Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Update on replacing OEM 12v lead-acid battery with lithium?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla (unlike every other ICE car I've ever heard of) actually has a system to monitor voltage and detect when the battery is on it's way out long before it actually fails, in most cases.
Every Honda made in the last several years with auto idle stop, for example, measures the internal resistance of the battery each time the vehicle is turned on and constantly monitors voltage. This is done so the auto idle stop feature can be disabled if the battery may not be strong enough to restart the engine. If the battery is judged to be degraded, the auto idle stop feature will be disabled and a warning message will appear.

Every Honda made in the last several years with auto idle stop, for example, measures the internal resistance of the battery each time the vehicle is turned on and constantly monitors voltage. This is done so the auto idle stop feature can be disabled if the battery may not be strong enough to restart the engine. If the battery is judged to be degraded, the auto idle stop feature will be disabled and a warning message will appear.
Of everything I said.. that's the part you chose to focus on? People are weird about trying to discredit others on this forum. So one manufacturer has a similar feature that Tesla has had for a decade now. Cool. Still doesn't negate the more important aspects of my post.

You know how I know you live in California?
You read my location over on the left column?

Try living in the Midwest. There is no "advance warning" on a 12v battery on it's way out. You typically find out one morning when you go out to start your car when the weather is below 0 degrees to find it won't turn over. That's a typical "warning" on a 12v battery failure in all parts of the country other than Southern California. Speaking first hand from owning literally dozens of ICE cars up until about 6 or so years ago... this sucks.

Tesla (unlike every other ICE car I've ever heard of) actually has a system to monitor voltage and detect when the battery is on it's way out long before it actually fails, in most cases. Rarely do 12v batteries fail instantly but it can happen and there's no detection for these types of failure in any forward propulsion type.

I would disagree with this for the astute observer but for the average car owner you are correct. Every ICE I have had you could hear the starter struggling as the battery degrades ESPECIALLY as the weather starts to turn. I spend a lot of time in the mountains and when it starts to get cold is when you notice this happening. I would always drive down to the auto parts store, have them test my battery, and if it failed get it replaced. In most ICE cars there is no warning system, on new ICE cars they are starting to be more ubiquitous.

In my case my lead acid Tesla battery gave me no warning.

When it comes to low voltage, there's no question that Teslas are better than every other ICE car made. This is also due in large part that the requirements are nill for a 12v battery in a Tesla. It needs only to operate the contacts, screens, stereo, blinkers, wipers and all other accessories. There's no demand for massive amperage to physically turn over an internal combustion engine which takes massive amounts of juice. Especially in cold weather. Hence why CCW are the primary metric that separate batteries. CCW don't even apply to Teslas. It's meaningless.
I'm mixed on this response, it's a very different application. In a Tesla you need the 12V to be operational at all times. On an ICE you really just need the 12V to provide very limited power when the car is off. Then huge amounts of Cold Cranking Amps to start the car. Then the alternator takes over when the car is running to constantly recharge the 12V. Lead Acid batteries are a good fit for ICE application. The Tesla theoretically charges the 12V lead acid battery when the contactors to the high voltage battery are connected but in reality it just degrades the lead acid batteries faster. Hence why all new Teslas now have LiIon 12V batteries.

This should tell you all you know and is also a massive reason why Ohmmu is worthless despite their marketing efforts. Your blinkers will not work better with an Ohmmu so don't be the gullible person who falls for their marketing BS because none of it applies to Teslas.
While I agree with you that Ohmmu is crap, I would argue the Tesla LiIon 12V bettery is a excellent and fits the application much better than lead acid. It isn't the technology of the Ohmmu that is so bad it is the application of the technology that they failed at. Just look for a tear down video of the Ohmmu on YouTube, it is grade school science fair quality in there.

Huh. I've never had a gas car that had the capability of giving any kind of warning that the 12V was going bad. It just doesn't work one day. Maybe I wasn't buying fancy enough cars before.
Usually you get weird behavior from warning lights that actually have nothing to do with the battery, usually the ABS system, sometimes traction control when the 12V battery of an ICE car is getting weak. This is also how you know your 12V battery is getting weak on a Chevy Bolt...

Since even an ICE car has multiple computer systems now a days, some of them are more sensitive to voltage problems than the main ECU, when those computer systems start getting low voltage stuff goes haywire before the power is actually depleted enough to not crank over the engine and start it.

Keith

Last edited:
Reactions: Pianewman
Since even an ICE car has multiple computer systems now a days, some of them are more sensitive to voltage problems than the main ECU, when those computer systems start getting low voltage stuff goes haywire before the power is actually depleted enough to not crank over the engine and start it.

Saw that on my Edge where the sync system would start rebooting, or in their terms "Performing system maintenance" more than normal. Because it was "more than normal" I didn't realize that's what it was doing. After I replaced the 12V, I thought it was the reason, but I still can't be sure.

My 2020 LRMY still has the original Hankook Atlas lead-acid battery 12V. I test the 12V battery every 3 months, so far the 12V is OK.

When at home my Model Y is parked inside my garage, enters Sleep mode. Should the 12V battery fail to wake up my Model Y from Sleep mode I have a portable jump starter to power up the Tesla Model Y, then the power conversion system (PCS) would take over and provide power for the Tesla Model Y's low voltage systems.

When parked away from home I usually leave Sentry mode enabled. Much of this time my Model Y is charging using a public Level 2 charging station. My Tesla Model Y remains in Standby mode during the time that Sentry mode is enabled and while charging. It is unlikely that a failing 12V battery would prevent me from unlocking the Model Y and starting to drive.

If the 12V battery fails within the remainder of the 4 year standard warranty period I will contact Tesla Service to schedule a replacement of the 12V battery under the warranty. If the 12V battery lasts beyond the 4 year warranty period I will schedule a replacement of the 12V battery once I decide how much longer I will continue to own my 2020 LRMY.

Sometimes I carry a 9V battery in my pocket as insurance in case the 12V battery fails. The 9V battery would enable me to release, open the frunk. I store the jump starter in the frunk storage bin so it can be accessible if needed. Even the smallest capacity jump starter (estimate cost: $50 US) would be sufficient to power the Tesla Model Y's 12V systems for ~10 seconds, until the PCS begins providing 12V power.
I have gained tons of knowledge from your posts……so I am interested in how you use a 9v battery to open the frunk……

I have gained tons of knowledge from your posts……so I am interested in how you use a 9v battery to open the frunk……
Shown using a small A23 12V battery (my previous wireless doorbell button used this type battery) but also works with a common 9V battery. (Note: For security of the frunk, frunk bin contents this procedure will only activate the frunk release when the Tesla vehicle's 12V battery has failed.)

How to open the Tesla frunk when the 12V battery has failed

Been running EVs for over a decade now. The early Tesla drivetrain I had (Rav4) gave no warning until the car wouldn't start and if if went completely dead you risked bricking the car. My Model 3 has gone through 2 oem batteries. Both failing at 24 month on the number. Neither time did I have any warning. The car had to be jumped and/or I had to drive to the SC in another car to get a new battery. The 3rd time I went with the Ohmmu with dream of not getting stuck somewhere again. It has been a year and it hasn't failed yet. The BIG issue with the Ohmmu is lack of Tesla support. Tesla added a desulfation mode and it wrecks havoc with the Ohmmu, especially in the cold. The good news is that you get a notification and I am able to get it reset in about 30 seconds using software. The bad news is that it happens every so often. Updating the firmware on the battery is somewhat difficult and their is 0 hint that Tesla will support a 3rd party battery or allow a service toggle for desulfation.
If I could do it again I would have just replaced the 12v a third time and put a reminder in my phone 23 months out to replace the battery again. But in the meantime, it isn't a big enough hassle to warrant getting rid of it.

Reactions: pilotSteve
If you live near an O'Reilly's Auto Parts store they sell a 12V AGM battery in Group 51R that will fit the Model 3, Model Y with the + and - battery posts in the orientation to fit the Tesla 12V battery connectors. Someone on TMC installed one in their Model 3. I did not see a follow up post.

The Tesla OE 12V battery in the 2018 Model 3 is a maintenance free flooded lead acid design. Absorbent Glass Matt (AGM) batteries are also maintenance free. AGM type batteries are highly resistant to damage from vibration, won't freeze at temperatures that could freeze a flooded lead-acid battery. The charging protocol and float voltage of a 12V AGM battery are not the same as for the flooded lead-acid battery. Not sure how an AGM 12V would hold up when installed in the Tesla.

jcanoe: So, the AGM Group 51R will FIT, but you're unsure if it functions properly in a Tesla?

The question is: does a 12V AGM battery have a different charging protocol and float voltage compared to a flooded lead acid 12V?

Maybe you'd like to start a new thread, posing the question? ;)

jcanoe: So, the AGM Group 51R will FIT, but you're unsure if it functions properly in a Tesla?

The question is: does a 12V AGM battery have a different charging protocol and float voltage compared to a flooded lead acid 12V?

Maybe you'd like to start a new thread, posing the question? ;)
Definitely different for AGM. There is a risk of overcharging the AGM battery (depending on temperature) if the float voltage is too high. Also, AGM batteries require a higher initial charging voltage before the charging voltage is reduced. Tesla has revised the 12V battery charging parameters multiple times. I don't know what Tesla uses for the current iteration of the 12V lead-acid charging voltage.

This might be much ado about nothing. Years ago I installed an Optima 12V (AGM) replacement battery in my GM vehicle (designed for 12V lead-acid) and the Optima battery outlasted the OE lead-acid battery by 3:1.

The Tesla OE 12V lead-acid replacement battery is very reasonably priced. I just performed a conductance test on the original Hankook AtlasBX 12V lead-acid battery in my 2020 LRMY and the 12V tested good at 3.5 years. I may yet be proven wrong but I anticipate that the factory 12V in my 2020 LRMY will last beyond 4 years (the Tesla new vehicle warranty period).

Reactions: Pianewman