Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Update to the Supercharger network policies

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hope the idle charge is applicable only in places and/or at times of heavy use.
For example, It would be annoying having to disrupt your dinner at Taxes Roadhouse in Coeur d'Alene and run out to disconnect your car.
Strongly disagree. The rules should be the same everywhere. When the car is done charging you move it.

I hope the idle charge is applicable only in places and/or at times of heavy use.
For example, It would be annoying having to disrupt your dinner at Taxes Roadhouse in Coeur d'Alene and run out to disconnect your car. This would be more difficult to implement but avoiding unneeded annoyances would be worth it.
No, this violates the KISS principle. If Tesla starts charging for overstaying your welcome at a supercharging stall (yea!), it should be uniform everywhere. Not a big deal to move your car to a parking space if the car finishes filling up long before you do.

I really like the idle charge idea. And in respect of henceforth "charging for charging" for newly sold cars, I can also very well understand. The one thing Tesla should however tomorrow do, is be clear on whether "free" supercharging for pre-2017 cars will stay with the car regardless of owner (that could also be an incentive for 2016 Q4 sales, of course). As I mentioned earlier (post 317):

Formerly, the transferability of lifelong free Supercharging was so obvious that it wasn't even worth questioning. June 2013, Q&A on Tesla's website: "How much does it cost to use the Supercharger? Supercharging is free for the life of Model S, once the Supercharger option is enabled". And : "Will it always be free? Yes, Superchargers will be free to use for Supercharging-enabled vehicles for the life of Model S".

So either Tesla confirms this or it eats its words clarifies that this will no longer be the case. Either way, Tesla should communicate on this quickly.

• Disagree
Reactions: Topher and Troy
You're very probably right if Q4 sales were the only good reason to communicate on this :) Now if there is one thing I would dare credit Tesla with, then that would be thinking much longer term than next quarter results (even if Tesla also has to play that game somewhat).

... is be clear on whether "free" supercharging for pre-2017 cars will stay ...
Why? The car is sold with "Free unlimited charging at supercharger (for the life of the car)", and Tesla has not said anything about changing any currently running deals. So, if you got a car with this, the car will continue to have it as long it exists. The one possible exception is if you (or someone else) sells it back to Tesla, then Telsa owns it and may do whatever they may want to - including removing the "unlimited" part of the deal - before they sell it off as a CPO.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Why? The car is sold with "Free unlimited charging at supercharger (for the life of the car)", and Tesla has not said anything about changing any currently running deals. So, if you got a car with this, the car will continue to have it as long it exists. The one possible exception is if you (or someone else) sells it back to Tesla, then Telsa owns it and may do whatever they may want to - including removing the "unlimited" part of the deal - before they sell it off as a CPO.
why are everyone's knickers in a twist over the end of free unlimited charging at superchargers?
You can/will get free 400kWh/yr under new proposed rules
When you were driving a fossil fuel car did you expect free fuel if you took a long trip?
Get over it
Your electricity is much less than 1/2 or even 1/4 to cost of fossil fuel, even if you have to pay all of it, and if you have Photovoltaic panels it can be virtually free for local driving.
"k'wit 'chur 'bitchin'"

why are everyone's knickers in a twist over the end of free unlimited charging at superchargers?
What have I done to deserve this? I have nothing - absolutely nothing - against the change in policy about the supercharger network. I think it was absolutely the right thing to do. So why this post adressed to me?

What I was talking about here is NOT the change in policy for the new cars that is sold after new years eve. What Carl asked for is what about when a current car *with* "free unlimited" access is sold? Will Tesla then revoke the deal it was sold under? And I said no, they can not do that, and nothing they have published even hints about any change to any currently running deals.

What I was talking about here is NOT the change in policy for the new cars that is sold after new years eve. What Carl asked for is what about when a current car *with* "free unlimited" access is sold? Will Tesla then revoke the deal it was sold under? And I said no, they can not do that, and nothing they have published even hints about any change to any currently running deals.

I don't think Tesla will revoke the right to lifetime free superchargers of older cars. There is a chance that they will, and I am not here to argue the legality of Tesla stripping a car of the free supercharging once it is sold to a new owner, but I personally do not think it will happen.

I don't think there are enough cars in the wild to warrant such action. it would create a ton off ill-will IMHO, and not worth it.

but I do not know the specific numbers, so I too am only speculating here.

What have I done to deserve this? I have nothing - absolutely nothing - against the change in policy about the supercharger network. I think it was absolutely the right thing to do. So why this post adressed to me?

it was addressed to folks in general here, not necessarily you. i have seen/read folks complaining here about end of free fuel/supercharging and just replied to end comment in the chain
apologies if i posted incorrectly

@Sharkbait, excellent video to demonstrate the issue. At 1:36 he talks about people leaving their cars at the supercharger all day long. I see that 500K watched it.

@diamond.g, they didn't pick the hotel. They were invited by youtube.

Maybe Tesla should build lots of city superchargers and exclude them from the free for life plan. After all, when free supercharging was advertised, the website said it was for free long distance travel. Elon talked about city superchargers in the past. Listen HERE after 34:45.

Something we are doing in China, another possibility is we're putting Superchargers in cities, not just between cities. This is obviously important in places like, you know, Beijing, Shanghai, London, San Francisco, New York, where at times people may have a challenge with having a fixed parking space. The first part maybe the wiring thing it’s more like some of those people don't have a definitive parking space, they might have street parking or something. London is particularly tricky one where there's – it’s got lot of high-end neighborhoods that just have street parking.

What he said here never actually materialized probably because they realized it would cost too much money if they pay for people's daily commute. However, now that a payment system will be in place for idle fees, there is no reason why they couldn't build city superchargers everybody has to pay for including those on the free for life plan. If they wait until the percentage of free for life users drops to reasonable levels, they will have to wait until 2019.

Why didn't he stay at a hotel with destination charging and charge overnight? Then he wouldn't have had to wait before being able to leave on his trip (or am I missing something?).

Normally, and if you leave the L.A. area at a decent time, one can do the trip to St George, Utah in a day - no sweat. I think he charged at Barstow, then at Primm, NV (stateline between CA and NV). Then he topped up in Las Vegas. I don't know, maybe there was some compelling reason for trying to do the trip in one day. Anyone that wants to keep his sanity never, ever leaves L.A. for Vegas on a Friday in the late afternoon. Also, I didn't catch what model he was driving.

But you are right. The night before I leave on a trip, I charge to about 80%. The next morning, I wake up a little early and top up to 100% just before pulling out of my garage. I would then top up in Barstow and once again at Primm, NV. After topping up at Primm, you can bypass stopping in Vegas and make it to St. George. Actually, depending where you live in the L.A. area, one can make it to Primm, NV on a single charge (in a S85 or above). Driving up the Cajon Pass (to >4,000' elev.) hammers the battery. He mentioned his car was a few years old, so I suspect he was driving a 60.

But all this really has nothing to do with the current situation and issue, which is only going to get worse quickly if more SC'ers aren't built and people keep "parking" in charging stalls.

• Informative
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Sorry if this has been said before... I skimmed this and other threads on the subject and didn't notice:

I think Tesla should impose a fee (perhaps a higher fee) on Superchargers within a certain radius of the car's registered address. Then leave Superchargers further afield free for S and X owners (as a perk for buying a premium car) and charge a more nominal fee for the 3. This would go a long way to eliminating congestion by "locals" just there for the free juice, but still enable long distance travel.

In Canada, Tesla is very unlikely to charge by the kWh (long story) and will have to charge by the minute. If they just charge for every minute the car is plugged in, charging or not, that is all that's needed in terms of an "idle" fee.

In Canada, Tesla is very unlikely to charge by the kWh (long story) and will have to charge by the minute. If they just charge for every minute the car is plugged in, charging or not, that is all that's needed in terms of an "idle" fee.

No, I think the "idle" fee needs to be at least double the charging fee. (After a reasonable grace period.)