Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Update to the Supercharger network policies

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You could remind them that supercharging was originally advertised for the life of the vehicle.

Someone on another thread pointed out that the actual phrase used is "for the life of your Tesla vehicle", and Tesla could be taking that completely literally in that a CPO isn't the original owners vehicle anymore.

IMG_0300.jpg

So here we are, with less than 5 days left in the year, and we still don't know for sure if Teslas bought this year would have their "free lifetime" Supercharging access benefit transfer over to a new owner that bought the vehicle privately from the first owner sometime next year?? That is crazy.

So here we are, with less than 5 days left in the year, and we still don't know for sure if Teslas bought this year would have their "free lifetime" Supercharging access benefit transfer over to a new owner that bought the vehicle privately from the first owner sometime next year?? That is crazy.
it doesnt matter anyway.
Electricity for your vehicle is about 1/4 the cost of gas, based on 3 years of PHEV driving, others may vary.

TANSTAAFL
(There aint no such thing as a free lunch)
(but we can get you discounts if you drive an EV)

Electricity for your vehicle is about 1/4 the cost of gas, based on 3 years of PHEV driving, others may vary.

I feel like the YMMV comment here is important. I believed that "charging" would cost less than "gas" too, until I ran the numbers:

Where I live in CA the rates are pretty complicated, but the default is E1 [1] (Tiered) at $0.18, then $0.24, then $0.40 per kWh and it's not hard to get to $0.40/kWh during the month. You can switch to EV1 [2] (TOU) but then it's $0.44 at peak, $0.24 part-peak and $0.116 off-peak (11pm-7am) -- so any daytime usage for the house is very expensive.. if you can shift your lifestyle to operate electrical items during off-peak then it can be cheaper.

Using Tesla's calculator[3], it costs $39.48 to add 300 miles. Currently I drive a Plug-In Prius which gets 50MPG for the ICE side, which ends up being < $0.06/mile or ~$16.80 for 300 miles.

So going all-electric would more than double the "fuel" cost of my transportation. To state it again:

$39.48 per 300 miles for BEV
$16.80 per 300 miles for PHEV

I can currently charge "for free" at work which makes the BEV approach at least look neutral, but I'm not sure how to make the numbers work for the rest of the family if they want to go electric.

For reference:
[1] E1 Rate Plan: https://www.pge.com/tariffs/tm2/pdf/ELEC_SCHEDS_E-1.pdf
[2] EV1 Rate Plan: http://www.pge.com/tariffs/tm2/pdf/ELEC_SCHEDS_EV.pdf
[3] Tesla calculator: Tesla Charging | Tesla

Reactions: Galve2000 and mmd
I feel like the YMMV comment here is important. I believed that "charging" would cost less than "gas" too, until I ran the numbers:

Where I live in CA the rates are pretty complicated, but the default is E1 [1] (Tiered) at $0.18, then $0.24, then $0.40 per kWh and it's not hard to get to $0.40/kWh during the month. You can switch to EV1 [2] (TOU) but then it's $0.44 at peak, $0.24 part-peak and $0.116 off-peak (11pm-7am) -- so any daytime usage for the house is very expensive.. if you can shift your lifestyle to operate electrical items during off-peak then it can be cheaper.

Using Tesla's calculator[3], it costs $39.48 to add 300 miles. Currently I drive a Plug-In Prius which gets 50MPG for the ICE side, which ends up being < $0.06/mile or ~$16.80 for 300 miles.

So going all-electric would more than double the "fuel" cost of my transportation. To state it again:

$39.48 per 300 miles for BEV
$16.80 per 300 miles for PHEV

I can currently charge "for free" at work which makes the BEV approach at least look neutral, but I'm not sure how to make the numbers work for the rest of the family if they want to go electric.

For reference:
[1] E1 Rate Plan: https://www.pge.com/tariffs/tm2/pdf/ELEC_SCHEDS_E-1.pdf
[2] EV1 Rate Plan: http://www.pge.com/tariffs/tm2/pdf/ELEC_SCHEDS_EV.pdf
[3] Tesla calculator: Tesla Charging | Tesla

...the secret is solar...without solar, the PG&E EV-A/EV-B rates are killer if you use any energy during the day.

Reactions: Topher
@Indpowr said here that he was told by Tesla that CPO's will not have free supercharging starting Jan. 1:

I am mad with Tesla trade in

If it applies to CPOs, it must also apply to private sales.
Not at all. When Tesla owns the car it can do whatever it wants to with it in preparing to sell it as a CPO, as long as it's clear to the buyer what's included or not. That's not the case with private sales as Tesla isn't a party to that transaction.

...the secret is solar...without solar, the PG&E EV-A/EV-B rates are killer if you use any energy during the day.

I haven't run the numbers on solar, but it seems like it amounts to prepaying some/most of the fuel cost.

~$25K for solar install / $39.48 per 300 miles ("full charge") = 633 full charges, or about 12 years of "prepaid fuel" at one charge per week.

I know it's just a back of the napkin swag, but still.

Aren't CA M3 customers going to run the numbers and figure out that they should buy a 50MPG hybrid instead, solar or no solar?

Reactions: mmd
I'm not sure that it "must". Tesla is not involved in the transaction of a private sale, so they would have to reach out after the fact to disable a feature that presumably influenced the transaction price. Seems dicey at best.

Perhaps "must" is too strong because you are correct in that we do not know for certain. But I don't see it as being difficult at all to disable it without Tesla reaching out, since who wants to own a Tesla without using the app? So new owners will come to Tesla. Of course, people will try work-arounds, as always happens, but I don't see Tesla only making CPO's without free supercharging if they didn't intend it for every used vehicle. That's just a way to drive down the price of CPO's -- if they can even sell any compared to a private one with free supercharging. Plus, as I said before, as these cars age and become "cheap" they will appeal to people with a supercharger down the street, and others who only plan to use superchargers, and that's a recipe for disaster for Tesla and long distance travel. I've predicted all along after Jan 1/17 new owners will not have free supercharging whether buying new or used.

Again, only time will tell and it won't be long now until we find out. But there's no issue in my mind.