Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Update to the Supercharger network policies

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Much of the above discussion is predicated on your own local cost for motor fuel and electricity (day or night, solar or not), your past/current experience with an ICE vehicle (vehicle fuel economy/cost per mile), etc. In NoCA, with PG&E, if you charge at peak rates you pay $0.35-0.40/kwH, and off peak (overnight) you pay $0.11/kWh (TOU plan). For me, overnight means I pay about $1.00 for 30 miles of driving. Premium fuel in the SF Bay Area was at one point over $4.00/gallon, now down to about $3.00/gallon (...and will probably go down as the world oil glut increases). You do the math for an equivalent MPG/$ per mile. There is clearly a $$/pain point for many current and future Tesla owners who only focus on cost/mile (cost of fuel). it never ceases to amaze me that at the local Dublin supercharger (usually delivering the highest or 2nd highest number of kW/day of all Superchargers if you look at the Supercharger map on the wall) there are locals who are hogging spots or topping up (...and note that construction is currently underway to add several more stalls to a current 12 stall (plus the existing 3 or 4 HPWC) setup). Tesla clearly knows who is charging up (by VIN), when, where, etc. Like it or not, the system as planned will help all of the above. Is the expected 'pain' of paying some $$ to drive longer distances (exceeding 1000 miles/year) worse than the current pain of overcrowded/abused superchargers? Not for me. YMMV.
JPP although I agree with most of what you are saying I never found that SC congestion anywhere but in California. I absolutely hate it when Companies write rules and change policy based on less than 10% of the population. I understand that in a forum people have their right to voice their opinion, however I don't believe the comments in this forum accurately represents "the masses". People use this forum to voice complaints and opinion as do I, however I hope Tesla used raw numbers to make this decision - IF the decision had anything to do with congestion. It does not state that congestion was a part of their decision to make this change.

Reactions: Red Sage
Also true. I was trying to keep it down to the simple cost to "fill up".

But yes, once I get past the initial cost of having a NEMA 14-50 installed, it will definitely tilt heavily in the BEVs favor, especially if gas goes back up towards $3/gallon
LOL...it would be a shame for Tesla owners and potential owners to vote for higher gas prices - in order to justify their Tesla purchases, however I think there may be some that do and/or will.

LOL...it would be a shame for Tesla owners and potential owners to vote for higher gas prices - in order to justify their Tesla purchases, however I think there may be some that do and/or will.

But voting using THAT logic would also set back our national policies regarding renewable energy and the potential tax credits that come with it back by decades.

But thanks to the Electoral College, the Commonwealth of Massachusetts' electoral votes are already spoken for, regardless if you agree with the local majority, or are in the minority.

As long as I get at least some of the federal tax credit, I'll be ok.

I would hope that Elon looks at things the way I do. Currently in the US, the EPA uses these amounts as average costs of gasoline per gallon:

$2.20 Regular
$2.45 Midgrade
$2.68 Premium​

Since they also list the energy content of a gallon of gasoline at 33.7 kWh...? That means that a gallon of Premium fuel would correspond to 7.95 cents per kWh as the National average. Here in Los Angeles, Premium fuel is more like $3.20 per gallon, or 9.49 cents per kWh. But in actuality, the EPA uses a National average of 13 cents per kWh in their calculations. So anything less than that would suffice.

Where Tesla has to be careful is that they should only 'sell' their electricity in California. That would allow them to sidestep the laws and regulations that might require they become a utility in other States. Buying access to a cellular network in California still grants you access to the same network in New York, typically. So, buying access to the Supercharger network in California should not cause restricted access elsewhere.

Like what though? The biggest thing he could do for this is get fully autonomous driving approved so that our cars can leave at 1AM to charge when rates are low.

Allowing bulk discounts on Supercharger credits?

Buy 500kWh, get 100 free?

Don't know. Remember, renters and apartment dwellers are a largely new demographic to Tesla.

In the spirit of today being election day: email, tweet, etc to Tesla to ensure your voice is heard.

Allowing bulk discounts on Supercharger credits?

Buy 500kWh, get 100 free?

Don't know. Remember, renters and apartment dwellers are a largely new demographic to Tesla.

In the spirit of today being election day: email, tweet, etc to Tesla to ensure your voice is heard.
What I'm expecting is that rates will be lower by location and/or time. Until cars drive themselves there, how many will be using a supercharger at 2AM? They can lower rates due to idle stations and lower electric costs, both.

What I'm expecting is that rates will be lower by location and/or time. Until cars drive themselves there, how many will be using a supercharger at 2AM? They can lower rates due to idle stations and lower electric costs, both.

Ahh, depends on the location of the charger, yes.

Because: say I'm on a long-distance trip through your town and need a half hour at the SC to continue on my way.....but I can't, because the locals are there topping off.

(In this scenario, it is late at night, as that's typically the easiest time to make our trip from MA to VA without getting slammed in Hartford, NYC, Philly, Baltimore, DC, or Richmond.)

There's going to have to be something else. Maybe a surcharge for charging too close to home?

Remember: no other auto manufacturer feels any sense of obligation to put gas stations close to your home, or put a gas pump at your home....why should Tesla provide any more local charging solutions than they already have?

EDIT: I know it's an unpopular opinion, but it's true. If you owned a diesel, but the nearest diesel-pumping gas station was 200 miles away, you would find another means of transportation.

If you can't get onboard with the new thought process of charging your car at home, like you would your phone, you shouldn't be dumping all of your eggs in that basket until you can handle your business. It's not Tesla's responsibility to bring you the electrons, hence why we're all going to be paying now.

Last edited:
I would hope that Elon looks at things the way I do. Currently in the US, the EPA uses these amounts as average costs of gasoline per gallon:

$2.20 Regular
$2.45 Midgrade
$2.68 Premium​

Since they also list the energy content of a gallon of gasoline at 33.7 kWh...? That means that a gallon of Premium fuel would correspond to 7.95 cents per kWh as the National average. Here in Los Angeles, Premium fuel is more like $3.20 per gallon, or 9.49 cents per kWh. But in actuality, the EPA uses a National average of 13 cents per kWh in their calculations. So anything less than that would suffice.

Where Tesla has to be careful is that they should only 'sell' their electricity in California. That would allow them to sidestep the laws and regulations that might require they become a utility in other States. Buying access to a cellular network in California still grants you access to the same network in New York, typically. So, buying access to the Supercharger network in California should not cause restricted access elsewhere.
No one looks at things this way, since the lower operating costs of an EV largely falls on efficiency differences. There is no production car that gets 100 mpg EPA on gasoline. Tesla only promised it would cost less than an equivalent gasoline car to fuel, not that the electricity would be priced the same as gasoline on an energy basis. An equivalent premium/luxury gasoline car would probably top out around 30 mpg. That means roughly $0.20-0.25 per kWh.

Prove that you have the inability to charge YOUR Tesla at home - receive SC coupons on your ONLINE account. For example....

That would be one way to do it.

Another way may be for Tesla to take a "big data deep dive" into who has reserved Model 3's. Look at the home ownership percentages in the area and plan accordingly. Maybe instead of Supercharger access, Tesla builds out something I'll call "City chargers". People who live in the area subscribe/buy credits and get access to safe and secure lots with destination charger-like setups for a few nights per week or month.

Superchargers are supposed to be for long-distance travel. We'll see what they come up with. They have roughly a year before the issue begins to bubble up.

I'm trying to think of a new feature that they have that will cost the same exact thing as the baked in SC cost - whatever that is..
I think the point is that Tesla will preserve their profit margin. At 15,000 units per year, Tesla will have sold through 11 years worth of Model S by the end of 2016, only 4-1/2 years after its introduction. At 20,000 units per year, they will have sold through 8-1/4 years worth of cars in the same time frame. They have basically included the DC Fast Charging hardware on all of those cars. So it has paid for itself in full long ago, once you consider the Model S was meant to have an 8 year product cycle. And the economies of scale will only improve as DC Fast Charging hardware is included on Model ☰ and presumably Model Y as well. It seems to me that Tesla wants to make sure that Generation II and Generation III vehicles are handled the same way for Supercharger access going forward. Beyond the April 1, 2017 Delivery deadline. I expect the value added features for Model S over Model ☰ will be in both base capacity and maximum capacity on battery packs. Ultimately, the baked in cost for Generation II vehicles is a much lower percentage of overall product pricing than it would be on the Generation III cars, and the Model S will not go down in price at all.

JPP although I agree with most of what you are saying I never found that SC congestion anywhere but in California. I absolutely hate it when Companies write rules and change policy based on less than 10% of the population. I understand that in a forum people have their right to voice their opinion, however I don't believe the comments in this forum accurately represents "the masses". People use this forum to voice complaints and opinion as do I, however I hope Tesla used raw numbers to make this decision - IF the decision had anything to do with congestion. It does not state that congestion was a part of their decision to make this change.
Agreed. I stand by the notion that Tesla prefers to encourage Supercharger use. Certain measures that some put forth with the intent to discourage Supercharger use may in fact have the opposite effect, causing the very lines and delays they are afraid of experiencing. Popular routes and popular sites will always be busier than some would prefer, but that is not necessarily a problem that all must endure a 'fix' for.

That would be one way to do it.

Another way may be for Tesla to take a "big data deep dive" into who has reserved Model 3's. Look at the home ownership percentages in the area and plan accordingly. Maybe instead of Supercharger access, Tesla builds out something I'll call "City chargers". People who live in the area subscribe/buy credits and get access to safe and secure lots with destination charger-like setups for a few nights per week or month.

Superchargers are supposed to be for long-distance travel. We'll see what they come up with. They have roughly a year before the issue begins to bubble up.
Yep, its percolating. Just a simmer right now.

No one looks at things this way, since the lower operating costs of an EV largely falls on efficiency differences. There is no production car that gets 100 mpg EPA on gasoline. Tesla only promised it would cost less than an equivalent gasoline car to fuel, not that the electricity would be priced the same as gasoline on an energy basis. An equivalent premium/luxury gasoline car would probably top out around 30 mpg. That means roughly $0.20-0.25 per kWh.
I gathered these numbers yesterday, to make a point on another thread, but they may work here too...

2017 Toyota Camry
$23,070
178 HP
27 MPG
459 miles
17 gallons
3240 lbs
16" wheels

2017 BMW 320i
180 HP
28 MPG
15.8 gallons
442 miles
3370 lbs
17" wheels​

These two cars are perennial leaders of their respective automotive classes. I expect the Tesla Model ☰ will compare well to both of them in base trim. It really depends upon what one means by 'fill up' too, doesn't it? Most people I know start saying they 'need to stop for gas' with 1/4 tank remaining. With these cars, that would be with around 111 to 115 miles range remaining. With a Model ☰ that might be with as little as 54 miles range left to go. But instead of adding about ~340 miles of range at the pump, the Model ☰ might add only 160 or so. Would we go by how much it costs to add 160 miles to a gasoline car, or by how much it would cost to add 340 miles? I would expect the number in favor of the EV to be less, either way.

Reactions: Garlan Garner
Ahh, depends on the location of the charger, yes.

Because: say I'm on a long-distance trip through your town and need a half hour at the SC to continue on my way.....but I can't, because the locals are there topping off.

(In this scenario, it is late at night, as that's typically the easiest time to make our trip from MA to VA without getting slammed in Hartford, NYC, Philly, Baltimore, DC, or Richmond.)

There's going to have to be something else. Maybe a surcharge for charging too close to home?

Remember: no other auto manufacturer feels any sense of obligation to put gas stations close to your home, or put a gas pump at your home....why should Tesla provide any more local charging solutions than they already have?

EDIT: I know it's an unpopular opinion, but it's true. If you owned a diesel, but the nearest diesel-pumping gas station was 200 miles away, you would find another means of transportation.

If you can't get onboard with the new thought process of charging your car at home, like you would your phone, you shouldn't be dumping all of your eggs in that basket until you can handle your business. It's not Tesla's responsibility to bring you the electrons, hence why we're all going to be paying now.
That's just demand management and they can design algorithms around it. Once more autonomous features are unlocked, it's very possible that there will be a queue of 30 cars at supercharging stations. They coordinate the line among themselves always leaving 1 spot available for people driving through.

I don't think it's going to be that bad.

As for why should Tesla? Because it's needed to make EV's more common and easy to switch to. It's the right thing, but others haven't done it.

The place I differ is that this is a much safer business (to sell electricity at charging stations) than to design and build cars. They should price it in a way to turn a profit and make it so that Tesla Charging could be spun off into it's own publicly traded firm some day. It would be a benefit for shareholders.