Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[updated with *] P85D 691HP should have an asterisk * next to it.. "Up to 691HP"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We are primarily interested in the low end of the hub RPM range, given the 0-60 speed range of primary interest. Therefore, I'm visualizing a 2:1 planetary gear (or similar) adapter between the Tesla and the Dynapak.

At this point, you have to ask yourself, what's the point of this? You're just introducing more loss. Planetary gear??? Could be something like 15% loss in just the gear. Dyno's were always stupid for cars anyway, at best they were a tool to allow precise tuning of the engine IF they were load-based dyno's and you had a skilled engineer (read: not a mechanic) in charge of the dyno and software tuning.

Road dyno is the only way to go, and the only reason for that is to confirm the accuracy of the power gauge -built into the dashboard- of the Model S. But by all means continue this self-satisfying thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
I sat down last weekend and read this entire thread. Like others here, I'm very curious to get some hard data for the P85D so that we can see exactly what it's really doing.

The question, of course, is how to get that data. 65 pages so far, and we still have nothing but the dashboard meter and maybe some of the REST API data. We don't have a single well-done full dyno run. I appreciate those here that are trying to find a suitable dyno unit that has the required features (can measure independent front/rear wheel drive) and the proper size (can handle the P85D's torque). However, this seems unlikely so far.

I'd like to propose an alternative, that while not as accurate, will give us enough data to analyze the two primary questions in this thread:

1. What is the combined peak output power of the P85D's motors? How does it compare to the 85D? Is it near Tesla's claimed power levels?
2. Does the P85D decrease it's power output given different states of charge (the original question at the beginning of the thread) ?

I believe we can gather enough data to reach reasonable educated conclusions to these questions using a good dyno app for the phone. I know this was briefly discussed in this thread and deemed fairly inaccurate, but I believe this method may be more accurate that it was given credit for. I tested my 85D with PerfExpert, a dyno app I purchased, and it appears to me that the results are accurate enough to give meaningful input to the questions above.

The results of my dyno test on an 85D are here: https://network.perfexpert-app.com/results/IFML9GbQCz I posted this in another thread, but I think it's actually more meaningful here.

As you can see from the dyno graph, this has several expected characteristics of the Model S power and torque curves:

1. Torque is maximum and constant from 0 to about 37 MPH.
2. Power ramps up linearly from the start, then levels off to a near-constant value at about 37 MPH, where torque begins to decrease.
3. The absolute value of the power level at peak (361 kW) has a very high correlation with an independent power measurement from the REST API (which gave 370 kW).
4. While not shown in the dyno run, I also did a 0-60 timed run with the app, and it gave me 4.44 seconds for the 85D, right on the spec.

Given that the app appears to be generating torque/power curves that correlate very well with expectations and other independent measurements, I feel it would suffice for giving us the data for the P85D that could shed light on the questions above.

The app does not use GPS on the phone at all, it only uses the accelerometers. PerfExpert's web site claims that this is because the GPS in phones is not accurate enough to get these measurements, and can only be read from between 1 and 5 times per second (1-5 Hz) depending on the phone, which is not enough. They claim that the accelerometers in phones can be read from 10-200 Hz, depending on the phone.

The PerfExpert run above for my 85D was taken on a Samsung Note 4, which is a quite new phone with good hardware.

To minimize the potential absolute error and run-to-run error, and to minimize bias in individual phones, we should do the following if we want to properly collect this data for analysis using this app:

1. A highly accurate curb weight of the P85D needs to be found using a scale. The curb weight listed in the Model S manual does not give different curb weights caused by differences between battery pack size (60 vs 85), motor size or quantity (85 vs 85D vs P85D), or options with additional weight (air suspension, dual chargers, ultra high fi sound, power liftgate). Each P85D that is tested needs this accurate curb weight.
2. Proper calibration procedure for the accelerometers must be followed specifically as outlined in the PerfExpert manual.
3. A variety of different phones should be used to compare results across different accelerometer hardware.
4. A consistent set of parameters needs to be entered by each tester into PerfExpert (except curb weight).
5. Multiple tests with different states of charge should be tested to be able to answer the 2nd question.
6. Other dyno apps should be tested as well to see if they are consistent, and evaluate which one might be the most accurate.
7. It is known that the dyno apps have some inaccuracies that cannot be compensated for. The accelerometers in the phones are less accurate than a chassis dynamometer. Some phones may not have enough processing power to accurately collect the data on the test runs. The dyno app is actually back-computing all figures making some assumptions, including drive train losses, that may not be accurate, especially for the Tesla. Nevertheless, the comparison of results between different runs and different cars will enable us to deduce reasonable answers to the questions even if the absolute values of the parameters are off.

Please note: I an not affiliated with PerfExpert in any way, other than I bought it to test my 85D. I won't post the link here, just search the Google Play store (Android) or Apple app store (iPhone) and you'll find it. Read their FAQ on their web site, these guys really seem to know what they're doing and appear to have taken great pains to make the app as accurate as possible.

A poster above had it quite correct -- 65 pages and we're still discussing things in a complete vacuum of data. At this point, ANY reasonably accurate data is better than this, even if it's not 100% accurate.

I plan to do a separate thread for this but since its highly relevant to the discussion... Using the REST API and for 3 different cars with 85kWh battery (P85D vs P85 vs S85) and using the best acceleration figures so far I plotted this graph.

One thing stands out in my tests. The ramp-up is almost always the same for a given car but the peak (and plateau) power are not always the same. It seems to depends mostly on pack temperature (higher temp yields higher peak power output) and of course SOC %. All these tests were done at 90%. For example, I have multiple logs where for a P85 and a S85 the plateau is precisely the same at 331kW. Which is kinda high for a S85 and a bit low for a P85.

Best observed peak power so far:

P85D: 414kW (555hp)
P85: 352kW (472hp)
S85: 310kW (416hp)

I'll get more data soon.

S85-P85-P85D comparison.png

Last edited:
For example, I have multiple logs where for a P85 and a S85 the plateau is precisely the same at 331kW. Which is kinda high for a S85 and a bit low for a P85.

Best observed peak power so far:
S85: 310kW (416hp)

Hi @Kalud, great plot! Could you clarify: you say you saw S85 plateau at max 331kW but "best peak" for S85 is 310kW. Is one a mistake or are you defining things differently?

How to measure?

Dyno(s) seem to be out. So how about we measure the car. Mass is well known, so the only thing we need to measure is the movement of the car. Proposals have included many things. Accelerometer? In phone? Or more expensive device? GPS? How many updates per second? How accurate? Drag track that measures 1/4Mile or 1/8Mile speed? 60 foot times? None of them have worked.

Why are we being so fancy? Since we are talking about a 0-60 MPH run here, wherein the car moves about 150 to 180 feet. Around 50 meters. Why not just measure it physically? Say, every 1/100 of a second. From such a data set, and the weight of the car, we can calculate everything being questioned in this debate, with an extremely high degree of accuracy.

If everyone agrees that knowing the absolute position of the car, to a fraction of a millimeter, along with a a precise timestamp for each position, over a span of 0-60 (and therefore about 50 meters)... if everyone agrees that will lead to un-questionable calculations... then I will agree to develop, and "open-source" publish the "build it yourself" plans for, a low cost device that will do this. I can think of at least three different ways, all cheap, all precise and accurate.

Thoughts?

Just did a few runs with the Powertools app. SOC was 71% and power maxed out at 383KW or 513 hp assuming 0% losses from the inverter and motor. The needle at this level of SOC is over the right side of the 0 in the 480 tick. Above an SOC of 78%, the needle moves to the left side of that 0, so I'll try again tomorrow at an SOC of 90%. Hoping to get up to that same 414KW in the graph above.

This is not the hp that Tesla has advertised.

I just did a couple runs at lower SOCs (63 and 48) with the Powertools app. The CSV files seem to have a datapoint resolution of 250ms so as far as I can tell, you will get 3.0, 3.25, 3.5, 3.75, etc. for acceleration. I got 3.5 seconds both times. I noticed a couple milliseconds of jitter between some of the timestamps, so you may actually see a 3.499 for example, but depite the apparent millisecond accuracy, it's really only accurate to a quarter second (assuming no other sources of error of course). That means it's not really useful for recording an accurate 0-60 time, but it should at least tell you if you're in the right ballpark.

Max torque recorded was 367kW on the 48 SOC and 372kW on the 63 SOC. Again, because the time resolution is so low, the actual peak could have been a bit higher, but judging by the other nearby datapoints, probably no more than a few kW.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's the graph of my 63 SOC run (372kW peak):

Capture.PNG

Did a grocery store run tonight at SOC 64. Peak KW this time was 373 KW. So it looks like a natural linear decline in peak output based on SOC.

So those earlier in this thread who were claiming this and all of us who were dismissing it until we had more proof were right all along.

Tesla has som 'splainin to do.

Tesla has som 'splainin to do.

Here's the 'splanation I got from them a few days ago:

Tesla said:
At Tesla, we're less concerned about numbers and more about actual performance. HP figures are great for headlines and achieving top speed. We advertise motor power just as petrol vehicles often advertise power at the crank (as opposed to power at the wheels). Torque is what gives you that acceleration, and that's what can be appreciated in day to day driving, and really when it becomes apparent P85D has ample power, as seen by all the tests done on dyno’s.

This is a response that they sent you in email? Did you ask them to provide links to dynos? They only dyno done that is out in the wild currently only shows 400 hp at the wheels.

No, my enquiry was mostly about the delayed RHD P85D deliveries, and the power issue was only mentioned in passing. Since I don't have any first hand experience driving or even sitting in a P85D, I didn't want to press the matter further. Right now I'd be pretty happy if they manage to deliver the car less than a year after ordering! (Ordered in October 2014 shortly after the D announcement, expected delivery in September 2015…)

Since I don't have any first hand experience driving or even sitting in a P85D, I didn't want to press the matter further.

I didn't until today.

I was lost for words, as a passenger i just made some weird shrieking noises and started waving my hands. Its stupid fast.

On the second launch the blood went from my feet and upwards in my body. You can do your graphs and look at the data but my body is telling me this car is a FREAK!