Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UPDATED] 2 die in Tesla crash - NHTSA reports driver seat occupied

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do they have 60 votes ? If not, makes no difference.

But on the whole - I actually agree that NTSB should set driver monitoring standards. Usually when these things are done - they will give manufacturers quite a bit of time to implement (legacy auto needs years & years to make any change).

I wonder if Tesla can sue Mark Herman for his "100% certain" stories told to the media.
LOL. I believe in US, cops can kill with impunity let alone get sued for statements that may later turn out to be not true.

No, the rear doors on the S&X can be opened via a manual override even if the 12v system fails. (But most people don't know where it is because they don't bother to read the manual.)
Yes, because the average person in the back of a vehicle is expected to have read the manual for the vehicle they are in as a passenger.
Functionally, the doors do not open without 12V. There is *a* way to open them, but it has nothing to do with the normal way. You have to peel back carpet or pop off a speaker cover.

The Model 3/Y does not have any way to override the rear doors, so clearly this is not something Tesla finds is needed for acceptable safety.

Last edited:
What exactly does "deformed" mean here - bent ? How does that prove there was likely someone in the seat ?

I imagine it depends on how it was deformed, which Tesla and NTSB/NHTSA witnessed. And they have experience in knowing how a steering wheel deforms in various accidents. So they concluded that it was likely that there was a person in the driver's seat.

So, definitely a driver monitoring system.
Assuming your only requirement is "are hands on wheel and disagreeing with my motions" not "is driver paying attention".
Weight in seat or seatbelt engaged would be a driver monitoring system as well by this very basic definition. You could even claim a microphone listening to hear if the driver is snoring is a driver monitoring system.

• Disagree
Reactions: qdeathstar
So this supports the original, most-likely scenario - a failed speed demo. No attempt to circumvent the safety mechanisms. Maybe the two were headed for a an AP demo outside the unincorporated area of the Woodlands, but sadly never made it. The crash would have happened in an ICE Corvette or Hellcat just as easily. Don't expect a correction/retraction from the MSM.
Every article published (around the world) should have a correction to it. The press has made this be or sound like an autopilot story. Sure wonder what Consumer Reports will say about this.

I wonder if Tesla can sue Mark Herman for his "100% certain" stories told to the media.

It would be even better if Tesla sued all main stream media who perpetuated the "Autopilot crash" fake news.
This seems to have worked great for Dominion for the Stolen Election narrative -- ever since they filed the suits all media avoids mentioning those words and cut off any interviewed person who attempts to bring up anything of the sort.

I imagine it depends on how it was deformed, which Tesla and NTSB/NHTSA witnessed. And they have experience in knowing how a steering wheel deforms in various accidents. So they concluded that it was likely that there was a person in the driver's seat.
You always make a good point. The only reason why I hesitate about the word "Likely" a person was in the front in a preliminary assessment, I am trying to imagine someone in the front seat being able to deform a very hard steering wheel in an accident yet not causing enough damage to their 59 year old body that they can then still get out of that set. But yea, the NTSB will have a much better idea after the final review.

Assuming your only requirement is "are hands on wheel and disagreeing with my motions" not "is driver paying attention".
Weight in seat or seatbelt engaged would be a driver monitoring system as well by this very basic definition. You could even claim a microphone listening to hear if the driver is snoring is a driver monitoring system.
People can have their eyes on the road and be lost in thought. I think on some long drives that’s particularly true. No way to monitor for that.

You always make a good point. The only reason why I hesitate about the word "Likely" a person was in the front in a preliminary assessment, I am trying to imagine someone in the front seat being able to deform a very hard steering wheel in an accident yet not causing enough damage to their 59 year old body that they can then still get out of that set. But yea, the NTSB will have a much better idea after the final review.
Per Elon on the Q1 call, there were no fastened seat belts. The driver may have ended up on the back seat through physics, not of their own volition. Especially if the mention up thread of the car being angled up the tree is accurate.

It's hard to imagine a scenaio where a crash has sufficent deceleration for a steering wheel to deform purely due to its own mass.

Per Elon on the Q1 call, there were no fastened seat belts. The driver may have ended up on the back seat through physics, not of their own volition.
yup, I heard that too. I was wondering were those guys both deaf or just not care about the constant dinging sound of the unfastened seat belt that drives me nuts if I forget to click it. :) Hard for me to imagine someone ending up in a back seat from physics in a FORWARD crash, but I guess anything is possible.

This is the reason why some kind of std would be good to establish - after thorough R&D.

"Is driver paying attention" is a very difficult problem to solve. Neuralink perhaps ?

Per Elon on the Q1 call, there were no fastened seat belts.
So they have no datalogs, but are 100% sure the seatbelts weren't fastened at the moment of impact? How? Couldn't they be unfastened after the impact? It's highly likely that Elon means "they were found unfastened" in his notoriously imprecise language.
The mix of data here isn't consistent and it's quite possible the words said on this call are just adding to the confusion.