Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UPDATED] 2 die in Tesla crash - NHTSA reports driver seat occupied

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It was the Constable, Mark Hermann.

And we're not questioning his statement because we can't send him questions. But his statement definitely needs more explaining.

That's what I mean. Elon isn't answering questions either: probably for similar reasons. But that doesn't stop a ton of people from asking the pertinent questions and the media pointing the spotlight of scrutiny on Tesla. Use the same spotlight on the constable. Ask the questions. If he can't answer, I bet he'll answer when the NTSB asks him!

Mike

So the article linked above has a picture of the doctor's house, it's the one right next to the crash site.

You've got the wrong house. The house in the picture in your linked article matches the Google Maps satellite view of 2 Hammock Dunes, at the very end of the cul-de-sac, not the house right next to the crash site (14 Hammock Dunes). I've also seen 2 Hammock Dunes listed as his address online.

Reactions: ev_go123
I have tested TACC in my M3 and I don't think I can even get to 40mph with it over 400 ft distance they had. Please guys, go and really try to accelerate your car on TACC/AP/FSD over 400 ft before even suggesting that the car could hit the tree at a high (50+mph I guess) speed without somebody pushing on the accelerator.

I just tried this a few times in my Model 3, and found that TACC alone got it up to 40-41mph over a 400 ft distance. (Used Google Maps to measure a 400 ft distance.)

So not a "high rate of speed" by traditional standards. That said, 40mph still feels awfully fast when thinking about slamming headfirst into a tree. Idk if such a crash at that speed would or wouldn't have enough force to potentially damage a Model S's battery pack. (Not that I'm not putting any money on the TACC or AP theories anyway.)

I just tried this a few times in my Model 3, and found that TACC alone got it up to 40-41mph over a 400 ft distance. (Used Google Maps to measure a 400 ft distance.)

So not a "high rate of speed" by traditional standards. That said, 40mph still feels awfully fast when thinking about slamming headfirst into a tree. Idk if such a crash at that speed would or wouldn't have enough force to potentially damage a Model S's battery pack. (Not that I'm not putting any money on the TACC or AP theories anyway.)
Hitting the sewer/manhole cover could maybe have damaged the pack, as mentioned before.

Reactions: jsmay311
There are definitely deer in those woods.
Based on that, driver/passenger demographics, and others' speculation, I'd think an Occam compatible sequence would be:

1) two guys go for a test drive.
2) driver (or collision avoidance?) swerves to avoid hitting a deer, presumably in the middle of the road.
3) battery damaged by tree impact and potentially also manhole cover, with ensuing fire.
4) Driver can't get his door open, and also fails to get rear door open (perhaps due to unfamiliarity with mechanical latch).

No need for any AP gymnastics, crazy driving, etc. The one piece of information that has not been released is whether the rear seatbelt was buckled, which if so would greatly discount this speculation.

Last edited:
Very good point. Someone or something must steer the car to end up at the end of the curve on the left toward the trees and not straight ahead toward the lake.

At a high speed with no controls, it's even more likely that it should go straight toward the lake and not to steer with the curve to the left toward the trees.

Standard AP has autosteer.

Edit: Not saying I think AP caused the wreck, but for other reasons. I mean, we don’t know how fast the car was going for sure.

40mph into a tree might present with similar damage pre fire. Tesla’s have a larger crumple zone.

couple that with a tender box of pine needles and a spark who knows.

Last edited:
Standard AP has autosteer.
Edit: Not saying I think AP caused the wreck, but for other reasons.

Until we can see the full log, there are just too many holes to poke through and we can imagine all kinds of crazy scenarios.

Each task by itself is possible but how many tasks fit together to make sense is still a mystery.

The police said no one drove it.

Elon implied that not his Autopilot either.

If humans didn't, Autopilot didn't, then come on... who or what did?

Reactions: pilotSteve
You've got the wrong house. The house in the picture in your linked article matches the Google Maps satellite view of 2 Hammock Dunes, at the very end of the cul-de-sac, not the house right next to the crash site (14 Hammock Dunes). I've also seen 2 Hammock Dunes listed as his address online.
Ahh you are correct! His house was at the very end of the the cul de sac:
1619034949353.png

1619034988618.png

Unless the engineer in the passenger seat tried to steer upon realizing something was wrong. We don't know if the car's path followed that curve that well.
I think the biggest limitation is time. Just 20 seconds or less. Thats not much of a time to start TACC/AP and move back from the front seat to back (or from driver to passenger). Apart from the age & occupation of the men.

Occam's razor would suggest
- Manual operation
- Moving to a different seat after crash

My AppleNews popped up this story from Vice. While it paints some owners commenting on how this could have happened as conspiracy theorists defending Elon/Tesla LOL, I see us as owners who drive their cars trying to understand how what was reported by the police as driverless as happening compared to what we know about the car and how it drives. Nothing strange trying to understand or a conspiracy angle taken. I think people on these threads learn a lot about the car and deductive reasoning. TMC posts are included in the article. Don’t know about you guys but I have learned a lot from past accident investigations including more than I ever knew before about different types of highway barriers.

Last edited:
My AppleNews popped up this story from Vice. While it paints some owners commenting on how this could have happened as conspiracy theorists defending Elon/Tesla LOL, I see us as owners who drive their cars trying to understand how what was reported by the police as driverless as happening compared to what we know about the car and how it drives. Nothing strange trying to understand or a conspiracy angle taken. I think people on these threads learn a lot about the car and deductive reasoning. TMC posts are included in the article. Don’t know about you guys but I have learned a lot from past accident investigations including more than I ever knew before about different types of highway barriers.

I don't think too many people seriously think there's a conspiracy theory by "big media" against Tesla to support the status quo. I think most people who think Tesla is unfairly treated in the media think Tesla gets undue attention because it generates clicks and views, regardless of relevancy or accuracy of the story.

A lot of the same speculation is going on at /r/SelfDrivingCars, which I don't think is particularly pro-Tesla.

Reactions: S4WRXTTCS