construction.

@BlueShift @Chuq

Thanks in advance.
Yes agree, this is a huge omission because anyone driving from Lansing/ELansing/Okemos to most parts of northern Michigan for skiing and lakes etc can easily get into trouble. The Lansing to Gaylord Superchargers are 170 miles apart, which at first sounds totally doable with LR 305 mile promise, but remember that for skiing it's usually going to be below freezing so you've lost a lot of miles there, and if you're driving 80 you've lost a bunch more. Recently we set off from Lansing and the Nav confidently told us we would easily make Gaylord, but it wasn't so, and took an anxious while to figure out we could detour to the Cadillac supercharger, but that adds over a half hour driving time. So even with the long range batteries we could not make this very common trip directly. I hope Tesla realizes this one is a priority.

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
The Lansing to Gaylord Superchargers are 170 miles apart, which at first sounds totally doable with LR 305 mile promise, but remember that for skiing it's usually going to be below freezing so you've lost a lot of miles there, and if you're driving 80 you've lost a bunch more. Recently we set off from Lansing and the Nav confidently told us we would easily make Gaylord, but it wasn't so, and took an anxious while to figure out we could detour to the Cadillac supercharger, but that adds over a half hour driving time. So even with the long range batteries we could not make this very common trip directly.
Then DON'T drive 80 mph in the winter when you're worried about extending the range!! This blows my mind that you are blaming the car or Supercharger network for being deficient, when you won't drive sensibly. If you are trying to extend your range and get more distance, how about....not speeding? Michigan doesn't have any 80 mph speed limit highways. When you're doing shorter distances and around local areas, sure, slam it and have fun--range doesn't matter then. But when you're needing to be more efficient and stretch the distance, you need to be more moderate if you want better results.

Michigan does have a 80mph speed limit when you're keeping with the flow of traffic. Michigan is known for it's citizens doing above the posted limits. I am constantly driving by MSP doing 5-10 over and have never been pulled over. If I wanted tot do 65 everywhere, I'd have bought a Leaf.
Having said that, I do think it would be nice to have a few SC in northern lower peninsula. I hope, (but doubt) the Clare location will be a V3 as there isn't a whole lot around the area as I remember.
I didn't know there was one TC, (cause I'm too lazy to look), and I thought there was talk from Tesla of putting one in Mac City?

Michigan does have a 80mph speed limit when you're keeping with the flow of traffic. Michigan is known for it's citizens doing above the posted limits. I am constantly driving by MSP doing 5-10 over and have never been pulled over. If I wanted tot do 65 everywhere, I'd have bought a Leaf.
My wife is from Michigan, so I'm familiar with how prevalent speeding is there. However, the point still remains that if you are needing to stretch a long distance and extend the range, you need to drive slower for more efficiency, and arguing with physics isn't going to help you, so that might be a time to ease off the speeding. And no, joining other people in speeding is not called the "speed limit".

I'm obviously not trying to be uptight finger-wagging of telling you to always stay within speed limits, but just being pragmatic to point out that whining about getting bad efficiency while doing it is ridiculous.

Having said that, I do think it would be nice to have a few SC in northern lower peninsula. I hope, (but doubt) the Clare location will be a V3 as there isn't a whole lot around the area as I remember.
I didn't know there was one TC, (cause I'm too lazy to look), and I thought there was talk from Tesla of putting one in Mac City?

Well maybe you can take a look at this map or supercharge.info when you are feeling less lazy. Michigan has done very well in the last year in both additions and planned charging locations. Not sure if one could really ask for more in lower Michigan once Mackinaw City, Clare, and Swartz Creek are completed(grey). There are states that have none or very few.

Charger Map.PNG