Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Update to the Supercharger network policies

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But I don't see it as being difficult at all to disable it without Tesla reaching out, since who wants to own a Tesla without using the app?
I'm not suggesting that Tesla couldn't easily do it, I'm saying they would probably face some serious legal issues by essentially crippling a vehicle after a sale has taken place. The free SC access has some value which was presumably paid for during the sale, removing that seems as if it would be theft of service or something. I'm not a lawyer so I could be wrong.

What it says is "Supercharging is free for the life of your Tesla vehicle, once the Supercharger option is enabled." That's different than saying it's for the life of the vehicle.

I don't see why it is any different than 'life of the car' . 'your' and 'the' both are used to talk about a specific car.
I do not believe this clears Tesla from any legal challenge, If they wrote "for the life of your ownership of the vehicle", then it would be different.

I'm not suggesting that Tesla couldn't easily do it, I'm saying they would probably face some serious legal issues by essentially crippling a vehicle after a sale has taken place. The free SC access has some value which was presumably paid for during the sale, removing that seems as if it would be theft of service or something. I'm not a lawyer so I could be wrong.

If Tesla wants to undermine the resale value of vehicles they resell, they can do that.

However if they try to do that to third parties I expect they would lose the lawsuit. Perfect for small claims court.

Where does Tesla say "free" supercharging passes to a new owner upon the sale of the vehicle? None of my paperwork says that. With Sirius satellite radio, if a new owner calls up because of no service on a lifetime receiver they just bought, Sirius sends out a kill signal and won't even speak to the new owner about the problem unless you sign up for a subscription. This is also common with most other lifetime subs. Remember, the supercharging is not taken away from you and the new owner has no privity of contract with Tesla so good luck with the legal action. I'm not saying there won't be one but I sure wouldn't want to be a part of it, and risk paying some substantial costs for such little benefit.

Reactions: msnow
With Sirius satellite radio, if a new owner calls up because of no service on a lifetime receiver they just bought, Sirius sends out a kill signal and won't even speak to the new owner about the problem unless you sign up for a subscription.
Interesting point but the difference is you paid for a lifetime subscription independently of the physical product. At least as I understand it, you bought a receiver and paid for a lifetime subscription, no? Tesla buyers, other than original 60 buyers, paid for a vehicle that included lifetime SC use.

Interesting point but the difference is you paid for a lifetime subscription independently of the physical product.

Not true. It must be attached to a receiver but it could be transferred twice to other receivers for a small fee. There's a class action suit involving Sirius and a similar lifetime sub issue that I have been following since it interests me:

https://consumermediallc.files.wordpress.com/2016/09/siriuslifetimecompt.pdf

I suspect there might also be one with Tesla, if they do take away free supercharging upon sales, but that's just the cost of doing business for Tesla. They won't be running scared, that's for sure. I'm quite certain they went into this with lawyers reviewing the wording of what was offered.

Perfect for small claims court.

I doubt any Small Claims court has jurisdiction over this type of lawsuit.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Seriously, need to get the Tweet machine going and get Elon to answer this question. This is not a minor "Eh, whatever happens happens" type deal. A free supercharging benefit could literally be worth thousands in resale value to a seller and buyer.

However it's no longer "your" car once you trade it in to Tesla. It's Tesla's car.

I believe the context was private sale, not trading in to Tesla CPO. I am talking only about private sales.

So, you think the following conversation is ok during a private sale?
Seller: Yes, yes. My car has free super charger access. (It is technically his car till the very point of ownership transfer.)
Buyer (right after sale): No, it doesn't have free super charger access. You liar! :)

This is just being sleazy and deceptive, probably plain fraud.

BTW, how will Tesla even know about the private party sale? DMV knows, but how will Tesla know of ownership change?
Will the same sleazy rule apply if the car is gifted to someone, or someone inherits the car?

Not true. It must be attached to a receiver but it could be transferred twice to other receivers for a small fee.
Right, so the lifetime subscription exists as a separate entity from a specific receiver and is purchased separately. In other words you can buy that same receiver without a lifetime subscription. You can't buy a Tesla, (other than the original 60), without SC access, so I don't think it's the same thing, and with the original 60 SC access does not transfer to another vehicle, so again not the same as the Sirius lifetime sub.

Is there some similar benefit a manufacturer offers that may help aid in determining whether Tesla could legally strip a privately sold Tesla of the free, lifetime SC access?
Do "free maintenance and oil changes for first X years" benefits transfer to new owners of privately sold gas cars, for example?

That's not the case with private sales as Tesla isn't a party to that transaction.

BTW, how will Tesla even know about the private party sale? DMV knows, but how will Tesla know of ownership change?

Ah, but most times a new owner creates their own My Tesla account. Then Tesla knows about the transfer and could offer up a supercharger plan to the new owner if tbey wanted to.

Right, so the lifetime subscription exists as a separate entity from a specific receiver and is purchased separately. In other words you can buy that same receiver without a lifetime subscription. You can't buy a Tesla, (other than the original 60), without SC access, so I don't think it's the same thing, and with the original 60 SC access does not transfer to another vehicle, so again not the same as the Sirius lifetime sub.

I don't see the distinction you make as having much relevance in relation to the main issue.

Is there some similar benefit a manufacturer offers that may help aid in determining whether Tesla could legally strip a privately sold Tesla of the free, lifetime SC access?
Do "free maintenance and oil changes for first X years" benefits transfer to new owners of privately sold gas cars, for example?

I can't find any example where "lifetime" benefits transfers to a new owner. The closest is Sirius and they take it away from new owners.

Unless someone can show that Tesla sold you supercharging that transfers to a new owner upon the sale of your vehicle, it seems premature to me to say that Tesla can't "legally" take supercharging away from new owners (and let's also remember they still haven't said this). The issue of legality is something that the courts must decide and not people on a forum. It certainly seems legal to me. In fact, this is not even an issue in the Sirius lawsuit. But I'm not the judge or jury and both sides deserve an opportunity to present evidence, cross-examine witnesses, argue the issues, and receive judgment. Before that time comes, in my view it is not fair for us to be labeling something legal or illegal.

Reactions: Falkirk and msnow

Yes, they generally do, unless explicitly excluded. A 1 minute search turned up this page.
Free Car Maintenance Programs | Edmunds
Edmunds said:
It's best to think of these maintenance programs as a type of warranty. The programs apply whether you buy or lease the car and are transferable to subsequent owners. It's important to note that in some cases there are time and mileage limitations. For example, some automakers require that the free car maintenance be performed within 1,500-2,000 miles of the recommended service intervals. They are also subject to change from one model year to the next.

Here is their pdf with more details about specific automakers' programs. Cadillac, Chevrolet and GMC explicitly mention that the plan is "transferable". I do not think Tesla is in a new territory that it will set the first precedence. Isn't the extended warranty transferable already?
https://static.ed.edmunds-media.com...maintenance.programs/free.vehicle.maint.5.pdf

but I don't see Tesla only making CPO's without free supercharging if they didn't intend it for every used vehicle. That's just a way to drive down the price of CPO's

I doubt it would drive the prices of CPO cars down much. They still come with free Supercharging, (400kWh/year), which is enough for most people, especially if it includes the ability to roll-it-over. And the CPOs come with a fresh 4-year 50k warranty, that a used car doesn't come with. (Yes, a used car might come with an ESA, but it isn't the same, as isn't always possible.)

But most importantly it removes cars from the free unlimited Supercharging pool, which is good for Tesla so they will probably take whatever hit they need to. In fact as, I have said before, I wouldn't be surprised if Tesla started paying the same or, even more, than private sale value for trade-ins with unlimited Supercharging just so they can turn it off. (Some people have even said they would take a one-time payment, or free maintenance visits, from Tesla to switch their car to the new plan since it meets their needs.)

I don't see why it is any different than 'life of the car' . 'your' and 'the' both are used to talk about a specific car.
I do not believe this clears Tesla from any legal challenge, If they wrote "for the life of your ownership of the vehicle", then it would be different.
I think they could have written it in an unambiguous way had they wanted to but they didn't.