Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Update to the Supercharger network policies

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If this is the model which will continue on into the Model 3 I'll be pleasantly surprised.

I figured that it would be a 2 tier option. Either pay for unlimited charging or pure pay to charge, no free credits.

This 400KWh free is a bonus in my point of view.

It should definitely be prepay for unlimited access, or pay per use. I mean everyone who already has a Tesla paid ~$2k for unlimited use, so its technically not free for them.

Sounds like the sweet spot is the delivery of a AP2 Tesla before 2017. I am happy that the founding 150,000 Tesla owners will retain free supercharging.

Again its not free more like unlimited use but definitely not free. The real question is, what happens when one of those 150,000 owners decides to upgrade? Do they lose their "unlimited" access just because they purchased a newer car?

I think the only way that this system works is if the following holds true:

1) They Increase the amount given when you purchase at least 3K miles worth

2) Supercharging access is applied to your Tesla Account NOT to your specific vehicle, allowing existing owners to be able to keep their unlimited status regardless of how many Tesla they have. This will be a reward for early adopters for paving the way, and allow them to comfortably upgrade or expand their Tesla cars without having to worry about "Oh wait we have to take the X because the S and the 3 have limited access".

3) The cost for supercharging is not an impediment. The value proposition of "Free Long Distance Travel" was a major selling point for Tesla, and by actually charging to charge ;) puts the value proposition in jeopardy especially when other competitors arise both with EV's and a fast charging infrastructure.

Reactions: SwisSojourners
My idea of a "small fee" to supercharge after the annual 400KW is something like $3 for a full charge up.

Supercharging cannot cost a little less, or even just half the cost of a tank of gas. It has to be WAY cheaper, otherwise what's the point of buying an EV?

It'll be more than half a tank of gas on a "comparable" car which would likely be a BMW 330i with 27 mpg combined city/highway. I wouldn't be surprised at 20-25 cents per kWh. If your only reason to buy a model 3 was "free" charging, then with the recent news, you're going to need find a different car.

wow. that's high.
20-25 cents per kWh on average is what I'm expecting too (some states lower, some higher depending on local electricity costs). That's low for public ala carte DC charging (eVgo works out to be 40-45 cents per kWh, Blink is $0.40-$.69/kWh depending on which state you are in).

Not sure why people would expect lower: 20-25 cents splits out to 10-15 cents for commercial electricity including demand charges, and around 10 cents for maintenance, lease, and other ongoing costs.