Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Update to the Supercharger network policies

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And if people try to be a true asshole and disconnect the car from the SC while leaving their car in the spot to avoid idling fees, then other drivers who need the SC can report the car to have it promptly towed.
or just get people to change behavior
Do YOU take reusable grocery bags to the grocery store?
If so, how long did it take you to change your behavior?
changing behavior is a continuous process

or just get people to change behavior
Do YOU take reusable grocery bags to the grocery store?
If so, how long did it take you to change your behavior?
changing behavior is a continuous process
I guess I'm an "early adopter" for grocery bags since I've been reusing them since the 1980s when the stores in my area started allowing and encouraging it. At one point some years ago I figured that I had saved about 5000 bags; I'd guess it is considerably more than that now. Each shopping trip might be a trivial savings in bags but it adds up over time and the reduction in waste is considerable. Grabbing my bag of reusable bags from the car when heading into a store became a reflexive action for me decades ago. It is such a simple thing that I don't really understand why more people don't do it.

So, yes, Tesla does need to get people to change behavior and charging a well-publicized idle fee ought to be quite effective IMHO.

Elon tweeted that the policy will be modified for stations that are "virtually deserted" so it won't apply at non-congested stations.

This is something I'd worried about a bit. Usually when I travel between Toronto and Chicago, I'm lucky to see even one other car at the stations I use. We will run inside for lunch or a coffee, and often the car will finish before we are done eating. It's not there long after finishing, but certainly more than the 5 minute threshold.

Reactions: GSP and Saghost
Elon tweeted that the policy will be modified for stations that are "virtually deserted" so it won't apply at non-congested stations.

This is something I'd worried about a bit. Usually when I travel between Toronto and Chicago, I'm lucky to see even one other car at the stations I use. We will run inside for lunch or a coffee, and often the car will finish before we are done eating. It's not there long after finishing, but certainly more than the 5 minute threshold.

Yeah, I was thinking I'd have to leave the charge limit at 100% to avoid an unexpected fee at an empty charger.

Great! Finally! This is a long time in coming (although not as long as charging for SuperChargers and some other things Tesla has finally done).

By the way, I think "1 minute" (60 seconds) is too short of a period to disconnect. For the time that the notification gets sent to my computing systems, to the time I open it up to see what alert it is, to the time it takes for me to put down what I'm holding without spilling or dropping it, to the time it takes to reposition the seat to have enough room to squeeze into a jacket or coat, to the time it takes to get out of the car (reaching over to the various handles without impaling myself or the car), and then orient myself toward where the charger connector is, go over to it, press the button, wait for the light, and pull it out, I think this could very very often be over one minute. That has already ate about 1.5 minutes into the "5 minute waive" budget.

Let's say all of that happened plus something like asking for a check for a meal or paying for the current cart full worth of goods: while this would minimize your wait time to around 10 minutes, then you get hit with a $4 charge, all while dropping everything to go see a car that was probably rate-limited to some speed in the current setups.

Finally, I would like a notification on the phone 10 minutes before it has completed. I'll try to see if Remote S app has this feature, and if TeslaFi could implement it: that way, I can wrap up what I'm doing and get there quickly. I'd like it to know how far I am from my car (GPS) and how long it would take to walk there, and add a variable amount of settable time, which I would have at 5 minutes for restaurant and 10 minutes for Home Depot or Wells Fargo, probably 15 minutes for Safeway or Target and 20 minutes for Chase Bank. 5-10 minutes is usually enough to wrap up anything I'm doing and get to walking. Add the wrap-up time, walking time, and unplug time, then the notification should go out before it has completed by that amount of time. Remote S? TeslaFi? Any takers? A new app? This is a real money maker, since you'll be saving $X every time. The first time someone is hit with a $5 SuperCharger idle wait time fee, they'll buy the app. Hand over fist money. Hmm, if I had the skills to do it within a week (I probably could do it in 3, actually, since I'd have to learn Apple app programming and Google walk map API) and didn't have a day job (I unfortunately do), I'd do it now.

Finally, I would like a notification on the phone 10 minutes before it has completed. I'll try to see if Remote S app has this feature. I'd like it to know how far I am from my car (GPS) and how long it would take to walk there, and add a variable amount of settable time.
The Tesla official app already notifies you when your charge is at 80% complete (if charging to 90%). But adding a GPS setting to calculate how far you are from the car and when you should leave your location will be something they don't currently do, and I'm willing to add that to my app if there are enough people interested in a feature like this.

It looks like Tesla has just removed supercharging from all CPO cars. I opened 10 random cars and none of them have supercharging listed anywhere. Yesterday, all CPO cars had supercharging as one of the features. Just to give you an example, here is a CPO car:
85 kWh Model S 5YJSA1CN6DFP22597 | Tesla

HERE is the Google cache version of the same page. Notice that this cached version says "Supercharger Enabled" under the listed features.

It looks like Tesla has just removed supercharging from all CPO cars. I opened 10 random cars and none of them have supercharging listed anywhere. Yesterday, all CPO cars had supercharging as one of the features. Just to give you an example, here is a CPO car:
85 kWh Model S 5YJSA1CN6DFP22597 | Tesla

HERE is the Google cache version of the same page. Notice that this cached version says "Supercharger Enabled" under the listed features.
I did notice, but thought I might just be remembering wrong. Also noticed the Calculate transportation fee feature which I noticed was as high as $5000.

Let me add a few more examples. Cached version says Supercharger Enabled. Live version doesn't mention supercharging anywhere. This change definitely happened today.

Live version: 85 kWh Performance Model S 5YJSA1DP5DFP21232 | Tesla
Cached version: 85 kWh Performance Model S 5YJSA1DP5DFP21232 | Tesla

Live version: 60 kWh Model S 5YJSA1CG7DFP20844 | Tesla
Cached version: 60 kWh Model S 5YJSA1CG7DFP20844 | Tesla

Live version: 85 kWh Model S 5YJSA1DN5DFP22041 | Tesla
Cached version: 85 kWh Model S 5YJSA1DN5DFP22041 | Tesla

Live version: 85 kWh Performance Model S 5YJSA1H10EFP37622 | Tesla
Cached version: 85 kWh Performance Model S 5YJSA1H10EFP37622 | Tesla

I did notice, but thought I might just be remembering wrong. Also noticed the Calculate transportation fee feature which I noticed was as high as $5000.

Only to Hawai'i or Alaska.

Let me add a few more examples. Cached version says Supercharger Enabled. Live version doesn't mention supercharging anywhere. This change definitely happened today.

Live version: 85 kWh Performance Model S 5YJSA1DP5DFP21232 | Tesla
Cached version: 85 kWh Performance Model S 5YJSA1DP5DFP21232 | Tesla

Live version: 60 kWh Model S 5YJSA1CG7DFP20844 | Tesla
Cached version: 60 kWh Model S 5YJSA1CG7DFP20844 | Tesla

Live version: 85 kWh Model S 5YJSA1DN5DFP22041 | Tesla
Cached version: 85 kWh Model S 5YJSA1DN5DFP22041 | Tesla

Live version: 85 kWh Performance Model S 5YJSA1H10EFP37622 | Tesla
Cached version: 85 kWh Performance Model S 5YJSA1H10EFP37622 | Tesla

Why are the non-supercharging versions more expensive than when supercharging was free?

Well that is certainly an interesting development. I pulled the trigger on a CPO on Tuesday. My email confirmation specifically lists supercharging:

Your Model S
60 kWh Model S
Blue Metallic Paint
Body Color Roof
19" Wheels
Textile Interior
Piano Black Décor
Supercharging
Tech Package

Yet now when I look at the pdf view of my tesla on the website it shows this:

60 kWh Model S
EXTERIOR
Blue Metallic Paint
Body Color Roof
19" Wheels
INTERIOR
Textile Interior
Piano Black Décor
OPTIONS
Tech Package

I did not print out the pdf on Tuesday, and I honestly don't remember if supercharging was listed on there or not initially. If they retroactively changed it to not include supercharging, I will be pissed.

• Informative
Reactions: Falkirk
This could just be a site change related to the eventual line itemization of Tesla vehicles. It may not mean anything. If it does imply that they're decoupling lifetime Supercharging from CPOs, it doesn't surprise me. However, I'm not ready to make the jump just yet.